Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for you mechanics: brake cable/housing
Quote | Reply
I installed a brake cable/housing on my TT bike (Vision bar) and every time I hit the brake lever and release it, the cable end comes out of the lever... I checked cable tension and that doesn't seem to be the issue, no slack there. The only thing I can think of is that the housing angle that goes from the basebar to the stem, which also has a barrel adjuster in the middle, might be too sharp. Could that be the reason for what is happening?

I'd like somebody's opinion on this before I take the housing apart and re-do it since I would need longer housing. Anybody experienced that before?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you mechanics: brake cable/housing [mribo4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. What you describe is most likely due to excessive friction between cable and housing, probably due to as you described, sharp bends. Couple with that is many bikes come with OEM brakes (non shimano or campy) that have lower than normal return spring force. In some cases you can adjust this force by moving the anchoring point of the return spring on the brake caliper.....but first step is to make sure cable friction is low. The spring tension adjust is a last resort.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you mechanics: brake cable/housing [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I will give that a shot
Quote Reply