Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs
Quote | Reply
I got a frame with a standard 68mm English-threaded (BSA) bottom bracket shell (2012 P2). If I want to use a BB30 crankset instead of the typical 24mm-spindle-for-BSA, can I just buy a 30mm-to-BSA adapter (such as the Rotor BSA30) and use the BB30 crankset (they're lighter/stiffer/etc)???

If the RotorBSA30 is exclusive for use with BB30-Rotor cranksets (3DF, 3D+ are 30mm while 3D is 24mm), do you know of any other 30mm-to-BSA adapters that may work with BB30-FSA or other brands? Not sure if what I'm asking for has been already addressed in this forum by you knowledgeable people, and if so, take my apologies. Help and advice is appreciated

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...acket-8861.19.1.html
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ROTIFN17

Edit. Oh yes, I read the 'Bottom Bracket Standards' published by Slowman but couldn't find anything related to these interoperability (adapters) questions :O)
http://blog.artscyclery.com/...tom-bracket-adapter/
http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Standards_2573.html
Last edited by: aca-tri: Mar 7, 13 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. "True" BB30 cranks have a 30mm alxle and are narrow. Those wont work because their isn't enough room for the adaptor cups. The original BB30 crank from cannondale is an example.

Some mfg make cranks labelled BB30 that have a 30 mm axle and are wider so those would work. And just to add to the confusion some mfgs make both true BB30 cranks and wide BB30 cranks. So you pretty much have to know which model crank you are using to know for sure.

Also at least one mfg of threaded BB30 cups insists his cups work with all BB30 cranks, which they don't.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow man! I got more confused now! ha! :O)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only two cranks that I know will work with the Rotor BSA30 are SRAM S900 (S500 might be okay too) and then of course Rotor's 3D+.

If you have a FSA or other BB30 crank, you're SOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this good article but doesn't mention anything from having BSA-English and using BB30 in it (instead explains the opposite)

http://blog.artscyclery.com/...tom-bracket-adapter/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specifically, what crank are you trying to get to work?
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fsa k-force light but may consider also the rotor 3DF

So basically is to know if can buy the cheaper fsa (still light though) and use this 'adapter' from rotor bsa30

:O)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately you cannot use a normal BB30 crank since their axle is too short (;-)), you can use it with our 3D+, 3DF and FLOW Cranks as well as a SRAM S900 crank since these have a longer axle. The 3DF is a great crank for the money, and still pretty light.

Kervin

Rotor Bike Components USA
OUR NEW WEBSITE http://www.rotorbikeusa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still kind of curious why you want to throw a BB30 crank on there. I could understand if you already have one lying around and are strapped for cash.

But, if you're buying new, I'd suggest getting a 24mm crank instead of running adapters.
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was browsing yesterday some light-weight cranksets and most of them are BB30. Then I think i found an article saying indeed these BB30 (and BB90 also? -not sure) are indeed lighter because of different factors. That's why I ended up wondering if that's the right route to go. Then I saw the Rotor 3DF (being BB30) with good price/weight... That got me thinking that perhaps I can get other brands (similar weight) but cheaper. Hope I've explained my reasoning here. Thanks for your assistance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the BB30 cranks may be a little lighter, I highly doubt you will notice either the weight or the stiffness.
What you will notice is that you will be constantly replacing the BB bearings as they are simply too small and just dont last as long as a BSA BB with 24mm axle (in a BSA frame)

If all you want is a light/stiff crank, swap out your current BB for a SRAM GXP BB (will be a straight swap) and then run a SRAM red crank. Stiff, light and easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any particular sram red model? not really familiar with SRAM thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest, preferably with Quarq!
Must have saved 250-300g (guessing, but it was a lot, even with quarq) over the ultegra crank I replace it with
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [kervinq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kervinq wrote:
Unfortunately you cannot use a normal BB30 crank since their axle is too short (;-)), you can use it with our 3D+, 3DF and FLOW Cranks as well as a SRAM S900 crank since these have a longer axle. The 3DF is a great crank for the money, and still pretty light.

A friend of mine got a great deal on a Hollowgram SRM, but unfortunately, her Kestrel is not BB30. So, I had a new axle fabricated and stretched it to work with the BSA 30 adapters that need at least a 92 mm spread-works like a charm, though her bike mechanic did a double take when he saw it!

JM

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that your solution is un workable but the messes a bit with the chainline , putting the chainring further out.

Edit, I don't know how much it cost to make, but you could sell quite few of those axles. Sisl cranks ae quite a favorite of weight weenies. Pair them up with a repalcement spider that moves the cr into the proper place and you'd sell a bunch if you could keep the price under 200.

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Mar 7, 13 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, we stretched the non drive side so the drive side is unaffected. I agree, maybe I should patent it!!

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: Quasi-Newbie Question on BBs [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you effectively running a mountain spindle (113mm vs 104mm)? Q-factor affected I would guess or was it all on the non-drive side.....so now you are pedaling off center?
Quote Reply