Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels?
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch! Have I got a question for you!

I'm a collegiate cyclist (Cat C / 4) and amateur triathlete (1:09 sprint, 2:25 oly) that is in the predicament of deciding which of the three things above I should purchase next.

I raced cyclocross last year and really enjoyed it, but I was on a borrowed bike that I wont have access to this season. A new (probably used tbh) bike would help in the wet Seattle winter and would encourage me to get out and race in the fall. But they are expensive and I'm on a college student's budget.

The power meter seems like the best choice since it would be the cheapest and offer the best training help. But I have been told once you get to training with power you can't go back. I would also have to buy a new garmin edge to get power data since I have the 405 which can't grab power from ANT+. It would also need to be able to be moved back and forth between my TT bike and road bike.

Race wheels look pro and make you faster. I love doing TT's and triathlons but having the stock shimano wheels looks dorky. But I do need a new set of wheels as I have 3 wheels total between two bikes at the moment. One is terribly out of true.

My budget is around 800-1200$, but the cheaper the better. All advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Train hard to Race harder

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [ttoc6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Chinese carbon clinchers/tubular for around 600, stages PM, and garmin 500. All around 1200-1300. Or a used powertap laced into a race wheel used. Power meter will be your best friend for training for road races and a huge help for pacing during TT/Tri. Cross is too expensive and overrun with hipsters...and it does not allow for an off season to rebuild if you road race and do tri's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had space to store it I'd go for a cyclocross bike. I think that will get you riding more and riding harder. There's nothing like racing to push your intensity up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter is the sensible option, but a cx bike will let you ride more (both cx races and general sloppy Seattle riding). Pm will let you ride smarter and race wheels will let you ride faster, but neither will let you ride more.

(Shameless plug. .. I'm selling a like new cx frameset in the classifieds)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I am talking to a guy in Seattle area selling that exact same bike surprisingly enough. (It is is too fitting since my name is Scott to pass up having a scott branded bike).

To everyone else, I'm not disposed to buying a power meter used if that changes the answer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttoc6 wrote:
Race wheels look pro and make you faster. I love doing TT's and triathlons but having the stock shimano wheels looks dorky. But I do need a new set of wheels as I have 3 wheels total between two bikes at the moment. One is terribly out of true.

!

You just nailed the most important points right there; looking good will make you go faster and you do need some wheels so I would also recommend going with the budget Chinese carbon clincher wheels. For sure fuck the power meter; just ride hard as often as you can,hit the weight room at your school and you will blow right past the guys who are looking at their fancy power meter displays.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my thought. 90% of winning a bike race is doing it in style. Although cyclocross was fun, I think training is way more important. Hopefully I can wrangle enough for both :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may not be disposed but I've got two used Powertaps and I've never had a problem with either. One is laced into a used chinese carbon clincher with an 88 mm rim and its been great. Cost me ~$720. Best bang for the buck I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you train on the 88mm? If so, how does that handle poor weather and wind? I'm watching out on the forums for stuff. The local craigslist too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy all three: used
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap G3 on Kinlin XR380 - strong, aero and not too expensive. Or find a NOS Pro hub to save a couple of hundred. Joule GPS or Magellan Cyclo headunit.
Scrounge together the bits for a CX bike over the next few months, maybe a single ring on the front to save on cost of shifter and mech (and save weight).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, figure out the budget. Is it $800 or $1200?

Then:
1) True that third wheel.
2) Cross bike - used for $600-$800
3) Race wheels: Get new or lightly used ones at the end of the season from a reputable brand: ~ $500
4) Power meter: you don't need it yet. Just ride more (on the cross bike) and race. Power meters are for older people or pros or people who already have cross bikes and racing wheels. Plus the price of power meters is dropping fast. Wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that power meters are getting more and more affordable. Cross would let me ride more and if I can find a bike for that price I would be very happy. Browsing the local craigslist it seems 750 or so is the going price of nice, aluminum, name branded, 4-5 year old bikes; which doesn't seem too bad. Race wheels will come with time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I got it, I have had it on my tri bike and not taken it off. I do about half my riding/training on my tri bike and half on my road bike (the reason for the second power tap). I don't really find any problems with handling in the wind, but I do notice the difference in braking when it is wet. How much better it is braking on my aluminum rims when it is wet is tough to say.

I got my first one off eBay, second off classifieds here. Both no problems to report. One came as a set of wheels

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was in a similar situation, wanted power and race wheels. I came close to buying the garmin vector on sale for $1150 but then..... Performance had the Reynolds assault carbon wheel set with a G3 power tap for sale at $1350, free shipping. So, I figured vectors (pedals + pwr) or a new carbon aero wheels (front and rear) + power for $1350. So, I killed two birds for the $1350. They have a fixed $500 sale off of $2150 which brings it to $1650. Wait for the 20% sale and its yours for just over $1300. Felt like a good deal.
Last edited by: avikoren1: Jul 23, 14 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
First, figure out the budget. Is it $800 or $1200?

Then:
1) True that third wheel.
2) Cross bike - used for $600-$800
3) Race wheels: Get new or lightly used ones at the end of the season from a reputable brand: ~ $500
4) Power meter: you don't need it yet. Just ride more (on the cross bike) and race. Power meters are for older people or pros or people who already have cross bikes and racing wheels. Plus the price of power meters is dropping fast. Wait.

I'd swap the race wheels and power meter in your list. Race wheels just speed you up a bit and that's it. The power meter helps tremendously with training if you use it right. The cross bike helps with doing more training and racing in the winter. Using the power meter over the winter, and racing cross, will help him far more than spending money to chop 30s or whatever off his bike split, but with no growth in that gain.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter, Cyclocross Bike, or Race wheels? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well. I don't know if "cross is fun but training is more important". You finish in the top 10 in an A race in cross in Seattle, and tell me how much fun cross is. I don't think there is a harder hour in sport than an A cross race. You are young and new to the sport. Getting 15-20 cross starts this fall and not leaving Seattle (unless you go to PDX) is way more learning than you will do in triathlon between Sept and Dec. I would go with the cross bike, the power meter, then the fancy wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racing a full season of cyclocross then getting outside during the winter with fenders will make you faster than the other stuff, in my opinion. Plus, it will help your cornering and bike handling skills. It's a lot of strength in the 3-15 second zone, like real high torque stuff, which you don't get in normal riding much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero wheels with a powertap?

Takes care of two of the three things. If you don't mind training on race wheels.
Quote Reply