Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap data questions
Quote | Reply
I have the Powertap Pro which I have only been using in recent times (purchased Jun05).

a) I've found that when I download into Powerlink lite the dates are always wrong. For some reason it always seems to come up with a date in 2003 and you have to manually go to the csv file and rename it. Is there a setting somewhere that can be made to 'reset' any internal clock?

b) Aren't the units meant to split up rides if it's been off for a certain period of time? I can't recall offhand but it was either a ride into and a ride home from work that got merged into one, or a ride home and the next morning that were merged. Possibly this could be related to a) if there's an internal clock issue. I was under the impression that the unit could distinguish that it had been stopped sufficiently long enough to break it into another separate file (although I get the strange feeling this also happened with the Garmin 301 and maybe I am getting confused!)

c) Oh and if you're doing intervals, if you had the wattage set on 'avg' watts does this readout actually show the current average for the interval you are doing or does it show the ongoing overall ride average? For example if you wanted to average X Watts for a lap and you're close to the end you could see if you need to pick it up a bit to hit that average.

Thanks in advance for answers to any of these.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap data questions [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my dates were wrong initially, but go into your computer (PC) while your PT is linked and you can change that stuff.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a) don't know.

b) Use the interval function. Make one ride Interval 1 and the second ride Interval 2. Then, you can analyze them separately. When switching to another interval, the button-pressing sequence has a pause in it. You get a chance to do a recovery, or stop for water, or whatever, before starting up the next interval. A nice feature, IMO.

c) In interval mode, the data displayed is only for that particular interval. To get "whole ride" averages across all intervals, you need to do a download.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the SL but I assume the display unit is the same based on what I read in the manual.

a) My display unit was broken and it would download a date of 1/1/02 or 1/1/03 every time. I changed the date using the menu but it never fixed the download problem. I ended up sending it in and getting another. I do not know if this is the same problem you are experiencing. If you have never set the clock, follow the manual instructions to change the date and time.

b) My unit does split up my rides if there is a significant time difference between rides. When it was broken, it was not recording anything and it looked like one ride even if I rode five times that day. When it is working correctly, I go into the import function to pull up the other rides. When downloading into the software, it only puts one of the rides on the screen. Since the software is pretty weak, I always look at the ride in excel anyway. Even if your powertap combines rides, with the data in excel and if the time and date function are working, it is easy to distinguish each ride for multiple ride days.

c) Not to contradict Ashburn, but I think the display unit allows you to toggle between interval and entire ride display (maybe this is new with the SL). If your unit has this capability, I think you can toggle by holding down the mode button if I remember correctly. A nice feature about the SL is that you can review the intervals without downloading. I do not think this is pobbible with all the powertap units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read the User's Manual? Did you set the date on the head unit?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap data questions [Owenmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses people.

Obviously I didn't read the manual front to back, must have missed the clock part! I went in and found where to change it in the software. It didn't fix the one ride that was already in there after I tried downloading it again, hopefully from now on it will work cause I'm in Oz and don't want to send it all the way back.

I suppose if the time and date is working correct then yeah I could do that. Maybe now I changed the settings it may be different

Yeah I can toggle with the Pro. Just wasn't sure if the interval readout was for the current interval or overall whilst in the computer (obviously after download) but sounds like it does it for both.

Thanks everyone.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap data questions [Owenmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but I think the display unit allows you to toggle between interval and entire ride display (maybe this is new with the SL). If your unit has this capability, I think you can toggle by holding down the mode button if I remember correctly. A nice feature about the SL is that you can review the intervals without downloading. I do not think this is pobbible with all the powertap units."

All of this is possible with the Pro unit as well.
Quote Reply