Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Tap vs Race Wheels
Quote | Reply
I have a Road Rocket that I use for tris and am looking at either a set of Zipp 404's or a Power Tap. I'm leaning towards the power tap as I think it would be a good training aid however the Zipps sure look sweet. Does anyone know if the Power Tap hub could be built up with an aero rim like the 404? Also interested in your comments on racing Ironman distance using power as a gauge? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap vs Race Wheels [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of wheels do you have now?

You can build a zipp rim built around a power tap.

I don't have use power to train (yet), so i can't comment on that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you can get Power Taps pre built from Trek dealers with any Brontrager rim and Zipp rims.Mine is built with a Mavic Open Pro since I dont plan to race it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on racing Ironman using power as a primary indication: First off, I'm no Ironman elite competitor- my fastest is 10:42 at Canada '97. I think I can go faster.
In general the bike section of Ironman seems to be a good time to conserve, stay effecient and watch your heart rate monitor so you aren't ever working too hard. Eat, drink, ride easy and wait. The race really doesn't seem to start until mile 13 of the run. If you get to that point fresh, then you can race. Until then, it seems to be all about conservation and effeciency for us mortals.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While a zipp rim on the PT is the best option you have for a PT race wheel, would that wheel stand-up to everyday training demands as well? If not, it seems like you would lose the primary benefit of the PT: the ability to track your power output day in and day out. In the interest of being assured that the wheel would hold up to the demands of "training with power," I would get the Mavic 32-hole rim for training and race on race wheels. As for whether you should get race wheels or a PT training wheel, I would decide that based on where you are in your progression toward your goals in this sport. If you want to qualify for Kona and you have come very close (within 5 minutes) of doing so on your non-power based training program using box-rim wheels, then stick with the trinaing methods you have used so far and get the race wheels in hopes that they will put you over the top. On the other hand, if you are an enthusiastic novice who is just learning how to really train for this sport, get the PT and start the learning process with as much info as possible. In my opnion, though, to get the most out of the PT you will need to combine it with some regular physiological testing protocol (e.g., www.fact-canada.com) so that you lend meaning to the number your PT provides. Of course, I advocate such testing even if you are only using your HRM to set your training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely doable! I have a 404 rim on a powertap right now! Im also getting some reynolds 62mm wheels built up on a powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get powertaps hubs built arounds many rims, including race aero rims like Zipps, Enve, Williams, etc; I have 2 powertaps moumted om race wheels: Zipp 900 disc and an older style Zipp 808. Look on WheelBuilder's website for a few options w powertaps.

You can also keep an eye open in the classified section on the forum here: i bought most wheels I own here..

Training and racing with power is for me, very valuable. I would find it hard to go without it. It's the ultimate pacing tool especially for long course like 70.3 and IM distances. I am no Elite, but I am FOP especially on the bike (sub 5h bike split in Kona) in most races.

But you need to be into numbers and be on top of uploading your files after each ride and races and taking time to analyze things a bit. If not, it is just another expensive speedometer...

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a PT hub on HED Jet wheels and also a PT hub on Zipp 404 (Ritchey branded) wheels. Both are durable and suitable for everyday use. FWIW, I have set several PRs after I started training with power three years ago, and I am 50+ years old. I attribute it primarily to training with power and a better work ethic, and secondarily to better gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap vs Race Wheels [m091554] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to bump up a 12 year old thread. I wonder if OP is still searching for race wheels with powertap after 12 years...
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap vs Race Wheels [kkcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... he just joined today. And posted 10 times. I wonder if well see a post in the classifieds soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years I have had 404 tubulars / aluminum cluchers and currently an 808 tubular. So yes it can be done.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap, flo30 rims and a wheel cover and your set!

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SPL Tech [ In reply to ]