Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prepping your bike for an IM
Quote | Reply
What do you do to prep your bike for an IM?

We're a little over a week out of IMKY and I'm about to take the cassette apart to soak and clean. Also going to clean the chain really well and ensure all tape and zip ties are good. The flat kit will get pulled out and inspected.

Anything else I should be doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, nothing too different than for any other race. I might use change out tires and tubes to make sure they're relatively fresh. Otherwise, I usually clean everything (drivetrain) before every race anyway.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always do a torque check on all the bolts a well to make sure nothing is loose, check the cable clamp areas for any fraying, and do a short ride on it making sure I shift trough all the gears with the full race setup the day I rack it to make sure everything is good to go.

Good luck at IMKY- on my list for next year

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My set up usually starts at the beginning of each season. For the most part, I start off every season with new cables and I put new tubes and new tires on the race wheels and the move the old ones to my training wheels. About a month out from IM, I put the race wheels on for the remainder of my miles and took it in for a full tune up to make sure the RD was shifting perfect. For my first IM, I also put on a new cassette and new chain about a month out. I generally keep my bike spotless regardless of the race, so nothing above and beyond my normal cleaning and maintained. Verified I had the spare kit I wanted/needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that is part of the plan, too...new tires.

As for ensuring all bolts are torqued, just check for general looseness, or use an actual torquing wrench (or whatever they're called)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advice given has been great. Torque bolts, check cables, clean/lube drive train, inspect chain, index gears to perfection, inspect flat kit, ensure bottle cages can hold the skinny water bottles they'll be handing out at aid stations (use a rubber band to tighten and add grip if needed), lube your cleats and pedals for a quick bike mount... I would also suggest adding a few wet naps into your flat kit or a pair of surgical gloves. I would hate to have greasy hands in a race and I have white grip tape...

I did all the above for my races... I also go a little overboard and take off my wheels and clean and wax my frame, and my helmet... I figure that has to save a few watts. Then I take a "race ready" picture (while following all the rules for bike photos) for all my insta followers and FB friends...Haha. Good luck! it sounds like your bike will be squared away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you've been good about maintenance all year, because then the race is just another bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are changing tubes/tires get it done ASAP. I prefer not to do anything aside from cleaning and lube within a couple weeks of a race. You want to give an opportunity for any defects or errors (pinched tube, etc) to show up before race day.I like to get at least 2-3 rides on new/updated equipment including cables and chains to ensure any gremlins are taken care of.

d00d wrote:
Actually, that is part of the plan, too...new tires.

As for ensuring all bolts are torqued, just check for general looseness, or use an actual torquing wrench (or whatever they're called)?
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Hopefully you've been good about maintenance all year, because then the race is just another bike ride.

Agreed. I don't like to tinker with my bike in the week before the race, except to wipe-down the drive train (which I do after every ride). I treat the months leading up to the race as the time to get things dialed in and ready. About a month out, I don't want to change anything. I use the last few weeks to make sure the bike is "settled-in" so that race day is just another 100 (+12) mile training ride. In the last week, at most I change to race wheels and dial in the rear-derailleur, but even then I get in 2 last rides of 20+ to make sure it is ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take mine to the LBS and tell them to go over the drivetrain, cables and brakes. I also like to use fairly new tires and tubes. They normally don't charge me anything other than any parts required since I buy all my bikes there. It has worked for me. No bike DNFs to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's IMKY?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prep my bike 2 weeks before a race. Put on newer race tires & latex tubes, clean & lube chain, and set up bike for raceday nutrition/flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my bike a mix tape and will shout random words of encouragement:
-Hey bike- you're gonna rock the course
-Yo bike, did you lose some weight? Right on!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
What's IMKY?

Ironman Louisville

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd not change much in the last week. Bikes are simple and usually only mess up if you interfere. I'd not change tyres and tubes so close.
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hand my bike to TBT and hope I see it again. It worked last month.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take two seconds and check the screws from your cleats to your shoes. Crazy but mine came loose and made the last ten miles mentally tough.
I'm cleaning my up tomorrow getting ready for Louisville also
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my bike for five years. Changed cassette once and chain twice. Never changed cables. Multiple 70.3's, one 140.6 (second coming up), and a ton of training hours. Minor tune ups from the LBS once or twice a year.

Maybe it's time to show my ride some love.
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cldtx wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Agreed. I don't like to tinker with my bike in the week before the race, except to wipe-down the drive train (which I do after every ride). I treat the months leading up to the race as the time to get things dialed in and ready. About a month out, I don't want to change anything. I use the last few weeks to make sure the bike is "settled-in" so that race day is just another 100 (+12) mile training ride. In the last week, at most I change to race wheels and dial in the rear-derailleur, but even then I get in 2 last rides of 20+ to make sure it is ok.

Yeah, have been pretty good about maintenance on the bike throughout the year. I learned my lesson the hard way.

As for changing out the tires, I've done it the week of an ironman for my last 2 and just make sure I get at least one or two rides in before the race. I don't normally change the tubes, though. I honestly thought it was the norm to change out tires and just test them out once or twice before racing.

cougie wrote:
I'd not change much in the last week. Bikes are simple and usually only mess up if you interfere. I'd not change tyres and tubes so close.

Yeah, I am not changing anything, other than tires and adding the aero jacket once I clean the cassette. I made all bike adjustments a while back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could really use some advice:

Doing Beach2Battleship in exactly one week! I was cleaning the bike today and threw on the race wheels for a quick trial run and realized my chain is pretty worn. Cassette on the disk is pretty new and I don't wanna ruin it with a worn chain. Is it too close to race day to put on a new chain? Any risk involved with a new chain the week before a race?

Please advise!
Quote Reply
Re: Prepping your bike for an IM [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not a problem at all, as long as you ride at least once around the block to make sure the new chain isn't clicking after you install it. When I replace a chain for a race I do it two days before the race, just enough time for a quick test ride the day before the race.
Quote Reply