Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prescription goggles
Quote | Reply
I am looking for prescription googles, that come in +3.75/+4.00 and are mirrored for sea swimming. An impossible ask it seems. Does anyone know of any? All the ones I come across are clear or only slightly tinted and look a bit rubbish. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Australia and have used these guys before:
https://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.com.au/swimming-goggles

There is a link at the bottom for non-Australian orders.
I have no financial affiliation with them.
Last edited by: nickag: Jun 1, 23 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo vanquisher comes in a prescription variant (Vanquisher Optical) and comes in a dark tint in both mirrored and unmirrored. It only comes in diopters of 0.5 increment, but the difference between +4 and +3.75 shouldn't be too noticeable. Will be much cheaper than any customer pair if the socket shape works for you.
Last edited by: mgreer: Jun 1, 23 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just by the hydrostatic lenses and stick them in my regular goggles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Speedo vanquisher comes in a prescription variant (Vanquisher Optical) and comes in a dark tint in both mirrored and unmirrored. It only comes in diopters of 0.5 increment, but the difference between +4 and +3.75 shouldn't be too noticeable. Will be much cheaper than any customer pair if the socket shape works for you.

I can only find these in negative prescription, you sure they come in +ve?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:

Never heard of these. Do they fog? Do you have a link please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, you’re right. I was thinking of nearsightedness, as that’s my problem, especially for sighting in open water. Finding goggles that are readers (presumably to see you watch?) will be a lot harder, as you’re finding out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Sorry, you’re right. I was thinking of nearsightedness, as that’s my problem, especially for sighting in open water. Finding goggles that are readers (presumably to see you watch?) will be a lot harder, as you’re finding out.

Despite supposedly being "long sighted" I can't see anything near or far without my lenses/glasses. Sighting would also be difficult if I didn't swim with contacts or prescription goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tusa makes positive diopter lenses, see
TUSA

But they can be hard to find.. last time I needed them ended up buying the -8 lens from one supplier, the -8.5 lens from Walmart ?? and the VPS-500A Parts Kit from a third supplier.
These are the only prescription goggles I've been able to find with the -8 diopter than I need..
They are excellent goggles, typically last me 4-5 years of swimming 1-2 times a week, and fit well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:

Never heard of these. Do they fog? Do you have a link please?

This is just a random pair of hydrostatic lenses. There are a few brands and all magnifications. As far as fogging, I put a light coating of baby shampoo on my goggles and lenses and neither fog

Amazon.com: Hydrotac OPTX 20/20 Stick On Magnification Reusable Bifocal Lenses - +2.50 Diopter (Pack of 2) : Health & Household
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Goggles. Used for all my swims. Comfortable, durable. Not too $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Huub goggles, bought in Uk for ÂŁ30 goggles plus ÂŁ10 per prescription lense. They come with a nice travel box, spare lenses and nose pieces.
Tint is good on bright days, and the anti fog was good when new.
I gave away 2 pairs of spare lenses and kept one in case I ever lose one at a race
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant wrote:
Aqua Goggles. Used for all my swims. Comfortable, durable. Not too $$.

Lankysprinter wrote:
I love my Huub goggles, bought in Uk for ÂŁ30 goggles plus ÂŁ10 per prescription lense. They come with a nice travel box, spare lenses and nose pieces.
Tint is good on bright days, and the anti fog was good when new.
I gave away 2 pairs of spare lenses and kept one in case I ever lose one at a race

Thanks, but both of these only seem to come in a -ve prescription. I need around +4.00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried going to see an optometrist? I unfortunately don't have any leads on far-sighted goggles, but I was just talking to my optometrist about goggle options this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
mgreer wrote:

Despite supposedly being "long sighted" I can't see anything near or far without my lenses/glasses. Sighting would also be difficult if I didn't swim with contacts or prescription goggles.

Just to be clear, for everyone:

If you are nearsighted, you can see up close without a prescription, but not far away. You would have a negative prescription such as -3.00 (this is myopia)

If you are farsighted, you can see far away without a prescription, but not up close. You would have a positive prescription such as +3.00 (this is hyperopia)

Presbyopia is something that will happen to all of us as we get older and it is where you slowly lose the ability to read up close. When people buy over the counter reading glasses, it is not because they suddenly became hyperopic, it is because they developed presbyopia.
Presbyopia literally means “old eyes” or “old vision”
You will develop presbyopia regardless of you being myopic, hyperopic, or no prescription whatsoever
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription goggles [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s interesting, my prescription is +4.00 and has been since age 6 (probably always). I definitely need glasses for close work, but they also make everything in the distance significantly bigger/clearer too. People think if you are "far sighted" you can see stuff in the distance fine, not so for me. I wear glasses/lenses always.
Last edited by: Island: Jun 4, 23 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t realise they only go one way, sorry.
They are great though for people wanting distance lenses with tint, I’ve worn them today in the Spanish sun and they really take the glare off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
It’s interesting, my prescription is +4.00 and has been since age 6 (probably always). I definitely need glasses for close work, but they also make everything in the distance significantly bigger/clearer too. People think if you are "far sighted" you can see stuff in the distance fine, not so for me. I wear glasses/lenses always.

The issue is that the farsighted part is different for everyone based on their focal length. You can see clearly, to a certain far distance, but otherwise need correction. Each farsighted person has a “clear” point. Beyond that point, or previous to that point, you are blurred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check Amazon! Recently got a couple pair of speedos and they were under $30. For someone that can’t see, it was a game changer in the water! First swim and no joke noticed a big turtle underneath me and followed it for a minute. Also saw a couple sting rays just chilling. Love it!

https://www.amazon.com/...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

https://www.strava.com/athletes/pmadjarov
Quote Reply