Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Problem with Speedo goggles
Quote | Reply
I've gone through a fair few Speedo googles in the last few years, pretty much all the same problem, tint wearing off from the lens. Different models, Speed Sockets, Fastskin Elite, Opal mirrors, not cheap models. The Fastskins were $80 and I used them for about 8 races and now you can hardly see out of them. All well cared for, rinsed in fresh water etc. I probably would have kept on replacing them if I didn't inherit a pair of 2nd hand Arena Cobra Ultra goggles. I've used them for a year and given up washing and taking care of them because they're bulletproof! But I have 4 pairs of barely used Speedo goggles, can I return these to Speedo or are they just going to claim "wear and tear" (I'm waiting on a call back from them). Plus I have 2 pairs of new unboxed Speedos which I no longer want - can I return these? What's causing the tint to wear? The only thing I can think of is anti-fog, but I've used that on my Arena goggles.

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what advice to give, since I've never had that problem. I've never had that problem because I've spent maybe a total of $80 on all my goggles purchased in the last 8 years. The two most expensive goggles I've bought in this time frame were a pair of Nootca goggles (based on Swedish goggles and now discontinued; $16), and arena Swedix mirror ($21). The Nootca lasted me over 500km and several pool and OW races, and I still have the arena, now at least 200km. The rest have been a collection of $5-13 Swedish goggles, and $4 Water Gear Competition I. I have one pair of Swedish goggles I've used over the last four summers in OW swimming, and still sometimes for use in the pool.

I guess my advice is: spend less on goggles. If you get scratched lenses, you can toss those without much worry.

I think there's some kind of inverse relationship going on here: the more some people swim, the less they spend on their goggles, and the longer those last. If you check out my masters team, the long-term swimmers all wear Vanquishers or Swedish goggles, maxing out at $12. The triathletes and AOS are all wearing $30-50 goggles in practices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put the unused ones on ST classifieds or eBay.

There’s probably an issue with the coating since almost all these are polycarbonate lenses (swedes, vanquishers, cobras, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you send me a pair of the boxed goggles, I can put it through my own long-term wringer. 15-20km/week, rinse those off, hang in a locker....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a half-century in the pool (long before pool goggles were invented) I have had similar poor results with Speedo. The Fastskins won't be purchased again because my results were similar to yours. They were worn only for racing (too uncomfortable for anything else) and they scratched easily. My pair also leaked, as many do on my face.

Roka seems to make a high-quality lens that might be worth a try. For me swedes leak and leave etched goggle marks on my face that stay for hours at my age. Good luck with that and let me know what you find. I am able to swim outside most of the year and tinted goggles are a must.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there are a couple small scratches right along the rim of those goggles they look like abrasions from sand or loose particles. You leave them loose at the bottom of your gym bag? Without a receipt showing they are less than 60 days old I would think they are just a pair of worn and abused goggles. Just switch to the Arena's and keep the speedos as back up if they are usable or toss them if not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone through similar numbers of goggles, but I never really care much about optics. I just want to see well enough to see the "T" so I can judge my turn, or in OW to see the next buoy. pretty much any goggle does that for me. With the speedo's, it's typically the gasket that compresses and loses its seal after about 4-6 months. I still like them (Speed Sockets) for racing, since I've never had a pair come off on the start, and the straps are awesome. I tried a pair of Fastskins and a pair of Arena Cobra Ultras and hated them both, too low profile and my eyelids touch the goggle. For training, I'm back to my old standby's from college, the TYR socket rockets 2.0's. Best goggles ever. Swede style with a tiny rubber gasket to relieve any pressure, so no goggle marks. The only issue is the latex straps are absolute garbage, so I typically use those straps for a few months then swap them out for the Speedo silicone (I think) straps once they get all stretched out.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear vision correcting goggles, so my choices are rather limited. I've been using the Speed Vanquisher Opticals for the last few years. The clip for the strap tends to be the first thing to go, usually in about 6 months. With a replacement strap, I can usually nurse another few months out of them before the anti-fog coating starts to go or they become too scratched up to be useful. On the last couple tinted sets I've had, though, the anti-fog has started to "blister" in only a 2-3 months.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 21, 18 6:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess it's the anti fog spray you are using. I've been using speed sockets for the last 8 years and none of the tint has come off any pair. I only buy the black or smoke color I think it's called. What color tint have you been getting?

I have had pairs last over 2 years without any tint coming off. I do nothing to them other then throw them in my bag after each swim. Even during stretches when I am just swimming so 5-6 trips to the pool a week they've held up. My son inherits them after about six months to use when he plays in the pool. He is pretty rough with them and they hold up.

I don't think Speedo would do anything unless you were using some type of speedo anti fog.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy ~$15 Vanquisher 2.0s and call it a day. I have a pair I've been using for years without issues. Who spends ~$80 on goggles?
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously! I gagged when I had to pay $5.99 for Malmsten Swedes recently. Granted I do put down a whopping $12 for metallic Swedes every 4-5 years... I'm always baffled by the "fog free" obsession of folks. Lick it and go.

