Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Posterior knee pain and cleat placement?
Quote | Reply
I get occasional inflammationat the insertion of the semimembranosus muscle on the tibia after high volume weeks (i am a roadie who rides around 275-325mpw). The issue always resolves itself after a few easy days but i want to find the underlying instigator. Assuming proper saddle height, AKA not too high, which mine is not, people argue that moving the cleats aft will help with the issue. My cleats are right in the middle, when u switch to a more aft cleat position i notice my gastroc's are much tighter than normal. In general i am just curious to see what some people with a fitting background have to say, i am pretty well versed in anatomy so you can use big words.
Quote Reply
Re: Posterior knee pain and cleat placement? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use big words.

But, if you are moving your cleats back (aft), then aren't you effectively raising your saddle?

If that is the case, then I would shift cleats back and lower the saddle a couple of millimeters. You may indeed be riding with too high a saddle if your cleats are shifted further back and you notice a pain behind your knee as well as into your calf.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Posterior knee pain and cleat placement? [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
I don't use big words.

But, if you are moving your cleats back (aft), then aren't you effectively raising your saddle?

If that is the case, then I would shift cleats back and lower the saddle a couple of millimeters. You may indeed be riding with too high a saddle if your cleats are shifted further back and you notice a pain behind your knee as well as into your calf.

That is what i am thinking, possibly the saddle height is just a few mm too high and the hard racing season brings out the issue. So moving the cleats 3-4mm back would equate to how many mm saddle drop?

Edit: Thanks for taking the time to respond, these threads become tiring as there are so many. But this issue in particular seems to have a wide range of views when using the search function, with no clear direction.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Apr 27, 15 13:17
Quote Reply