Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14...
Quote | Reply
I'll be receiving my 2011 Felt B14 in a couple weeks and since I'll be using it solely on the Computrainer for the next few months, my only concern right now is getting a water bottle cage for it. Looking at the frame, it seems that the only place to mount one is on the seat tube.

I've found the Elite Time Trial cage and bottle, but wonder if I should be looking at anything else...

For reference:

Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [samoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 B12 (also just got) and I've mounted up an X-Lab Aero bottle so far but I am planning on doing a torpedo mounted bottle on the Aero bars as well once I get time to make the mount.

Here's a link to the X-Lab. Be careful which one you get, the holes didn't properly line up with the X-lab so I had to use a different set of (already there) holes with some washers. Not a huge inconvenience but it is nice when you don't have to improvise to make things fit.

What are you going to be using the bike for? Mines an IM bike for now, so I'm very interested in getting the correct hydration system on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are putting one on the seat tube, it is going to depend on what you plan to use it for, ie TTs, tri, long distances.

If IM, wouldn't you want a cage that you can put feedzone bottles into? The bottle you have proposed is a one and done.

If you are trying to think which bottle will make the frame faster, the answer is none. Any bottle on the seat tube will add drag to that frame. So figure out what you want water for, how much you will need and go from there.

this post does not help much.....sorry
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan on using the bike for duathlons and time trials.

When doing longer training rides, I'll probably mount one of those dual bottle holders to my seat post that go behind the saddle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For shorter stuff, I'd definitely go with the aero bottle. Either that or torpedo mount a normal bottle on the bars (or both).

I'm not planning on using my aerobottle for IM either.
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [MAnton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey samroots, not to threadjack, but how are you liking the B12? I'm torn between the B12 and B14. Then I wonder if I'm spending the money on a B12, would I better off just getting a P3! What made you go with the B12? Any insight would be appreciated...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the TT is short enough and you don't need to drink, go with no bottle or cage. Takes 15s to remove
I only use a bottle for events longer than 40k(ie 60k 4 man or 50mi ITT) possibly shorter distance if it is hot out. Not usually an issue in WI, where I am.

Striving to be as big an aero weenie as Mr. Mott....................if not more so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Profile Razor Bottle. http://www.profile-design.com/...r-bottle-system.html

This is the first season with the B16. Last year I used regular bottles and a between the aero bars on my TTX, so I'm not sure what configuration I'll run at IMNO in a few months. I also have the HC Mount http://www.profile-design.com/...ration/all-hydration and my plan for now is to run the Razor bottle and a standard bottle between the aero bars. I think this gives me the best of both worlds, super aero bottle on the frame and an interchangeable bottle between the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My B14 is due to be shipped mid December. I going to use a X-lab torpedo mount, since I plan to just do Olympic tri's for now. For longer stuff I'm not sure the best setup yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [marmiller22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought you might like to see these since I have a B12. I threw in a bunch of different shots, so you could see how I used the zip ties. Since I'm on a 51 the frame is too small for a cage/bottle, so for hydration I have an xlab turbo wing + 2 chimp cages in the back and the aero bottle setup on the front.

Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just used Zip ties? How well does that work? How often do you have to redo the job? I haven't mounted my torpedo yet, but I am going to soon . . . I think this is definitely what I will do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, also how are the gel arm rests? I have been considering grabbing some of those instead of the foam ones I have on it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You just used Zip ties? How well does that work? How often do you have to redo the job? I haven't mounted my torpedo yet, but I am going to soon . . . I think this is definitely what I will do.

One time job! Works out perfectly....it's almost crazy. I too was looking at the torpedo mount, but realized it wouldn't fit in between the extensions since they can't be adjusted. Tried the zip ties and walla! The bottle fits nice and snug, yet it's the easiest insert/removal. I recommend getting the Blackburn cage as well as it has the perfect flex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ooh, also how are the gel arm rests? I have been considering grabbing some of those instead of the foam ones I have on it now.

Eh, it's one of the only things I don't like on the bike. They'll get slippery and tend to be uncomfortable on the longer rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man, the advice helps a ton!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which bottle are you going to use for your Torpedo mount. I've heard of some people using "side-loaders"
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [robb1414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up an Aero Hammock right after I bought my B16 and I like it.

That bottle placement under the seat blows. I was used to a downtube bottle cage, and the longer bottles are really hard to reach down and grab.
I'll be picking up a sideloader cage of some type later, but with the Aero Hammock I'm only using the seat-tube cage for non-liquids anyway right now.

My bike now has different extensions and the AH isn't quite as good as a fit, but it still works fine. The AH may not hold as snugly as a cage, but it is very versatile. Try carrying a cell phone or your TV remote in a bottle cage...

-eric

Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [robb1414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried a standard cage, torpedo mount (Xlab, works great but $), and had some issues removing/replacing the bottle smoothly due to interference with my ski tips (I angle them in slightly). I switched to the Arundel side loader on a whim and it's awesome! Bottle snaps in/out so easily it's mindless. Don't have to get out of the aero position or even remove my "drinking arm" from the arm rest. The only possible issue is bottle ejection. In the aero position my arms basically rest on top of the bottle and keep it safe if I hit rough patches (or half of the Austin 70.3 course ...). However, on the horns it's conceivable you could lose one, or while running with the bike out of T1 ... especially on an uneven grass surface ... not that I would know.

One important thing to keep in mind if you go with a side loader: the Arundel at least is left- or right-hand specific (sideloader = right, othersideloader = left) based on seat tube mounting ... which is reversed from the torpedo mount ;) So if you're a righty, make sure you get the left-hand cage. Or are ambidextrous.
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [LJefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we get some pics of yours? this sounds like a good idea I'd like to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, I'll get a few after work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great pics, thanks for showing how you rigged it. would it be possible for you to have someone take similar pics with your hand on the aerobars? i feel like i must have mine on wrong as i can't get a good feel for the shifters.

anyway, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [faded_memories] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I picked up an Aero Hammock right after I bought my B16 and I like it.

That bottle placement under the seat blows. I was used to a downtube bottle cage, and the longer bottles are really hard to reach down and grab.
I'll be picking up a sideloader cage of some type later, but with the Aero Hammock I'm only using the seat-tube cage for non-liquids anyway right now.

My bike now has different extensions and the AH isn't quite as good as a fit, but it still works fine. The AH may not hold as snugly as a cage, but it is very versatile. Try carrying a cell phone or your TV remote in a bottle cage...

-eric

That is a tidy set up. I would suggest if your fit is acceptable you can trim 5-7cm off the back of the extenions and improve knee clearance and cable routing.
If you have your local shop do this work be sure they trim the cable housing lengths.

Best,
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Preferred bottle cage for 2011 Felt B14... [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That is a tidy set up. I would suggest if your fit is acceptable you can trim 5-7cm off the back of the extenions and improve knee clearance and cable routing.
If you have your local shop do this work be sure they trim the cable housing lengths.

Best,
-SD

Here are some shots with the new extensions installed. I think I'll be playing around with all the adjustments for a while, so I'm not in a hurry to trim them yet, but it they will probably get cut back before race season next year. You can clearly see that the bottle doesn't lay down as nice, but it still gets the job done.

Checking the bike now against the earlier pics, the extensions definitely don't hang out the back as much as they did before. There is probably room to take off more, but right now I am just so happy to HAVE it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

FWIW I have a B12 and I really didn't like the gel ones that came with it either. I switched to Cee Gees and they are much better

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who is annoyed with these damn bike manufacturers producing bikes with only one cage holder or in Giants case NO cage holder? Gives great numbers in the tunnel boys but the punters have to strap all sorts of contraptions on the bikes in the real world. How about just leaving space on the seat tube and down tube for the cages and if the owner doesn't want to use them they can just leave the bolts in? Felt really has no excuse for this as some of the makers with curved seat tubes do.

One legacy the P3 left us with which is not positive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next