Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap and lacing rims
Quote | Reply
I am considering pulling my powertap from a set of Flo 30s and lacing it to my set of Zipp 404s (aluminum brake track, 2009s). My question is, can it be done safely? My Zipp rear wheel is 24 hole and the Powertap is 32 hole. Anybody weigh in on if this is possible to pull of safely? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap and lacing rims [str8himalaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a job for an experienced wheel builder. There are two options; first is 16 spokes, 2 across on the drive side and 8 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Second is called crows foot or something like that, it has 12 spokes on each side in groups of three with one radial and the other two crossing.

This isn't the build you want to do for your first wheel build.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap and lacing rims [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post, with a typo: NDS must be cross laced, DS may be radial.
Assuming G3 PT's are like G1 and G2...
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap and lacing rims [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Good post, with a typo: NDS must be cross laced, DS may be radial.
Assuming G3 PT's are like G1 and G2...

I am pretty sure all PowerTaps are supposed to use a crossed lacing pattern on both sides for the highest accuracy, though Mavic used a radial on one side. My guess is that the PT will read a little low if you me lacing.

I have seen the crow's foot used to lace a 32h PT to a 24 hole rim, and it looks kinda cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 24h PT I would trade you straight up if interested..send me a PM with the details of your hub if interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triplet lacing your wheel is the best option if you decide to try it (16 DS, 8 NDS), but it isn't very good. You can cross lace the NDS; 1x. Elbows out.

Best choice: sell your wheel and buy a 24h PT hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with getting a 24h PowerTap. They recommend at least 2x lacing both DS and NDS, if I remember. I've never laced a PowerTap radially before.

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply