Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Softrider riders
Quote | Reply
I'm just not digging my new ride too much. I've been out on it six or seven times, doing 50 miles yesterday, and I am having some serious buyer's remorse. When I initially rode it out of the bike shop, I was in love. However, since then, my enthusiasm has dwindled. I'm seriously considering selling it and going back to the hard tail.

I think part of it may stem from comments that some riding buddies have made to me about power-transfer, i.e., that they lost 1 to 1.5 mph while riding Softies vs. a triangle-type frame. I certainly haven't noticed any improvement in my speed since starting to ride my Softride...in fact, I think I'm going slower than on my Allez (which has Armadillo tires, super old Mavic training rims, and rain fenders on it, i.e., it's one heavy mofo).

Did this happen to any of you? Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [Oregondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go back to the other forum and see my post there Dave..don't give up on the Softs just yet..unless you're selling...cheap:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the reason why test riding Softrides does not work IMO. I have owned two and had some excellent perfromances on them. I was a little faster on a Softride than a traditional style frame- sometimes (in the case of the pavement being poor quality) I was much faster.

Based on my own personal experience in owning, riding, racing and selling a few Softrides (not many though) you must learn how to pedal slightly differently. It takes time to develop the technique. Once you do the bike is a tool to help you go faster than a rigid frame.

While the Softride frame design has some limitations (as does every product) overall I think it is dramatically underrated.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of softrides, of course I sold mine b/c of the extra wrenching.
You will have to learn to pedal different. no more stomping down only. I was sponsored by a big name bike maker but couldn't get a good fit. I was going about 3-6min slower for my bike/run times in races for two years.
Got the softride raced on it 3 weeks later and was about 4 min faster than my avg for the previous season B&R times.
It's a fast bike, as Tom D said even faster on rough pavement.
Give it time, if you still don't like it in 2 months email me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame is stiff. Only the beam is soft. Read the Slowman's reviews in the product review section.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - curious... what are the limitations that you are referring to. I am curious b'cuz i think softride may be on my short list when it comes time for a new frame. Thanks

jg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, thanks for posting responses to this one...it's reassuring to get positive feedback on big purchases!

Question for you all...you all say that I need to learn how to pedal a bit differently...how do I do this? How do I develop this technique?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not the best person to answer this, but I do a lot of thinking about pullling up on the backside, or lifting and pushing over the top,or push-pull. I just wish I knew which was best.
We all know what Frank Day would say....PC's. I'm not sure that that is wrong. I sure thinking about them.

PS. I just love powering right over any bumps, since I don't have to soak them up with my rear.

Last edited by: docfuel: Jun 13, 04 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you'll go out and ride, just push on the pedals. don't try to lift up or pull through the top. just push down. you'll see the beam start to go bong bong up and down. then go turns circles trying to neither push down or forcefully pull up. the beam becomes quite. no more bouncing.
Better yet go to a tri and watch the softrides. some of the riders look like they are on a pogo stick. others are quiet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 13, 04 20:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden beam bikes for many years, Zipps and Softrides, I currently have one of both. The best training for pedaling correctly (on any bike - BTW) is one leg drills. I do these religiously every week. I ride 1 mile each leg, 1/2 mile each legX2, for a total of 4 miles. The first 1 mile repeats are done on the aerobars, I then change to the cowhorn ends. You'll be amazed how much this helps your cycling. If you've never done this, don't get discouraged the first few times, its very hard. Many years ago I started with 20-30 revolutions per leg X5 and worked up to what I do today. I even do some hill, (well, OK, bridge repeats) work with one leg drills.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am suffering from buyer's remorse with my new Rocket TT7. It seems to be plenty speedy enough, but I can't get comfortable on it; my shoulders are miserable after 15 or 20 miles. I've been fitted and refitted by the Expert, at vast expense, but all I can think of now is riding my comfy, albeit slow road bike.

