Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power questions
Quote | Reply
I see many references to Coggan's book. (I plan on ordering it). Are there any other books that talk about power/suggested workouts for IM training? I am getting an SRM with my new bike. Does it come with analytical software or is that something I have to get aftermarket? I have been cut and pasting the threads here about FTP, IF, NP and anything else I can find.

Thanks.

S-Man
Quote Reply
Re: Power questions [Superman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the book and Cycling Peaks. They go hand-in-hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to get CyclingPeaks software. I just got it recently, though I've been training with power for over 3 years now. The OEM stuff does not even come close to helping you understand the metrics like CyclingPeaks does...unless you want to constantly plug figures to come up with the "Normalized Power", Training Stress Score (TSS), and IF figures that CP software provides. I can't believe I waited this long to get a copy of CyclingPeaks. Don't do like I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Power questions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I just ordered the book. Amazon's one-click ordering system is dangerous. I can show a little restraint when I have to take the time to fill out an online order form, but when all I have to do is click once it is easy to make impulse purchases.

Does Rich Strauss have any literature out there? I plan on using the 2 x 20 min (2" rest) to figure out my FT.

Thanks again for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't find much IM specific training advise in the Allen/Coggan book, but you are on the right track with Strauss. Check out his forum, and his IM training plans with power are by far the best value out there when it comes to the whole package. And you will want Cycling Peaks software with your power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Power questions [shaner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane,

Thanks for the good words on the training plans. If you need CyclingPeaks, I'm selling it for $65, shipping including. Retail is $75.

-----------------

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Re: Power questions [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich,

I'll let you know when my ride arrives. I am going to look into one of the training plans as well.

-S-Man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Lots of good discussions on my board lately, starting from mid January or so. Lots of power training athletes in there so a great place to learn from other athletes and coaches.

----------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, couple more things.

The software that comes with the PT and SRM is really only good for showing you your data, not helping you to understand it and use it as a tool to improve your training and racing. CyclingPeaks gives you excellent power analysis tools but also offers us a system of terms, etc that take this understanding to a new level.

Most of us have had to muddle through message boards and the software in order to really understand it all, until the recent publication of Allen and Coggan's book. I put together a group order sold about $60 copies to athletes until I figured out it wasn't worth going head to head with Amazon :-) However, it and CyclingPeaks are now required tools for my athletes.

-----------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On our site is a free download of a normalized power, TSS, IF calculator, that works in Excel. Obviously, not as good as the proper software, but hey it's free!

see http://cyclecoach.com/...sed_Power_TSS_IF.htm

Ric

http://www.cyclecoach.com
Quote Reply