Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [dbarron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in tears reading this thread. My heart-felt condolences go out to all of Dorothy's family and friends at this sad time. I can only add that she left this world doing something she loved to do, something that must have made her feel good inside, and thats the only amount of comfort I can find in this...

I raced at Ironman Florida this year, after nearly drowning at Ironman Lake Placid this past July. I am a strong, long distance competitive swimmer, and not afraid of mass starts. I don't think that's the problem. I think it's possible that Dorothy may have suffered the same condition that I did in Lake Placid - SIPE (swimming induced pulmonary edema) - and didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. I feel I am truly lucky to have survived the swim in Lake Placid, and am trying to share information and raise awareness about this condition in hopes of preventing it from happening to other triathletes. So far, armed with knowledge about the condition, and the support of a fantastic medical team, I seem to have been able to control at Ironman Florida without incident.

When this first happened to me, I found a thread here on slowtwitch that has lead me to better understanding the condition, thanks the all the readers here. You can read the 'play by play' on 'trifan's' original thread on this forum "Coughing up blood. Formerly help w/medical mystery " : http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...&t=search_engine

I have also co-wrote and article with 'Trey', a fellow slowtwitch member and research scientist, who has been an AWESOME resource in helping me pull together and understand the condition in great detail. You can find it on the main page of slowtwitch : http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Edema_SIPE__45.html

If someone can share this information with Dorothy's family, coach and friends, I would greatly appreciate it. I know it's a sad time, but perhaps if we can understand why it happened, it may not hurt so much. I feel something positive can come from this tragedy and we can collectively prevent SIPE from happening in the future - if nothing else, being aware of it may save another triathlete who's suffering in a swim in future.

So sorry, and sad.
Kat

5x Ultraman Finisher
18X Ironman Finisher
2013 Ironman World Championship Finisher
2012 Canadian Ultra Distance Female Triathlete of the Year
http://www.endurancetriathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [elainex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elaine and family,

When I read the story of Dorothy's accident I felt so bad for her children waiting for her on the beach. As the support crew for an athlete, it is our worst nightmare scenario. No matter how many races, it never leaves the back of your mind that something could happen.

I want to both extend my sympathy and commend Dorothy and the family for choosing a gift of life. Through your grief, now and into the future, please take some comfort that Dorothy lives on through others. It can never replace Dorothy, perhaps the thought can lessen the pain. In 1993 I received a double organ transplant and a second chance of life. Without that transplant I would not have lived. Not a day goes by that I don't think of how lucky I am to be alive.

I was not allowed to contact my donor's family. Every time I hear of a organ donation, I try to let the family know how much they did for others. It sounds like Dorothy would be happy to know she helped someone else to live.

Sue Bonness
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [katwoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kat,

thank you for the information, i will look into that as one of the potential causes just in case her children want deeper answers as to the physical/medical "why's?" later in life. but one thing we do know, it was not a jellyfish that caused her initial problems.

thank you again.

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sue,

thank you. i think that anyone who donates their organs truly appreciates life and the gift it is. and, yes, it does mean a lot. i know when her children get older and surf the waves of this internet, pieces of what their mom were will piece together with their personal memories and find a renewal of her spirit within them.

thank you for your thoughts.

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [elainex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to get the address, if anyone out there knows it please let me know. I will be donating to the JOH foundation, but I would also like to send a personal card to the family. Anyone with this information please help me. Dorothy's story has touched many lifes (including mine--and I didn't even know her) and I would just like to let the family know!

Thank you,
Stephanie

Steph4tsu@yahoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [Steph4tsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next