Good luck with your dilemma; keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [norton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the EXPERT is only expert at one way. It can be set up almost anyway you want. If one's shoulder are wide, the arm rest might have to be a little wider than the knees. You might be better off with steep, or possibly with the Cobb type slack set up.

I tried a bunch of different set ups until I went to a FIST guy and have been faster and more comfortable since. I had tried a bunch of different set-ups before that.

I don't see how the shoulders are specific to the Softride,since the front of the bike is not that different. from other bikes.

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might need to go to a shorter or longer stem. adjusting the height might give you more comfort as well

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go to a completely different fitter. u need a different mindset to get set up right. oddly enough, I had lots of trouble getting comfortable in my aerobars, but now they're so good, I could fall asleep in them and road bars are very uncomfortable.

http://www.barefootrunning.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a Softride for a week, after building it up for a friend. It was a cool experience, because of the way it eats up bumps, but it's very demanding in terms of pedalling form. I was tempted to get one, just to help me pedal better circles.

I can always tell a new Softride owner, because they look like kangaroos heading up the road. We all know pedalling good circles makes you faster; the Softride is just more demanding in this regard.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the talk about learning to pedal differently was bunk. I pedaled just fine as soon as I got on the bike. There was no "pedaling" learning curve for me. Perhaps I just had proper pedal technique, but I doubt it. I did not bounce at all, and I enjoyed the ride. The learning curve for me was in remembering to put all of my weight on my bottom for a better ride. That meant no "dismounts" or standing on the pedals when going over bumps or around corners, putting all of my weight on the saddle provided the best ride and best performance.

I found that my Softride did not handle like a sports car as had my Aegis and especially not like my Calfee. It was more of a limousine. I kind of aimed it where I wanted to go, rather than the bike knowing what I wanted to do as an extension of my body.

I also believe that its very hard to set the saddle position properly on a Softride due to the fact that the beam deflects when you sit on it, but not when you adjust the saddle. I wouldn't give up on your Softride after a handful of rides, but maybe after a couple of Ironmans (as I did).

My softride frame sits stripped in a closet somewhere today. I have had many bikes, and only one of them was not a traditional double diamond frame - that one Softride. I don't need another. I bought it to help with a chronic back condition. It didn't help.

As for speed, well, I didn't realize how fast I could be until I got off of that Softride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I rode a rocket for a while and found that pedaling at a very high cadence (105+) was very hard to keep steady. Try a lower cadence than usual and see how that feels.

FWIW, I sold my rocket and bought a Titanflex, much stiffer but plenty compliant. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax. Some very good riders ride Softride. BUT there is a learning curve. I suggest a trainer and mirrors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best way to develop pedal stroke: fixed gear bike.

"Failure is an event, not a person."
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am quite a bit faster on the Rocket TT than I am on the Litespeed....I would stick with it. All the others have already given all the good advice.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Softrider riders [norton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too had by Rocket fitted by an FIST certified "expert" - - twice. I've been miserable for quite some time. Shoulders and triceps hurt, left knee hurt, and my stomach was always uncomfortable.

This past weekend, I went to another bike shop. The new fitter took one look at the bike, without me even on it, and asked "Who did this to you?"

He moved my seat back at least two inches on the beam and put on a longer stem. My stomach feels much better now that I have more room in the cockpit. That also raised my seat some, which should cure the knee problem.

Also moved my pads out about 3 inches on each side - - the reason for my shoulder pain.

Moral to the story, some experts are more expert than others. Particularly on unique bikes.

Also, I echo the other posters about learning to ride the bike. You've got to spin 360 degrees; no mashing. Also, if you spin too fast you'll upset the smooth ride.

P.S.

Took it for a short spin yesterday. My quads and glutes are killing me; a good soreness, though. The change in position now incorporates a whole new muscle group. As I haven't been using this muscles, its going to take me some time to build up power, but at least I can now breathe and my shoulders, triceps and knee shouldn't hurt any more. Its nice to be on speaking terms again with my bike. We hadn't talked since a crushing Gulf Coast half, caused in large part by my stomach being all crunched up.
Quote Reply