Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Prescription Sunglasses.
Quote | Reply
I want them to be cool and be $155 or less shipped. That's all :) I have the regular single-vision prescription. Where did you get yours, did you like it, how much did you pay, is it durable? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [Jere B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Umaillet from eyebuydirect (I LOVE them for my regular eyeglasses and buy them nowhere else) and it's big, ugly, bulky, and the nosepieces boke off and they don't offer replacements (not even for a fee).

That second store is out of my price range and I can't seem to find where to buy online for the third one.
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Apr 10, 14 2:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something to consider if your Rx is stable: Smith Optics. Lifetime warranty, so while ~ 2x the price you want to pay by the time the frames/Rx are done and delivered.....potentially the last pair you will ever buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy all my glasses online at Zenni.com. I've got two pairs of windglasses for cycling, plus half a dozen pairs of regular glasses and sunglasses; my wife has even more.

Sure, they don't say "Oakley" or "Rudy" on the side, but my last pair of cycling glasses was like $30. Shipping is a little long (~2 weeks), but I haven't had any problems with 10+ orders for myself and family members. Just type in your prescription and that's really about it. It also helps to measure a pair you already have that you like for fit - arm length, bridge length, frame width, etc. Zenni's return policy is also pretty bad, but they're cheap, so that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [mirthfuldragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Zenni - I use them for all my glasses too. I have Vision Insurance and Zenni is cheaper than what's cover by my plan. Also, the mention of shipping being 2 weeks, seem like for me it's around 4 weeks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, but I got Lasik a year ago and now I get whatever sunglasses I want... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakley if you are going to use them for tri I assume. You can pretty much pick any of the frames and have them do it or take the frames to your optometrist and have them do the lenses for you. My Flak Jacket XLJ's were $160 lenses included/shipped. Depending on your occupation you might be elegible for a discount, especially military/police/fire/EMT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stick-On-Bifocals-1-5-Scuba-Diving-Snorkling-Mask-BCD-Antifog-Strap-Fins-Spear-/131156257636

been using these for about 10 years now.....cheap and easy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally caved in and went to disposable contacts for the first time in my life (35yrs old). So awesome to be able to wear $20 sunglasses and not be blind on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only bad thing with wearing cheap sunglasses is you are not protecting your eyes. Think of walking into a room that is dark your pupils open up. Now that you are putting that tint on your eyes they stay open and you let the uv rays right in. If you spend 2000 to 10000 on a bike why no invest in your vision. You want a pair of sunglasses that protects against uv a, b, and c.i wear Maui Jim's and I would wear another pair of sunglasses ever in my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if they are "cool" but they sure were cheap, and seem to work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/...ct?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X-prescsgc/rxsgc-lamanf-s-l-k-k.html
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [Jere B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont see any options with the top rimless (key for aero position on the bike).
any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I don't get. I went all the way to checkout with a women's prescription Oakley frame and I was never asked the prescription. So how exactly do you get prescription lenses from them? Can your optometrist take their lenses and add prescription to it or have to make new lenses?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [RaMRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RaMRod wrote:
Oakley if you are going to use them for tri I assume. You can pretty much pick any of the frames and have them do it or take the frames to your optometrist and have them do the lenses for you. My Flak Jacket XLJ's were $160 lenses included/shipped. Depending on your occupation you might be elegible for a discount, especially military/police/fire/EMT.

That is astounding given that the frames alone are 150 retail on Oakley's site. I'd love to know where exactly you bought them if you don't mind? Oakley does not provide custom Rx directly to the public I had a hand full of conversations with them last year b/f finally going over to Smith. Unless they changed their policy in the last year you have to go to a factory authorized dealer for the Rx work....full retail pricing. I think the last pair of Rx I was able to get directly from Oakley was 2002 or 2003 b/c when I needed new grinds after that they were all from local dealers. My opto retired and when I had to go to Lens Crafters I nearly had a heart attack at the sticker price shock. I love Oakley frames they fit my face fantastically, but my last quote for them about 15 months ago was ~ $600 for frames and custom polarized Rx lenses via Lens Crafters. So you are ~ 70% off what I would pay dang! I like my Smith's, but if I can get custom Rx Oakleys for under 200 I will be going back to them for sure.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 11, 14 2:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
This is what I don't get. I went all the way to checkout with a women's prescription Oakley frame and I was never asked the prescription. So how exactly do you get prescription lenses from them? Can your optometrist take their lenses and add prescription to it or have to make new lenses?

You cannot get Rx directly from Oakley you have to go through a dealer. I became an Rx maven about 2 years ago and did a lot of research on Rudy Oak etc.

How can I place a prescription order with Oakley or file a warranty claim for my prescription Oakleys?
All prescription orders and prescription warranty claims need to be placed with an authorized Oakley Prescription Dealer. You can locate an Authorized Oakley prescription dealer in your area by using the store locater provided to you on Oakley.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to the optometrist on Tuesday to get an updated prescription. If I go there I get an extra $130 towards the frame so that's $280 I can spend, hopefully they can give me SOMEthing for that amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
I'm going to the optometrist on Tuesday to get an updated prescription. If I go there I get an extra $130 towards the frame so that's $280 I can spend, hopefully they can give me SOMEthing for that amount.

Well that is a compelling reason to use a middle man....nice deal. For me having such horrific vision optics are paramount, frame selection is 2nd. I 'like' my Smiths in the frame category, but the clarity and quality of the grind on my Rx is equal to my regular glasses and that is first for sunglasses for me. I had been very so so towards Oakley Rx for years marginal at best. I'm a -5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share how and where you ordered your Smiths? I poked sound their website a bit and it is less than user friendly. I'd like to look into them to compare with RP aNd Oakley. Maybe my google skilld have atrophied, but I'm not having much luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Can you share how and where you ordered your Smiths? I poked sound their website a bit and it is less than user friendly. I'd like to look into them to compare with RP aNd Oakley. Maybe my google skilld have atrophied, but I'm not having much luck.

Ok hold on this is seriously complicated. Deep breath. We are going to need a web address and 2 clicks.

Click here:
http://www.smithoptics.com/

Then click on 'Mens'.

There will a giant photo of sunglasses with the word 'Prescription' below it. DON'T click on that. And whatever you do don't click on 'Sunglasses' under the heading of Prescription.

All in pink;)
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 11, 14 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$280 would be extremely cheap for prescription sunglasses..

I've had good results from
http://www.heavyglare.com

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of oakleys from eye doc in dec, I had money left on flex acct and did no want to lose it. Oakleys were $550 for frame and lenses. I would not have paid that much, but I would have lost the money I'd I did not spend it. Love the glasses, but I would freak out if I lost or broke them
Last edited by: godekjames: Apr 11, 14 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses. [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Rayban New Wayfarer and Oakley Half Jacket in Rx. Both are polarized and are awesome. Raybans are the everyday pair and the Oakleys are the sporting glasses. Oakleys are definitely more expensive because they are made at the Oakley lab. Raybans can typically be made onsite and are way cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sports Optical in Denver. Purchased many pair of sunglasses from Bret and have had zero issues.

drn92
Quote Reply

Prev Next