Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prescription goggles for open water
Quote | Reply
I'm just starting out in triathlon and have struggled to find a good pair of prescription goggles, particularly now that I've started open water swimming. Being able to see clearly is very helpful, not only for seeing the buoys, but also for general comfort in wide open, cold, murky water.

I need a -8, so selection is limited for off the shelf options.

So far, I've tried these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/...hangeable-lens-ss14/
A generous size and comfortable to wear, but possibly a little large for my face and it can be a little tricky to get a good seal. The lenses scratch easily and the prescription lenses only come in a clear version, rather than tinted or mirrored.

http://triathlonspecific.com/Sable/Sable.html
Vision is good in these, but the nose bridge sometimes comes away from the frame when I take them off to adjust/defog and they leave bad goggle marks. I've also had to be careful about ensuring the seal is intact around the lens...it sometimes comes away slightly. I'm not sure these would survive a knock in a swim start and losing my goggles would mean hailing a safety boat and DNF.

http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk/Speedo_Mariner.html
Quite small and I will need to order a longer strap as the one that comes with the goggles is quite short. They come as a single pre-assembled unit rather than being modular, so perhaps more sturdy, but the small lens size means my field of vision is not as comfortable as with the Aqua Sphere ones.

Any others you can suggest?

I'm reluctant to use contact lenses as I really can't afford to pick up an eye infection and in previous attempts for general use I've found they give me bad headaches...
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles for open water [MadNellie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo Vanquisher makes prescription version. Vanquishers seems to be common the pool deck as they fit many faces.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/...&search_page.rr1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With eyes like that, I'd get used to wearing contacts (or get lasik if you can). I've been wearing them for nearly 20 years and never had an infection. I swim in lots of murky lakes and questionable pools. With all the alarmists out there, I should be blind 18 times by now. They take just a little while to get used to, and there are lots of different types. I'd give daily disposables a try, if you can get them in -8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a -8 in my right and a -8.5 in my left eye. I totally understand. You can't see ANYTHING without glasses or contacts.

Have you thought about contacts? I have the night & days--meaning I wear them all the time, even sleeping, for 30 days, then pop in a new pair for 30 more. It is amazing. No more rain getting your glasses mucked up, no more fogging, no more weird curvy sight from the curve of the glasses, and all the peripheral vision I want.

I've been wearing contacts for about 17 years, the night and days for around 3-4ish years now. It's almost like lasik.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a -5.5 I feel your pain. I have been with Vanquishers for years and until the last 2 pairs have loved them. For some reason the rubber is dry rotting, never so much as had an issue with them until the last 2 though. Almost like a bad batch got through QC or something. Love the fit and the tinted ones are great for the FL sun.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles for open water [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...perhaps I should think about trying contacts after all. I'm not a LASIK candidate, unfortunately. I have an astigmatism as well as being near-sighted (better and better!) and contacts that correct both haven't agreed with me, but for sports perhaps I only need the distance correction.

This would make shopping for sunglasses much easier as well.

Susan, are the Vanquisher goggles larger than the Mariner ones? I'm not sure the small size is ideal for open water or for finding my bike after the swim...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have bifocal contacts now!
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles for open water [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately, not required for a few more years :)
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles for open water [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is useful, tigerpaws. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use vanquisher optical and I see they have a -8. They are not 100% but it is clear enough for me to see the bouys, swimmers, etc. I am also like you, tried contacts and it did not work for me.

I wear the vanquishers, then prescription sunglasses/glasses for bike/run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to be -8 and -11, but I had LASIk many years ago and now I'm about a -1 to -0.5 with some astigmatism.

Can you tell us how much each of the three sets of prescription goggles cost?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles for open water [Rhenium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aqua Sphere ones were £35, the Speedos were £19, and the Sables were £75.
Quote Reply