Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag)
Quote | Reply
I know you're only as old as the man/woman you're sleeping with but that aside, post your "well done" achievement that you are proud of AFTER turning the big 5 0.

Don't just be triathlon specific. Could be something more imaginative and funny. Just something you did post 50 that's worth bragging about.

Go
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just turned 50 in June...just being alive based on my health journey is amazing to me. I hope some of you old geezers will post some cool stuff, I am pumped about pushing the limits more now than ever!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first IM at 53. Boulder this Sunday will be my 6th. Turned 57 two weeks ago. Mr. Happy still gets happy and keeps my Mrs. happy! Yea! My daughter went to IMFLA with us last year and had an amazing time seeing and being part of her dad's life. She thinks I'm amazing. That feels really good, really touches me. Overall 50s have been great.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 http://www.athlinks.com/...&courseID=124942

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nicely done!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bhc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my 30s I ran a marathon in 4:07. I never really dedicated myself to getting faster until the last few years. At 51, I finally got my sub 4 with a 3:58. I'm 52 now and want to bring that time down even further. IMCHOO will be my 7th Ironman. I just bought a pair of shorts with a 32 waist. I've not worn that since my early 20s. At 50 I began my new career as a full time college professor and for the first time in a long time I love my job. Being young is overrated : )
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PR IM marathon at 50. (3.51)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chased two kids off my lawn the other day.
IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/261gqow.jpg[/IMG]

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way Ken, you beat Bill Showers! I had one or two of those overall wins in local races around here and they were quite satisfying as and AARP member,

But this was probably my best effort, my first big 1/2 race after my heart surgery, and on 7 yo 9 hours a week!

http://www.athlinks.com/...3&courseID=34187

Oh ya, pick male age 50-54 for the search of course.
Last edited by: monty: Jul 31, 14 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll bite on the front door thing. Been an OK-but-not-great cyclist for three decades but no history whatsoever of running or swimming, other than a couple of undertrained 5Ks at 9-10 min/mile pace and playing in the surf in the summer. Decided I needed a change, started swimming at age 58, decided I liked it, then took up running and didn't fall in love with it but made reasonably quick progress. Have worked really hard at the sport ever since. Now in my third season as a triathlete, have gone in 14 triathlons, all medium-sized local events, have won my AG 7 times and finally this year reached USAT all american status in the rankings. Have started to really flatten out on the improvement though and it looks like my weak running in particular will keep me from ever reaching the highest levels of my AG, but I can't complain.
Last edited by: tttiltheend: Jul 31, 14 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had open-heart surgery to get a mechanical aortic valve in December 2000 at age 47. Up to that point I had been an avid weightlifter/bodybuilder. Doc told me to cut back on the lifting, and encouraged me to do as much aerobic exercise as I could handle.

Started swimming, riding & running which eventually led to doing my first sprint triathlon in 2004 at age 50.

I missed 2010 with a torn Achilles, but since 2004 I've done 20+ sprint triathlons, along with four half marathons and numerous shorter road races. This year I've already done a HM, a 12K, a 4miler, 3 5K's, two sprint tri's and have two more sprints and an Oly on the schedule.

I turned 60 last year and still managed to set PR's in a couple of races. Aging up to M60-64 also helped me to make my first AG podium with a 2nd place finish.

I'm not terribly fast, but enjoy training and working to get better. As you get older you realize this stuff isn't going to last forever and you've got to give it your best shot while you still can.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2013, at 57, I finally broke the hour for a 40k. 58:08. This year, I went 57:33. So I rode under my age. For someone who was never a good athlete and who, at 42 weighed 242 with a 42 waist, this felt very good! 180 with a 32 waist now. Pretty pleased with that, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got younger after I turned 50. I'm 43 now :)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
In 2013, at 57, I finally broke the hour for a 40k. 58:08. This year, I went 57:33. So I rode under my age. For someone who was never a good athlete and who, at 42 weighed 242 with a 42 waist, this felt very good! 180 with a 32 waist now. Pretty pleased with that, too.

Awesome, this is one of my goals - to break one hour in an Oly bike. Since I have only been 50 for a month, I got to go for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 57, running the Lucky Half marathon, ran a 1:28:35 while pushing my 3 year old grand daughter in a stroller. Boy did folks have big eyes when I was flying by them.

Breaking 40 minutes for the first time during my last 3 Olympic triathlon races in the 10K

Passing 400 folks on the run portion of the IMLT with 3:52 marathon

Retiring at 52

Being Healthy!!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jul 31, 14 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently turned 50, and wife and I went through everything and we are both officially retiring in 9 years. That decision is a huge accomplishment!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Survived my 50's and am now into my early 60's.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your great or interesting over 50's achievement (front door brag) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
chased two kids off my lawn the other day.
IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/261gqow.jpg[/IMG]

I guess this is the difference of not being over 50, as at 47, I'm still getting chased off of lawns......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setting a goal for myself in my 2005 to be an Age Group National Champion.

Achieved that goal in 2012(M55-59). Twice.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just something you did post 50 that's worth bragging about.

At 50 years and 1 month (4 years ago) I was hit on the left hip, back, leg, and arm by a truck traveling >50mph... and I didn't break any bones.

I know you're only as old as the man/woman you're sleeping with

My wife is 35, so maybe I don't qualify?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53 year old.

I don't race anymore, so my goals and achievements these days are somewhat broader. I only ride now and one of my main goals is to always make it with the front/fast group on most rides that I go on.

I ride mostly with my club, but this goal of mine is easier said then done as the club has several national and provincial Masters champions and podium placers in the road race and the TT in it's ranks. These rides can be quite challenging.

In fact, on the weekly Thursday night "World Championships" ride a couple of weeks ago I had to turn myself totally inside-out to hang in with the group. If not for the massive effort of a good friend and some quick thinking on my part to get on his wheel at the right time, I may have been gone!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea for a thread. I'm always interested in what we aging athletes can still accomplish.

I did my first IM (only one to date) at 57, then ran my marathon PR at age 58. But I think my best marathon was Boston the year of the nor'easter, where I came within a couple of minutes of that PR time despite the headwinds. I'm now 65 and I just recently rode my fastest century time, as described in this thread. But I'm not done yet. I'll be retiring at the end of September, so now I can do some serious training. :)

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 28 so I'm not bragging about anything. But after hearing "getting older isn't all it's cracked up to be" day in and day out, I have to say this thread is very refreshing and makes me look forward to my 50's!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Ironman (Lake Placid), last weekend at age 53. Thank you for the well-timed thread!

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next