Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Endless Pool owners: pace per psi
Quote | Reply
For those who own an EP, do you have data for translating psi to pace/100m? I have some unofficial figures, but would like to cross-reference them with other folks' data. I've had my pool for about a year-and-a-half and love it. I bought the digital swim meter with the pool, but it's a bust - just not very accurate (e.g., gives the same speed reading at different psi levels). If you have any trouble-shooting suggestions, I'll take 'em, but I'm mostly interested in just getting the pace/psi data.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Endless Pool owners: pace per psi [The Other Josh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned an EP for 4 years. I recently brought up this question to EP and they could not really give me an answer. I had an older style prop on my propulsion unit until it finally gave out and they sent me a new prop that was drastically improved over the older style. Between this change and the upgrade of a new motor they had recommended since my motor was 4 yrs old, I noticed that I could only do my normal swim workouts at a much lower PSI reading than before with the older equipment.
I would usually swim my easy training at about 1100 PSI and that would equate to about 1 mile in 30 minutes. Now I am swimming in the 700-800 PSI range and the distance is only 9/10ths of a mile. I asked them if I could send in my meter for calibration and they said I could. Something is not right with the meter since I am about a 55min IM distance swimmer but the numbers are not adding up on the swim meter to my old workouts.
Other than that it is a great piece of equipment that actually has made me a better swimmer while spending less time in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Endless Pool owners: pace per psi [tifreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks tifreak. Those numbers are consistent with the numbers I've got. Does the perceived exertion feel right to you? (i.e., 700-800 psi feels like a 30' 9/10ths mi. easy swim)

Any other Endless Pool owners have data to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Endless Pool owners: pace per psi [The Other Josh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know anyone who works in water resources? (i realize that is probably a long shot). But a current meter, used for stream discharge measurements, could easily tell you velocity, which you could then equate to psi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do all of my swim work-outs using perceived exertion. Right after I changed the motor and prop, I did my first swim with the settings at 1100 PSI and 10 minutes into the swim I knew something was not right with the speed. After messing with the current I arrived at the setting of 800 PSI and it felt about the same as my setting at 1100. The only thing is is that the distance was off slightly after a 30 minute swim.
I really don't know how accurate the swim meter was when I bought it new, I just figured I would use it as a basis and that is all. I really don't think I will send it back for calibration but just use the new numbers and keep track of how they correspond to my work-outs so when I do a race, I will see where I am at in terms of time and exertion and tweak it from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought that on the highest speed( of the new prop) was equilevant to about a 54 min or so, non wetsuit Ironman swim.....I would do two cycles( about 32 min each on my machine), and I would be pretty trashed....I never really got into doing intervals, just found the spacing out mode of swimming kind of cool. You never get to do that kind of "running in the forest" swimming anywhere else..Just set the speed, zone out, and don't hit the back wall......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic question: Do you get water up your nose when swimming in an EP?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've has Ep for about 4 years and have always used the swim meter set at pace/100m. I just turn the knob to adjust the pace and the swim meter changes with the increase in flow.There is some fluctuation in the meter but it's like +/- 3 seconds. I think it's accurate b/c when I go to a real pool I swim the same intervals and it feels similar. We have a double set up and my husbands meter is not accurate. He doesn't even use it and just uses PE.
Tell me how to find the psi and I'll start tracking the speed at different psi levels.
Quote Reply