Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night.....
Quote | Reply
Call Gary...I'm sending these back, I must have a defective set .......these things are ROUND! --at least they feel that way!!!

O.K. all kidding aside, I am quickly becoming a convert! I started with them in the suggested #3 setting and rode with a few folks I know who are scary fast cyclists....held my own....comfortably....at what seemed like a lower average cadence....nice, steady power throughout the entire pedal stroke. After riding with the gang a bit I headed off the try some hills and some TT intervals for kicks.....on the hills....I need to be a better climber to really judge but even on a steeper hill I was able to keep exerting power without losing momentum. I think once I get used to the gearing, I will improve here.

As for my TT efforts....holy cow! I was able to maintain a really nice steady hard effort without the feelings that as the interval wore on I was less able to turn that gearing. And accelerating was a gas...instant response! And on any slight little rises I would just power up easily where in the past I would have at least condsidered shifting....

The jury says I am going to ride like this for a few more rides....might need to adjust my rear der. settings since I think under the load of climbing it (the rear der. guide wheel) is touching the rear cluster....then I am going to try the #4 on the big ring. Plan to ride Gulf Coast that way and will give feedback on time results...one note from a local podium athlete, "dude, those are the easiest 20 watts I ever purchased"....seems he wasn't sharing his "Q-rings secret" with his training buddies! Thanks, Tim!!

My .02,

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [Tri-Wog StL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"dude, those are the easiest 20 watts I ever purchased"....

New to the Q ring concept. What are they exactly? Is the "free" power due to the constant pressure on the cranks? Can you just throw a set of the Q-rings on any ol' crankset?

Good luck with the transformation.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me start by saying that Tim's observations come from his use of the Q-rings in conjunction with his Computrainer, so any wattage data is subject to his "scientific ability" - which may or may not be applicable......but the dude can ride a bike!

As far a compatability, they are very compatible with most cranks (see www.rotorcranksusa.com for details). On their site you can also view some of the reasons for the difference in power/pedalling efficiency....I would speculate that gains are related to:

1) time spent in a slightly larger "effective" gearing during the power portion of the pedal cycle.

2) more constant pressure on the chain since the "dead spot" is reduced....at least it feels this way....

YMMV and I will post follow ups as I learn more,

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what I noticed initially, how great they felt for climbing and TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My maiden voyage is tomorrow..Just put them on my road bike. Put them in the suggested #3 setting for both rings.....
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS just had a pair come in for a customer and I had to admit I really liked the appearance of them. He has an extra pair but fortunately they are in 130 BCD so I can be tempted to throw them onto the road bike.

I may look into ordering a compact set in the next couple of months.

Gary,any news on the 54T TT ring?

KR
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should have our first 54T AERO Q-Ring examples next week, with pre-orders on Apr 20th.
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary, if I pre-ordered on the 20th is their an approximate date when they would be available? I would want to run them on both bikes. The State TT Championship and the hillclimb championship are in September. I give myself a good chance at both in 35+ and an extra 20W could certainly help.

Thanks

KR
Quote Reply
Re: Q-rings Maiden Voyage Last night..... [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect May 15th that the 54T AERO Q-Rings (and 42, 44 inner) will be stateside and shipping, based on the factory's estimates.
Quote Reply