Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Questionable race results - UPDATE
Quote | Reply
I feel like a douche for posting this, but wondering what other people think. Feel like this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy for searching.

First race of the season today. Super sprint with a pool swim (400m/6mile/2mile). Finished 3rd in my age group and PR'd by 3:28, so I'm super stoked with my result. It's the 4th time I've been 3rd in my age group at this race and the only podiums I've ever had.

I was just looking at the times and the guy who won my age group has a questionable bike time to me. It states he biked the 6 miles in 10:53 giving him an average of 33MPH. This seems absurdly fast. Only one other person in the top 30 broke 14 minutes and that guy was at 13:47 (26MPH) and I'll buy that. But 10:53!?! This seems like he skipped a loop on the 3 loop course.

Here's my dilemma...if he really did skip a loop, I actually came in 2nd AG and the guy who was 2nd actually won. Is it ridiculous or petty of me to bring it up to the RD?

And go...I'm prepared to be made fun of.
Last edited by: teichs42: Apr 23, 15 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with asking the RD if the bike split was ligit and confirmed via timing or something. It's all about how you approach it. If you ask nicely without suggesting that he cheated, the RD might look into it and give you a fair answer, and will probably act if something looks suspicious. If you start throwing accusing immediately you will come across as a douche.

But I don't see why it would be wrong to ask nicely!

Quote | Reply
What was his run split? That is quick but not out of the realm of possible for a 6 mile TT. Curious what his bike setup was... Look him up on athlinks or whatever and see if you can find some other other results that suggest he's capable of such a bike split.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think this is a good idea. I definitely wouldn't want to accuse anyone of anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the RD if you want, but what are you really asking for? The 2d place medal? Changing the results online that no one but you will ever look at?

Not sure I'd do anything for a local super sprint, but I wouldn't make fun of you for contacting the RD.

However - if it were a question of qualifying for Nationals and there was an actual consequence by dropping you out of the top 10% (and you wanted to go) then you should definitely ask
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His run split was 16:42. Only thing I found on Athlinks was 70.3 San Juan this year @ 2:54. Which is way better than my HIM PR, so who am I to talk. But 33MPH just seems crazy fast to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if I was a betting man, I would wager he cut the course (whether intentionally or unintentionally). 16:42 for 2 miles after a ride like that?? he must have really over cooked the bike, haha. As the other poster said, unless there's something to be gained by having the results changed, let it go. Congrats on finishing 2nd in your AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, if I understand you correctly, he avg. 19.3 for 56 at San Juan and 33 at your SS? It's possible he had a mechanical or some other issue at San Juan, but I don't think your concern is baseless either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is something to be gained. I would move from 3rd to 2nd. And somebody else would rightfully win the AG. And someone who broke the rules, whether intentionally or unintentionally, would be penalized. This is like the pro race in Bahrain. Guys cut the course unknowingly, and they were served penalties. The results changed due to those penalties. It happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To put his bike split in perspective, it's a faster pace than won the 2003 Prologue of the TdF (which was only 6.5k). We're talking the best professional bikers on the planet in full doping mode (it's 2003) without a swim or run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._Prologue_to_Stage_9

He'd also have beat Cancellara and Wiggins in the 2012 prologue.

Yeah, he missed a lap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They say a bank robber always returns to the scene of the crime. If your investigation leads to a finding of an irregularity, but a level plain for your age group next year, you've done future athletes a favor.

I agree with the other posters in that the answer is obtained "for the greater good," not so you can get a 2nd place medal. You're 2nd place already in your heart, log book and on Slowtwitch. Places where it counts.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
This is like the pro race in Bahrain.

I didn't realize your super sprint had a $500,000 prize purse. In light of this, yes I would most certainly raise my concerns with the RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless there's no turns, downhill from T1, uphill finish to T2, slightly wind aided, no way. He'd have to average 35mph at least to factor in acceleration and de-acceleration.

I'm pretty damn aero and 35mph I'm pretty sure is over VO2max for me and for 11 minutes, best you be able to run off of is 115%.... maybe. 115%, I'm at around 32mph I think. Those next 3 mph will take a lot more power!!!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the total time for the race in line with his other results?
A timing company in our area is well known for having the wrong splits but the OA time is normally correct. At one race they had me listed as "running " a 4:53 pace at a race. I'm a 50+ female.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naw, not possible. That would be a pro level performance and he would be well known in the area as an amazing time trialist.

If it means something to you, send it in. I wouldn't worry about it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should have known that he missed a loop. Maybe it was an honest mistake but he didn't
make it right by fessing up. He's a douche canoe for not coming forth. Yes, I'm going to use douche
canoe every chance I get from now on.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing no mention of this from before this week. I'm way out of touch.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say something.....you put in the time and effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
His run split was 16:42. Only thing I found on Athlinks was 70.3 San Juan this year @ 2:54. Which is way better than my HIM PR, so who am I to talk. But 33MPH just seems crazy fast to me

FLAG IT

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
His run split was 16:42.
Anyone who can bike at 33 mph for more than a couple of minutes on the flat without a big tailwind must have some issues if they can't do better than an 8:21 pace for a 2-mile run.

Could be several things, as already discussed. Maybe he really struggles with his running. Or he accidentally missed a lap. Or he skipped one lap on purpose. Or the timing was bad. In any case, it wouldn't be a big deal for me, but you may have other concerns.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Anyone who can bike at 33 mph for more than a couple of minutes on the flat...
It was a super sprint pool tri. Even 23 mph is almost suspicious let alone 33. Why is this even a thread? Just email the RD and the timing company and they'll fix it - or they're the ones paddling douche canoes.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Event Power race at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, NY yesterday???

I was a bike safety marshal. I'm also a pretty good biker, and there was no one there yesterday that could do 33 mph average on that course. I suppose it's possible that someone holding a pro card could do it, but between the turns, the sand, and the road conditions, not to mention the parking lot in and out section you would be risking your safety and everyone else's trying to pull it off.

The question really is, why do you care? That race was originally a Try-a-Tri event that has slowly morphed into what it is today - a well run beginners race.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was that race.

Why do I care? This is tough to answer because obviously I want the race to be fair and I want to know that the organizers are paying attention to things like that and trying to put on a fair, well run race (which I think they already do). These races are expensive, even a pool sprint and I want to know that the money is working towards the best race possible. At the same time, I don't want to be that guy. But also at the same time, if I legitimately came in second, I want to know! As I'm sure the guy who should have won would. I know it seems ridiculous but I don't get much success in this sport and when I do it feels good and keeps me motivated to train and get better.

I agree that it's a well run beginners race, it was the first race I ever did, but let's be real here...there are a large number of people at this race who are not beginners. They are seasoned vets who come to race hard and test their off season fitness. And even if it was a beginners race, so what? That means that it shouldn't be held to a high standard where the rules are followed and when they're not people aren't penalized? That would discredit this race, which I don't want to do and I'm sure the organizers don't want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

The question really is, why do you care? That race was originally a Try-a-Tri event that has slowly morphed into what it is today - a well run beginners race.

Why do you care that he cares? He cares because it directly effected him, you had to go out of your way to be effected by this.

Like others I wouldn't do anything. Actually I would go for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Questionable race results [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you ajthomas and I respect that you wouldn't do anything. Still not sure if I will or not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next