Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem with valve extension
Quote | Reply
I have zipp valve extenders that came with my Flashpoint 60 wheels. Can't seem to get good inflation with tire pump. Gauge has erroneous readings and there seems to be a leak at the spot where the valve extender meets the tire pump. Anything I can do to help this? I want to be able to inflate my tires to the right pressure, but it seems like a guessing game right now.

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with valve extension [christian1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The best way to solve this, for a long term fix is as follows: Open the valve all the way to the extent of the threads. Place a small dab of super glue on the very top of the valve stop so that it covers the threaded rod, but does not get down into the air passage opening. This will ensure that the valve will not thread itself closed later, causing you to have to take the extender off to re-open it. Then wrap about two wraps of white teflon tape, available at any store that carries plumbing or home fix-it supplies, around the threads that the valve extender will thread down on to. Again, make sure that you don't get any tape in the air passage that could cause a stoppage later. Then just thread the extender in place, and it should be good as long as the tube is good.

Fit matters most. None of that aero sh*$ means beans if you are monkey humping the bike up and down the road… anonymous
51Speed Shop fitter and consultant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Christian1 and All,

Also you can give the valve core and extra bit of twist with long nose pliers (not too much) to the open position to lock it open and you will not need to glue it.

Also fold the teflon tape double to make it smaller in width and then use a full 3 wraps on the threads.

Cut off any excess with nail sissors.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Mar 9, 07 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo valve extenders get rid of all the above fidgeting.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you could just use tubes with 80mm valve stem. I use them on my zipp 404s and they work a lot better than messing around with valve extensions.

Jeff

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GARodgers [ In reply to ]
Re: Problem with valve extension [GARodgers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine from the shop that I ride for - Bicycle Alley in Worcester Ma. If your LBS does not stock them they should be able to order them for you.

Jeff

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with valve extension [GARodgers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can get from www.R&ACycles.com and is easy to find on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.hedcycling.com/...l/valveextenders.php

http://www.weldtite.co.uk/...ctID=170&navID=4

TUFO & Weldlite make extenders where the valve is at the end of the extension. The best solution is probably 80mm tubes.

Hope this helps

Paul
Quote Reply