Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for First Wave owners
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and 183lbs and I am trying to decide between the new Blue Seventy Helix and the First Wave. My "problem" (as much as they can be diagnosed on dry land) is that the size 5 top feels a little loose around the shoulders and bunches up a little bit on the lower back when my arms are extended forward. The size 4 top seems to fit pretty good on my body but applies some uncomfortable pressure to my lower neck/trachea. Is this normal? If so, does it change at all when swimming? I can't tell if this will be a problem in the water or not.

The Blue Seventy has an even lower neckline (sits on/below the collarbone!) and felt really good on dry land but I've always had good experiences with DeSoto products...guess I'm not sure which direction to go. How much pressure to the lower neck is normal?

fwiw, I'm not the greatest swimmer...I'd estimate 1:05-1:10 IM split.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oliver,
Buy the size 5 and hit the weight room. Problem solved.
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey - I would suggest giving Desoto a call and have them work through your questions right from the start, I am sure my issues would have been resolved before my race if I had gone that route. They are very open and willing to help you get the right suit.

Clark H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you are in my AG, and you will be at both napa and CDA, I would recommend going with a size 9 or 10...

For me, I think the 5 will be just about right (I'm husky). If not, I know Desoto would take care of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Since you are in my AG, and you will be at both napa

Good to hear you signed up.

So from the lack of responses I am to assume that no T1 owners have any pressure on their lower neck/trachea...maybe just not a good fit for me?

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to Emillio. Give him your measurements and a photo of yourself, he'll get you fitted perfectly. I did this as I was living in Borneo at the time and couldn't get to a shop, but was coming to the US for a race which needed a suit.

The fit was perfect, he got it to me in 5 days (post usually takes 3 weeks). Mind you, the looks as I put it on and swam in our outdoor pool where the water was 32C was hilarious. I managed about 20 lengths and had to stop because I was getting heatstroke.

You'll never find customer service better than DeSoto, he'll move heaven and earth to get you what you need.

No, I don't work for him.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably going to be a combination of a size 5 Bibjohn and a 4 Pullover. The pressure thing on the neck goes away if you pull the neck down far enough, plus it is a non-issue when you swim. The T1 is not designed to be comfortable when you are standing in it in front of a mirror, it is designed to be comfortable when you are swimming.

Plus we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, even after you swim in it. Call or email Blue Seventy, ask for the owner, and see if he will offer you the same guarantee. That way you can buy both, test them, and return the one you don't want.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a followup on this. I got the First Wave top (bottom is on backorder) - size 5. When I put it on, it was a little tight along the trachea, and very uncomfortable under the shoulders. I had it put on according to Emilio's desctiption.

I was pretty sure it was going back until I used it. I did 650 in it today, no trachea tightness at all, shoulders were fine, and it didn't ride up - though I can see where this could happen on a top that's too loose.

The top is now a keeper, just need to get the bottoms now.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No surprise here. Remember, the T1 Wetsuit is not designed to be comfortable standing in front of a mirror. It is designed to be swam in. That is when it is most comfortable.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I had it put on according to Emilio's desctiption. "

Emilio - Would you mind posting again the correct way to put on the (Longsleeve pullover) T1? I have also noticed some (very) slight constriction around the trachea/collarbone area. Perhaps, my LBS didn't instruct me on the proper way to put on this wetsuit.

FWIW, I love my T1. I did the Ford CA 1/2 IM (sub 60 degree water temp) and was very comfortable during the entire swim. Ditto for IM AZ. I highly recommend this wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for First Wave owners [TexTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you love the T1 TexTri and yes, please reccommend it to people.

You can find the post about the correct way to put on the T1 Pullover by:

1. Going to http://www.desotosport.com/wetsuits/care.asp
and/or
2. Going to the original thread by typing this into the Seach Box above on slowtwitch - T1 Owners: A little tip from Emilio

Doing this will get you my text and my photos that immyfish uploaded for me.

Regarding the neck, Please read a very recent post on this very thread from a T1 owner (he is a cool guy so I don't think he will mind me quoting him:

"Just a followup on this. I got the First Wave top (bottom is on backorder) - size 5. When I put it on, it was a little tight along the trachea, and very uncomfortable under the shoulders. I had it put on according to Emilio's desctiption.

I was pretty sure it was going back until I used it. I did 650 in it today, no trachea tightness at all, shoulders were fine, and it didn't ride up...."

Any other questions let me know.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply