Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Princeton HIM - group bike ride?
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I don't see any subforums or other areas where a post like this seems to be more appropriate so I'm just throwing it out here in the main triathlon forum.

I signed up for the Princeton Ironman 70.3. This is my first time taking on the distance and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to take a couple rides on the Princeton Ironman bike course over the next month. I would like to either get a group together or find a group that is already riding the course that I could link up with. Is anyone else somewhat local that is interested or already planning something?
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [Jdk203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan on going up to ride the course again the week of August 25. It would be a week day in early AM as I am off of work. Not sure if that works with your schedule but I will touch base when I know what day I am riding. I have ridden the bike course once and done the run course a couple of times.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [(free)willey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in the area (m-f) and live about 20 miles away. I could possibly take a half day off of work and meet you in the morning for a ride. Guess we'll see how the schedules work out and if anything else comes up.

The more I think about it I may just head there tomorrow morning and ride it myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is reasonably easy to follow although I did still miss a couple of turns, although quickly realized my mistake. Do you have a garmin or anything as I can send you the course via garmin connect.
The first and last 10 miles or so are where things are a little tricky turn wise. After that it's pretty open and rural.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have Facebook you should join the group page, plenty of ppl organizing group rides on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a garmin f2....I could upload it but I've never used my watch for mapping out a route....its a little small to be looking at on the move.

I didn't know there was a facebook. I'll look for it and join. Thanks for the heads up!
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:
If you have Facebook you should join the group page, plenty of ppl organizing group rides on there.

Thanks a million! I just sent the request and took a quick browse through the recent posts. Looks like there is a ride on Sunday morning. Nice and early which ,if my wife doesn't have other plans for me, should work. Can't believe I didn't think to search facebook before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a version of the course a few times a week and when other riders want to meet up, we've been meeting in the ACME lot on South Broad Street or Steinert High School's Lot. There are always a lot of riders on segments of the course on the weekends.
I rode the entire course only once because the Cabot Drive Portion is an issue on the return trip. A left onto Klockner Road is near impossible on a bike or even running for that matter. Cabot drive will have police on race day to direct traffic, but other than that its way to risky for no reward.
A local charity group meets and rides the course as well "Ryan's Quest" check their web site for info.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [devine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride past that acme when I commute to work by bike (1 or 2 times a week) What days of the week/times do you typically ride? What pace? I'd like to find a reasonably fast group to ride with weekend mornings a few times a month. I live in Burlington and can't seem to find anyone in my area to ride with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am in Westampton. usually ride with a couple of others on Saturday mornings around 7:30am. you are welcome to join us. what sort of pace are you looking for?

on another note, not sure if you noticed but the bike course map has been removed from the Princeton 70.3 website. it is my understanding there is a modification being made to the bike course and the new map will be up next week. don't believe its a huge change, but definitely a change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Can someone provide a link to the facebook page?

Thanks,

eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(free)willey wrote:
i am in Westampton. usually ride with a couple of others on Saturday mornings around 7:30am. you are welcome to join us. what sort of pace are you looking for?

on another note, not sure if you noticed but the bike course map has been removed from the Princeton 70.3 website. it is my understanding there is a modification being made to the bike course and the new map will be up next week. don't believe its a huge change, but definitely a change.

I guess the pace depends on the group size and distance but say 20-22 avg. Where do you guys meet at? I could easily ride over and join you guys sometime if you don't mind a stranger in the group.

Oh and I'm not overly concerned with knowing the course turn by turn. Its more for an excuse to get the mileage in and find a group to do it with. I'd also like to see what some of the hills (albeit small I'm sure) look like.
Last edited by: Jdk203: Aug 8, 14 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [elag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elag wrote:
Hey,

Can someone provide a link to the facebook page?

Thanks,

eric

Sure can!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472222542888397/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else here rumors of a bike course change? I heard something about not including Hill Rd anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would make me very happy. In riding the course, this is one section that gives me much pause for concern. On Hill Road, just before you turn right on walnford Rd, there is a nice downhill where you can pick up some serious speed. This takes you into a quick left/right over some very rough pavement and over a bridge that is not in good shape. If this section is part of the course, I foresee major carnage and would caution all to take it easy through this section. If you have not ridden the course - it is the last stretch of hill road and head right onto walnford. Beautiful road to ride on but not in very good shape to race on - especially tucked on aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the spot. Blew right by the turn when I rode the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone who has ridding the course have a Garmin file they might be able to share? Living down in TX I will not have a chance to ride before I am in the race but it would be nice to see the profile and maybe try and virtually ride the course.

Thanks

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hoping this works

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/549844623

this is from a couple of weeks ago. will ride updated course when maps are up and I get the chance.
no idea why it converts speed etc to km when I use the link as all was in miles previously.
Last edited by: (free)willey: Aug 9, 14 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the course yesterday and kind of slinkied along with a group of Ryan's quest riders who lead me on what is supposedly going to be the final course. There was one small detour which I guess was more for safety during normal traffic times which won't be an issue on race day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/562450617

Once you get out of Hamilton the roads are quite nice and there is a ton of scenery in the horse park of nj area.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton HIM - group bike ride? [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number114 wrote:
Anyone else here rumors of a bike course change? I heard something about not including Hill Rd anymore?

I have not heard any rumors, but they did take the map of the bike course off of the website: http://www.ironman.com/...athletes/course.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(free)willey wrote:

Any news on the bike course? I looked at the route posted above and it is actually substantially different from the original route. Since we are less than 5 weeks away, I would have thought they had the bike course finalized by now!

Thanks for any intel anyone can provide as I will be doing my long rides on the course for the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I rode from home to Crosswicks and from there I rode the majority of the same course I posted above. I ran into two people on the same course one of which I saw the week before. It still isn't official but I have a fair amount of confidence that the inside information this group received is fairly accurate. If not for the small detour we took the previous week the mileage would have been pretty much spot on. I'm hoping the new map is out soon to confirm.

Also I'm probably going to do the same ride several more times over the course of the next few weekends. If anyone is interested in joining we can work out a meeting place in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for info - just checked site again and guess what is now posted!

Would love to ride course with a group - but I am not speedy gonzalez - would be rolling at 18-20mph and slower on some of the hills at a good tempo pace. Probably take me about 3 hours solo to complete the loop. Don't know what your pace is, but I'll bet it's much faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
Thanks for info - just checked site again and guess what is now posted!

Would love to ride course with a group - but I am not speedy gonzalez - would be rolling at 18-20mph and slower on some of the hills at a good tempo pace. Probably take me about 3 hours solo to complete the loop. Don't know what your pace is, but I'll bet it's much faster.

AWESOME! I'll go take a look.

Honestly I'm still getting used to the mileage and while riding solo that speed is fine by me. We could definitely get out and ride together. If we ride paceline we would certainly go faster depending on group size if everyone was around the same fitness level. I'm cool riding either way. Let me know if you want to try and meet up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also looking to find a group that is doing the Princeton 70.3 course. Possibly this weekend as I'm available both days. I would be coming from westchester NY (so would have to leave home quite early to get there early...but worth it. I'm not a fast rider (road bike wo/aero) really would like to see course b4 race day. Also available labor day....might also lke to take a look at run course afterwards.... anyone doing a ride this weekend?
Quote Reply

Prev Next