Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power tap questions; Need Advice
Quote | Reply
For all you Power Tap users, please help. I am going to purchase a power tap and I am looking for some opinions on the wheel choice. I would like to both train and race on the same wheel. I am curious what most people think.---Thanks for the help.---JTG
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap questions; Need Advice [JTG2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put it on an open pro wheel to a nice hub. then buy a wheelcover from wheelbuilder.com (i think that's it) trimmed for the PT hub...you'll have a nice training wheel and a disc.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am using a Nimble Fly for my PT Pro. Go to Nimble.net they have several packages available.
Also check out wheelbuilder.com Rich can build about any wheel you want. Am looking at a velocity deep wheel for my race bike. He can cut a disk cover to fit as well.

He also has Zipp and Reynolds packages if you hae $$$$

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a number I can call you at?

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your options are fairly bountiful as of around 6 months ago. There are some questions which haven't been asked which I think play into the decision whether you should go Open Pro/Velocity/Box Section rim versus Reynolds/Hed/Zipp deep section.
1. What type of wheel do you train on now? Clincher or Tubi? Box or Deep?
2. How are the roads on which you train, or in your area in general?
3. (Probably the one that will determine the most) How much are you looking to spend?
If you're trying to keep the investment to a minimum you could go with a Open Pro with a PT Pro. If you are not so much concerned with cost and care about 200 grams (at the hub) go with the PT SL. If you want some value to your purchase go with HED. 90% of the people here will probably tell you to go Zipp which IMO is stupidly overpriced. If you don't think so look at the resale value of Zipp, they're typically less than 50% of the original price and there's a FLOOD of them available.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap questions; Need Advice [bigdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do over....

I had all the same questions as you - I got the CXP33 32 - 3x.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Velocity Aerohead OC - 28H - mated to a PTSL. Very happy with it so far. Wheel cover is arriving today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in case it helps:

I train on good roads, using deep dish clinchers. However, I usually race on Tubs, (deep dish front and disk in the rear). Cost isn't too much of a factor. Hope this helps. ---JTG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocity Deep V w/ disc covers

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, if you have to have tubies, I'd say Reynolds, followed by HED, then Zipp (but only the Pave version, my experience with non-Pave Zipp tubulars is that they have to be ridden on smooth-as-glass roads). If you don't 'mind' clinchers, I'd say again Reynolds (all-carbon-clincher this time). I've had a set with PT rear since November and put around 1500 miles on them so far and can tell you, they're bomb proof and offer a much better ride than any regular clincher. Yes, I've ridden Zipp 303, 404, Open Pros, AC Sprint 350s. Next on clinchers I'd go with HED, again, you can't beat the value there. My next set will be an Alps set because all-carbon-clinchers make me nervous on wet weather rides. Last, I'd look at Zipp citing comparitive cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey JTG2000

i'm getting this Bontrager wheel

http://www.bontrager.com/...rks/Wheels/17565.php

i wanted a wheel that was better then the open pro but not as high zoot at an Hed alps or Zipp 404.

i even asked Bontrager if you could use this wheel on your trainer and they said it was cool.

Dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean that Zipps need smooth roads? Northern Illinois roads have not been able to do anything to any of the Zipps I have ridden. Not sure what makes a Korean Reynolds a better wheel than a US built Zipp...not that the Zipp is better than the Reynolds for that matter.

All carbon clinchers tend to have a low max PSI. I myself will ride metal clincher wheels with no PSI limit. Yes, I know the 404Clincher has a limit - but I would never ride a clincher "race wheel" either for that matter.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap questions; Need Advice [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chip,

The difference between the Reynolds and Zipp rims is impact resistance; it's not even a close contest, IMHOP.

I have broken several Zipp rims. They are just plain fragile when you hit something like, well, a pothole. Or a rock. Or just about anything. Hell, that's why they came up with the Pave rim - because guys like me were blowing the rims up in 'cross, and on rough road courses. Heck, I have a broken Zipp rim in the closet right now - and the front wheel of that set was replaced with a Reynolds rim when I broke the Zipp on it last season. I hit a rock. I might mention I weigh about 143 pounds.

A large, super-strong rider on my old team broke three Zipp rims in 3 weeks a couple of years ago. The third made a remarkably good frisbee as he was waiting for the wheel car. That same rider just killed the Cosmic Carbone set he bought to replace the Zipps.

I have had a set of Lew wheels for years, and while I have broken spokes on them (which sucks...) the rims are indestructible. This is essentially the same rim as the Reynolds - and unless things have changed, they are a US made rim.

I have a firm belief that the Zipp rim is a faster, more aero design than the Reynolds. That makes it a better race-only wheel for road or tri. But I would never, ever train on one. No way. I have better things to spend my money on than (another) broken wheel...

(as an aside, yes, I still race on several Zipp wheels. I'm just careful when I put them on...)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a Zipp 404 rear clincher with PT, with a cover. Also bought 808 clincher for front. In my opinion, it was worth a few hundred extra for the Zipp rim vs. Open Pro or DT Swiss, since it's a better stand alone race wheel if I choose (or am not allowed) to use cover. And of course, more importantly, it'll look better on my bike :-). It is my understanding as well that the clincher is more durable as an everyday wheel than the tubie.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply