Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Qualifiers
Quote | Reply
Those of you that have qualified for Kona, what type of miles are you putting in on your peak week of training for running and biking? If you do not know the miles, what is your typical longest week of training in hours? If you could also provide the age group at which you competed that would also be useful information.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Qualifiers [im4dummies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I to would like to see some numbers. But, perhaps since the race is tomorrow we will not get much response for a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Qualifiers [im4dummies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking this year or in the past.

I recall going to Hawaii my first time in 1989. At that time they mailed you out a little booklet about a three weeks before the race. There was all sorts of information in it, including the reccomended weekly training volume for the race. I must admit that I was a bit mortified when I first read the numbers - they where HUGE. About twice what I had been doing! In the end all the concern was for not as that first IM went fairly well(9:40). Three key points:

1. YOUR training is going to be and should be very individual to you.

2. NEVER directly compare your training to that of another person.

3. ALWAYS have faith in what you have done.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Qualifiers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, I was right behind you in '89 at 9:53. I too recall that questionaire they mailed out and was pretty shocked at the totals they were recommending. Needless to say, I have always been on the low overall side of the volume most IM athletes (AGers) seem to feel they need. I am racing 50-54 now and frankly, I am not doing nearly what I did then and that was a modest amount. Specifically, to the question, I average around 12 hours a week in regular IM training with a short build to 16 or so for about three weeks then begin reducing it a month out. I tend to like a "pulsing" of the volume, allowing for recovery along the way to big numbers. I believe in key workouts over the totals. But again, for me after 30 years of Ultradistance racing of one form or another (Marathons, Ultras, IM's, XC skiing, Randonneur riding etc.) I have a "racing age" much older than many people who may be my age but didn't start doing this until they were in their late 30's or 40's. It now becomes an injury/fatigue management issue over just logging numbers. I think many years of training affords you the luxury of relying on a base from which you can launch an IM build rather quickly. Do what specifically works for you, not a program you can't handle or won't benefit from. This comes from trial and error.
Quote Reply