Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question on ice baths
Quote | Reply
I think most people will agree that, while uncomfortable, ice baths are effective as a recovery tool following a hard or long workout.

My question is are they still as effective if done several hours after the workout, such as in the evening. Due to my schedule I often do harder or longer workouts in the morning, then have to go straight to work but afterwards in the evening after the kids are in bed can take a 10-15 minute ice bath. Are they still as effective done then??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Question on ice baths [Mr Pibb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
later in the day i think it will still help. but my first inclination is to do a hot/cold shower instead, and extreme alternate temperatures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, it will still help. Inflammation hangs around for up to 72 hours, but most noticeable the first 36 hours or so. I love the post long run ice bath (well, I don't really like the ice bath) recovery method.

Quote | Reply
I have done them several times after a race or a race simulation workout (back in the good ol' days) between ten minutes and four hours. It always felt better. I used to wash down my legs with ice water after a run or a long ride. Shame I neglected my core muscles, or I would probably be still competing...

Get the inflammation down. I would say it's best after a workout, but within the day of it will be good to reduce inflammation.
Quote Reply