Can I make out the clock and the wall? Yes? Perfect.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Seriously! I gagged when I had to pay $5.99 for Malmsten Swedes recently. Granted I do put down a whopping $12 for metallic Swedes every 4-5 years... I'm always baffled by the "fog free" obsession of folks. Lick it and go.

Like I said, I get the posh Swedes, (TYR). I think they were about $11 or $12 last time I got them. I did try the expensive goggles a couple of times, but they aren't any better than the cheapies.

I don't even lick them. put em on dry, and they don't fog for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Buy ~$15 Vanquisher 2.0s and call it a day. I have a pair I've been using for years without issues. Who spends ~$80 on goggles?

IDK but I'd love to know what those goggles actually do. I buy speed sockets when on sale for about $15. I wish I could still wear swedes like I did in HS and college. The only anti fog I have ever used is licking.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobra ultra seems to last under heavy use... I wash once in a while with liquid soap to clean scuzzyness. I just bought 2 mirror pairs for $38 each (CAD) on sale. I also have a pair of Cobra Core as well. Same lens but minus the larger frames. My son wears the same and loves them in 2 1/2 years we have only used up 2 pairs between us (gaskets deteriorated after 18 months of heavy use). I can get them for $30 on Amazon if I am willing to wait for them to come from the UK.

Just got the pink mirror ones and they remind me of wearing red Swedes indoors. I like the brightness.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that Cobra Ultra are low profile. If I wear Swedes or Vanquishers I can feel the extra drag on my face. Can't imagine the feeling from some of the giant goggles triathletes put on their faces...

Phelps has a new Swede type goggle... pics up on the UK website for his brand
... I tried the speedo Swedish elite in the 90s... the original low profile design... eyelashes hit the end and I couldn't blink... we tried them since Mark Tewksbury wore them in 92 when he won gold... they went out of production but seem to be the basis for a few newer models.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/...3a8459b5l4vpsjt2nhv0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind Swedes for training but probably won't race in them for Masters. Just like the low profile of the arenas

For Tri I may wear my swedes if the transition area is pavement or cement to avoid scratching my more expensive goggles... depends if the swim is wetsuit or not. I stash my cap and goggles in my wetsuit sleeve on the run in...

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I tried those same speedos in the early '90's. I think they made it through half a practice.

I like the idea of your goggles, they just don't fit.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have long eyelashes and a big schnoz, so low profile goggles generally are a no-go for me.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

Like I said, I get the posh Swedes, (TYR). I think they were about $11 or $12 last time I got them. I did try the expensive goggles a couple of times, but they aren't any better than the cheapies.

I don't even lick them. put em on dry, and they don't fog for me.

You can get the Sporti Antifog Swedish Premium Goggle + Bungee Strap
https://www.swimoutlet.com/...p-26589/?color=10852

These are the same at the TYR Swedish goggle for 3 to 3.5 dollars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:

Sorry that's Australian, US$60 which is still way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
, the TYR socket rockets 2.0's. Best goggles ever. Swede style with a tiny rubber gasket to relieve any pressure, so no goggle marks. The only issue is the latex straps are absolute garbage, so I typically use those straps for a few months then swap them out for the Speedo silicone (I think) straps once they get all stretched out.

I've got a new pair of those TYR socket rockets, not used them yet. I bought a whole bunch of goggles new as they were really cheap. I'll give them a whirl.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem with Speedo goggles [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I'm going to guess it's the anti fog spray you are using. I've been using speed sockets for the last 8 years and none of the tint has come off any pair. I only buy the black or smoke color I think it's called. What color tint have you been getting?

I have had pairs last over 2 years without any tint coming off. I do nothing to them other then throw them in my bag after each swim. Even during stretches when I am just swimming so 5-6 trips to the pool a week they've held up. My son inherits them after about six months to use when he plays in the pool. He is pretty rough with them and they hold up.

I don't think Speedo would do anything unless you were using some type of speedo anti fog.

Yeah I've been using anti-fog, was beginning to think that was the culprit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:

More for racing. I can handle fogged up goggles in a pool, dark ocean, first thing in the morning, with the sun coming up... you need clear goggles. I've had races where the marker buoys were tiny, sighting without fogged up goggles is a PITA... and swimming back to shore into the sun, with fogged up goggles you're not going to be able to see shit.
Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 21, 18 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not had this problem with Speedo Vanquishers.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thing to use for anti-fog is a a small spray bottle with ~1/5 Johnson Baby Shampoo and the rest plain water. Works like a charm, and should not damage anything. Just shake before use spray on, then rinse off. No Rubbing needed.
Last edited by: tyme: Feb 23, 18 10:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next