Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Powertap VS Stages Powermeter
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am going to take the plunge into a power meter this fall and I am doing my research on available options.

Option #1 I have a HED jet 5 front 7 rear on my tri bike. I can send the rear wheel to wheelbuilders and have them install a Powertap G3 hub in the HED 7 wheel and throw on a aero jacket disk for about $1000.00
I will be able to use the wheel for indoor and outdoor training on my tri bike and road bike. Switching out a wheel is not a huge deal.

OPTION #2 Get a stages powermeter crank arm put on my tri bike for $700 and get a disk cover for about $100. Save a few bucks BUT my road bike will be DOA . I don't feel like swapping out crank arms every time I want to switch between my tri bike or road bike. This may not be an issue as I only race on the tri bike and use the road bike for fun rides and a little on the trainer.

I would love to hear from anyone who owns both the stages and a powertap.

FWIW I plan on using my Garmin 310 as a computer with whatever I go with.

THANKS
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know people will say how easy it is to move stages from one bike to another but I absolutely love quickly releasing my rear wheel and moving my powertap to my road bike without tools

I'm an analytics junky and I'd go crazy without a power meter on my road bike
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am not a huge fan of the thought of changing crank arms every time I want to use the PM on a different bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap pros:
measures both legs
auto-zero works really well
most accurate option for field testing

powertap cons:
state of drivetrain affects power reading

stages pros:
state of drivetrain does not affect power reading
can use any wheel you want

stages cons:
only measures one leg, and human l/r balance is neither consistent nor equal
less accurate for field testing, even ignoring the left-only issue

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any question that comes up with stages you can bet $100 that you will comment on it. I own both a powertap and stages. I like the stages more for the reason I am able to change wheels and when racing I get good data. The power data has been fine with the stages. I have not noticed any crazy readings with it being left leg only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jack,

I am leaning toward the option of getting a G3 installed in my HED 7. I can change a wheel out in about 10 seconds. AND I can only ride one bike at a time anyway.

I haven't heard any real bad stuff about powertap G3 hubs and I have gotten some mixed reviews about the stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People sometimes have problems with G3 hubs, they aren't perfect. But you can usually send in the little electronic piece for service rather than the whole wheel which is nice.

I've had a G3 only for about 6 months, no problems yet. My G2 hub has been reliable for years.

Jamie wrote:
Thanks Jack,

I am leaning toward the option of getting a G3 installed in my HED 7. I can change a wheel out in about 10 seconds. AND I can only ride one bike at a time anyway.

I haven't heard any real bad stuff about powertap G3 hubs and I have gotten some mixed reviews about the stages.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

powertap cons:

Jack, by state of the drivetrain do you mean that for instance a worn out chain or cassette may alter the power reading? Or more like cross-chaining or something like that? I have not heard about that, could you elaborate on it? I'm pulling the trigger on a powertap myself and this won't influence my decision but I'd still like to learn about possible issue. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a G3 for about a year now and Love it. I wanted to go with a stages however they don't offer one I can use on my road and tri bike I would have to buy the entire crankset. So it was more expensive my only problem with the PT is that I have no wheel options but it honestly have not made much of a difference I bought a 60 front flo and a cover for the PT and race that way seems to work great. I have a 9 speed road bike and bought a second freehub to put that cassette on and even swapping those moving the PT over only take 2 minutes which is very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option you might want to consider is selling your Jet and picking up another Jet on the classifieds or EBay already built with a Powertap. My guess is that would overall be less expensive than rebuilding your wheel. I went the route of rebuilding my 808, but after the price of the rebuild, decided I should have just bought used.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked for a HED disk with powertap and you don't see them used that much. New they are about $1900.

I would pay $1000 for a good used on if it was available.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [njsurfer85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
njsurfer85 wrote:
I own both a powertap and stages. I like the stages more for the reason I am able to change wheels and when racing I get good data. The power data has been fine with the stages. I have not noticed any crazy readings with it being left leg only.
Have you done field testing for aero or rolling drag? Some things you do with power meters demand higher data quality than other things. If you don't do things that demand high data quality (and many riders don't) then data that are "fine" may be good enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. Look at what Jackmott posted. The Powertap is easier to deal with, not that the Stages is hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the powertap, but I would never buy another stages. It's got serious reliability issues related to the battery. Mine worked fine for about two months and then starting burning through batteries daily. I finally got this resolved through a firmware update, but now I have constant problems with signal loss. I won't go through all the back and forth with Stages customer service and different "fixes" but the everything involving the battery cover, battery, and contacts is a terrible design. In fact given the design I don't see how anyone can avoid eventual water damage inside the unit. Maybe subsequent iterations will feature a better design but they've lost me as a future customer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything that affects drivetrain friction. so, if your chain is low on lube or dirty, powertap will read low compared to what your legs are doing.

gummed up derailleur pulley, read low.

cross chained, etc

Thankfully most of these effects are very small, and can be managed by keeping your chain clean, which you should do anyway.

This same issue works in reverse if doing field testing, where you want to know the power at the wheel rather than the power at the legs. In that case, a powertap is better.

snaaijert wrote:
jackmott wrote:

powertap cons:

Jack, by state of the drivetrain do you mean that for instance a worn out chain or cassette may alter the power reading? Or more like cross-chaining or something like that? I have not heard about that, could you elaborate on it? I'm pulling the trigger on a powertap myself and this won't influence my decision but I'd still like to learn about possible issue. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am assuming you are looking at these 2 options because of price ?

If so, maybe the new Garmin offering (single pedal) may be an option. You can eventually get the second pedal and eliminate the cons Jackmott mentioned. You would be restricted by pedal type.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did think about that, maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I am assuming you are looking at these 2 options because of price ?

If so, maybe the new Garmin offering (single pedal) may be an option. You can eventually get the second pedal and eliminate the cons Jackmott mentioned. You would be restricted by pedal type.

OH yeah, I just remember why i ruled them out. I don't want to give up speed-play pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can sit around and debate which power meters are better but only you can decide which one is right for your situation. Figure out how much you want to spend and how you intend to use it.

I recently purchased a stages PM because it was in my price range, wanted crank based power ( multiple race wheels) and power is a secondary training metric.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:
I recently purchased a stages PM because it was in my price range, wanted crank based power ( multiple race wheels) and power is a secondary training metric.

What is your primary training metric(s)?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heart Rate
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider a reversal.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap VS Stages Powermeter [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Maybe during racing I'll use power as a primary pacing metric. For long course, heart rate suits me fine
Quote Reply

Prev Next