Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement
Quote | Reply
With winter training coming just around the corner, I am thinking about playing around with my TT bike. I am contemplating buying a new fork for my CD0.1 to replace the stock model with the rear mounted brakes. I really am not a fan of the looped cable coming out the side, and I have the thought that a bit deeper fork would help fill the gap, created by the rear ward facing brake, and the downtube.

Anyone have suggestions on a fork to throw on the bike? Also, any reasons why I should NOT make the change? I know a lot of forks are designed specifically with a frame for optimum aero benefits, but my best understanding is that this occurs when the fork mates closely with the headtube/downtube.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo fork or 3T funda + TriRig Omega aero brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did u do it?

Now Ive done that.... whats next? | My other items on Slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [yourunclefats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up keeping the stock fork, but am in the works of cleaning up that front cable.

Sure it'll only save me in the area of 1watt, MAYBE, but the clean look will be worth 500 aesthetic points.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response! Makes complete sense that a company would build a fork to work well for the frame, whodda thunk it?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I ended up keeping the stock fork, but am in the works of cleaning up that front cable.

Sure it'll only save me in the area of 1watt, MAYBE, but the clean look will be worth 500 aesthetic points.

not sure how ur bike came of what youve done with your front brake cable, but i just drilled a hole in the front of my base bar and re routed the cable out of the front. it seemed to ease pressure on the cable and looks better than how it came comming out the back and looping. it also has stopped the cable from rubbing on the frame when turning left. heres a pic of what the cable looks like now.

Now Ive done that.... whats next? | My other items on Slowtwitch
Last edited by: yourunclefats: Jan 9, 13 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me you want to sell that BR fork. Pretty, pretty please?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [yourunclefats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems like you could drill a hole through the head tube fillet and just go STRAIGHT DOWN to the brake.

somebody make it so!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
What direction do you think the airflow is going at the top of the fork, esp. the inside where the tire passes through the crown.

I haven't been able to find a fork that is faster with the fork behind it, in fact, I've seen data where a Modolo Kronos improved the aerodynamics more than NO BRAKE at all.

A fork alone is a pretty easy thing to make fast, puting it on a bike with a spinning aero wheel is where it all goes to pot.

-SD

John Cobb wrote:

Beside the fact that there are very clear rules requiring front brakes and that the front brake delivers almost all of the real stopping power on a bike, how much do people think front brakes hurt aerodynamically. I am sure that the round straw sticking up 6" from a front mounted bottle creates more drag than the brake and cables. For a pure TT bike going after the Hour Record, it might matter but you don't use them on a track anyway. On the road, the cable routing creates most of the drag, just use 1" tape on the exposed cables to give them a tail section for a better aspect ratio, set your brake levers to run horizontal, the calipers don't create many problems up by the fork crown. When the front caliper is mounted on the back side of a fork, it moves the brake out of plane and the brake shoes are then running at a steep angle, this causes more blockage inside the fork crown at exactly the point where air pressure needs to be blead off. Air accumulation from the rotating tires is the strongest just on the back of the fork crown/ downtube intersection, keep this area clean. By having the air pressure accumulate in this area, the wheel watts go up, increasing 3-4 watts to turn the wheel from bad air flow management is a bad plan.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 9, 13 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my original plan: drill and route ala the Fuji D6, minus the big loopy cable out from the fork leg.

But I've come up with a better solution that SHOULD work. A few fabricated parts are needed, but I should have it all built up very soon.

I'll post the pics when it is all set up.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi. Any update on your modifications?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torhans 30. Tuck wire behind it.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Fork Replacement [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up with a new frame, and did not want to make all the planned mods since I am selling the QR.
The cleanest I ever had the cables was using a flexible brake cable, the brake lever end of a Jagwire Racer cable set. It routes tightly around the fork and in front of the headtube.
As the above poster mentioned, a Torhans in front of that make things as pretty as possible.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply