Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter (or other) selection
Quote | Reply
Year end bonus is coming up, and among the things I want to buy is a power meter. Here is my situation:

I do 95% of my bike sessions indoor, on the trainer (winter conditions, work schedule, family schedule, etc.). I have been using a Cycleops Fluid2 trainer with TrainerRoad and Virtual Power for a while with good results (I'd say I range in the top 20% in most races I do, sometimes in top 10%). I have come to a point though where I am starting to get annoyed with the variability in Virtual Power (trainer wheel pressure on tire, tire pressure itself, tire wear, etc.). Hence my interest in a more accurate power reading. I like the trainer, but I cannot rely on it as my power reading.

I also have to add that I will need a second trainer for my wife, as I'm fed up of switching bikes back and forth.

My bike is a road bike (Argon 18 Krypton) built with Shimano 105 (and a few minor pieces in Ultegra - cassette, chain - upgraded when worn out).

I kinda narrowed it down to 5 possibilities that would probably fit the budget. I'm not sure which way to go.

1- Stages PM and a second basic trainer. Straightforward to install, cheap. Would get me more or less stuck with a 105 crank (if I ever wanted to upgrade to Ultegra). Single leg power. Would take care of the second trainer issue as well.

2- Garmin Vector S and a second trainer. Fairly straightforward to install, relatively cheap. Single leg again. I would think about upgrading it to a full Vector in the future, but I'm always annoyed about paying more for something I could have had cheaper if I had bought it complete to start with. Would also take care of second trainer issue. Also... would I need to change other pedal, or can I use different cleats (pedals are 105 currently)?

3- Power2Max. Both legs. A tad more complex to install. A little more expensive - unless I'm wrong, I'd need to get it with Rotor crank to be compatible with groupset. Would need the BB tool as well. Chainrings? I doubt I can fit a second trainer in there when all the tools / accessories are added up. I do most of my minor maintenance, but I've never fiddled with BB and don't have the tools for it (although I have a ½" torque wrench).

4- Garmin Vector. Ideal, but not sure I can fit it in budget.

5- Wahoo Kickr. Would take care of second trainer and constant power reading during training, but obviously useless on race day.

Ideally, I'd like a full Vector set. Should I just wait until I can add up a little money to the bonus? Or is Power2Max easier than I think to install? Or Stages good enough for what I want to do? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter (or other) selection [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Vectors? You don't need Left/Right power. It's useless. I'd go for a Quarq

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2max was very easy to install for me - that's the part I was worried about as well. I didn't need any special tools, just a 5mm allen key and a torque wrench to tighten things down properly.

Now I did buy the full meal deal with the PM and crankset included so it was just a matter of removing the old crankset and replacing it with the P2max. Biggest issue I had was that the old crankset was standard and new was compact so I had to fiddle with the front derailleur to get it shifting properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter (or other) selection [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Why Vectors? You don't need Left/Right power. It's useless. I'd go for a Quarq

I'm all fine with Quarq as an option, but I'm a little mixed up with what would be compatible with a 10sp Shimano 105 groupset on a BSA BB. I'm assuming Riken S?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1740/

Get this and some dura ace chainrings. You could probably even use 105 chain rings. It won't match but it will retain the look of a Shimano groupset. Get the GXP version

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter (or other) selection [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1740/

Get this and some dura ace chainrings. You could probably even use 105 chain rings. It won't match but it will retain the look of a Shimano groupset. Get the GXP version

Isn't the RS for 11sp and R for 10sp? Their support/FAQ section would seem to say so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ELSA RS is "11 speed". However, you can use it on a 10 speed system. The only difference that changed from 10 speed to 11 speed is the exteral width of the chain. The internal width stayed the same. Therefore, you can fit the ELSA RS onto a 10 speed system.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also get the FSA Gossamer Power2max. Its a bit cheaper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a Powertap wheel? I've had 2 of them, and absolutely love mine. And they're a lot less finicky than most crank-based power meters. I've got a basic box-rim with 28 or 32-spokes, and put a Wheelbuilder cover on it for race day. IMO the perfect setup is a 404-rear Powertap with a cover for race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter (or other) selection [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
What about a Powertap wheel? I've had 2 of them, and absolutely love mine. And they're a lot less finicky than most crank-based power meters. I've got a basic box-rim with 28 or 32-spokes, and put a Wheelbuilder cover on it for race day. IMO the perfect setup is a 404-rear Powertap with a cover for race day.

I thought about Powertap wheels... Only thing is, I have race day wheels already which I am not looking to replace, and getting just the Powertap hub can't be fitted in those wheels. I saw the Powertap like the Wahoo Kickr for me - used in training, not in race and I was gaining more there with the Kickr as it served as a second trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kickr or similar trainer is the single best training tool for triathlon cycling. I do probably 90% of my cycling workouts on the Cycleops Powerbeam and my coach uses a Kickr. Erg mode allows for incredibly consistent intervals and I've seen dramatic improvements in my own bike strength over the past few years.

I'd encourage you to get one and then as a future upgrade to get a bike based PM for your race rig. Bike based power meters that are more accurate than one leg power and more reliable than many of the cheaper options out now will come down drastically in price over the next few years.

Max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a Power2Max on my 105 drivetrain which is on my road bike (and swap it to my tri bike with Ultegra drivetrain) and it works great. I got the FSA Gossamer crank and with the preinstalled rings and a new BB it was right at $900. Super easy to install. Good luck!!!
Quote Reply