Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
IM Texas
Avg Power = 200
Avg Speed = 23.3
Time: ~4:49
Weight: ~165, 5’10

Setup: BMC TM01, Disc with 60m front, Rudy Wing helmet, Sleeved 2XU suit.

Will try to upload a pic later.

Curious if folks think this is decent speed for the watts? Feels like my position is decent, but wondering if there is room for improvement, or if it will only be marginal at this point. Haven’t been to a wind tunnel…

Your CDA is .24ish. Not bad, but definitely room for improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
New PB. Was just out to test the tri set-up.

1) 246 AVG, 259 NP
2) 25.57 MPH, 43.3 km/h
3) 1 hour on the Montreal F1 circuit
4) 71 kg, 190 cm
5) P5 1x, 82mm wheels w GP5000 TL tires
6) Didn't run my disc and trispoke and faster tires. Left 0.7 km/h on the table due to that. Hairpin was closed so I had 10 slow u-turns. Wasn't going for this until 30 mins in when I realized my time was good.

Edit: cockpit pics for littlefoot

Very nice setup!

I looked but I can’t find the Bike computer mount anywhere

Could you please let me know where you got it?

Is it for wahoo element bolt?

Thank you in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just a round mount with two brass inserts and screws you can find online for a buck.

I just made a thin back plate so that I can clamp a wide black rubber band behind it. I call it the bow-tie mount. Just hook the loops over the shifters and position where you want down the extensions. I did this because If I use the refill cap on the torpedo this has the benefit of being able to lift the unit out of the way for refilling. It wobbles a bit if I'm on the base bar, but it's held nicely between my wrists in aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
New PB. Was just out to test the tri set-up.

1) 246 AVG, 259 NP
2) 25.57 MPH, 43.3 km/h
3) 1 hour on the Montreal F1 circuit
4) 71 kg, 190 cm
5) P5 1x, 82mm wheels w GP5000 TL tires
6) Didn't run my disc and trispoke and faster tires. Left 0.7 km/h on the table due to that. Hairpin was closed so I had 10 slow u-turns. Wasn't going for this until 30 mins in when I realized my time was good.

Edit: cockpit pics for littlefoot

What are you using to hold the bottle between your arms? I desperately need something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100mm M5 hex bolts and nuts. One nut to hold the cage up against the head of the bolt. One nut above the bridge and one nut below the bridge to sandwich it tightly, as the long bolts are wobbly otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
IM Texas
Avg Power = 200
Avg Speed = 23.3
Time: ~4:49
Weight: ~165, 5’10

Setup: BMC TM01, Disc with 60m front, Rudy Wing helmet, Sleeved 2XU suit.

Will try to upload a pic later.

Curious if folks think this is decent speed for the watts? Feels like my position is decent, but wondering if there is room for improvement, or if it will only be marginal at this point. Haven’t been to a wind tunnel…

That’s a great speed- congrats. I’d certainly like to see a picture of your setup. On 200W, I average about 1 mph less than you and I only weigh 140 lbs, so I clearly have a lot to learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
It's just a round mount with two brass inserts and screws you can find online for a buck.

I just made a thin back plate so that I can clamp a wide black rubber band behind it. I call it the bow-tie mount. Just hook the loops over the shifters and position where you want down the extensions. I did this because If I use the refill cap on the torpedo this has the benefit of being able to lift the unit out of the way for refilling. It wobbles a bit if I'm on the base bar, but it's held nicely between my wrists in aero.

Awesome!

Thank you for the details

If you didn’t need the BTA, torpedo and BTS would you still use them because they tested faster for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. The answer is yes. Let me be fully transparent, I never tested anything. However, I'm a firm believer in common effin sense and lateral thinking. I have studied every single SAE paper that contains the word aerodynamic published before 2010, and then some. That was a lot of papers. And although road vehicles aerodynamics are not the same as cycling aerodynamics, they share a lot of similarities.

People who say things are individual just don't understand how one element interacts with another, or just don't want to tell you because it goes against their personal interest. Oftentimes, there is a very logical explanation why a result happens in a specific case.

Jumping off my soap box now :)
Last edited by: Runorama: Apr 29, 23 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General Smallwood Olympic
Time: 1:07.01
Distance: 24.9miles
Watts: 274
Height: 6’5
Weight: 200

Setup
Bedford custom TT
Enve SeS 4.5 front., Rolf disc
Conti GP tires
Smith TT helmet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
Great question. The answer is yes. Let me be fully transparent, I never tested anything. However, I'm a firm believer in common effin sense and lateral thinking. I have studied every single SAE paper that contains the word aerodynamic published before 2010, and then some. That was a lot of papers. And although road vehicles aerodynamics are not the same as cycling aerodynamics, they share a lot of similarities.

People who say things are individual just don't understand how one element interacts with another, or just don't want to tell you because it goes against their personal interest. Oftentimes, there is a very logical explanation why a result happens in a specific case.

Jumping off my soap box now :)

No no

Stay up there love the info

Thank you for being so helpful and open!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Levinbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levinbr wrote:
General Smallwood Olympic
Time: 1:07.01
Distance: 24.9miles
Watts: 274
Height: 6’5
Weight: 200

Setup
Bedford custom TT
Enve SeS 4.5 front., Rolf disc
Conti GP tires
Smith TT helmet

I know the course, live 20 miles from the park. That's pretty impressive considering there's some decent hills and false flat sections. The run is tough too. Great job.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to know whether my cda sucks,

1) 209/217NP
2) 21.5 mph, 2:36:xx
3) 56 miles, 70.3 st georges 2022
4) 155 lbs, 6'2"
5) look 576 aero, zipp 404, conti 5000 latex inner tubes
Last edited by: ThyTri: May 15, 23 2:40
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ThyTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're 6'14"...so 7'2?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [gunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunna wrote:
You're 6'14"...so 7'2?
6"2' sorry
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ThyTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThyTri wrote:
Curious to know whether my cda sucks,

1) 209/217NP
2) 21.5 mph, 2:36:xx
3) 56 miles, 70.3 st georges 2022
4) 155 lbs, 6'2"
5) look 576 aero, zipp 404, conti 5000 latex inner tubes

St-Georges is probably not the best course to rough estimate CDA by total time/average speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
moving into merckx racing....

1) Average watts = 272
2) Average speed in MPH = 24.5
3) Distance = 20k
4) Rider weight = 161lb Height = 6'0"
5) Describe bike and wheels = 19' trek madone karbon speed 60/88
6) Excuses: Time 30:03, could not see finish line as my shield fogged up 5 min into race, so had to slow down into the finish chute, goal was sub 30
7) couldnt get riding picture, but here is post ride pic. Its a shield made for sunny day... which was the predicted forecast, but heavy marine layer rolled in. other riders ripped their shields off at the start

came back for revenge.... how a difference 3 watts can make!!!
1) Average watts = 275
2) Average speed in MPH = 24.55
3) Distance = 20k
4) Rider weight = 161lb Height = 6'0"
5) Describe bike and wheels = 19' trek madone karbon speed 60/88
6) Excuses: None!!!! Time goal acheived, sub 30..... 29:57
7) as you can see I ride in the drops, for some reason I do not go faster riding the invisible aero bar style method... good, since its banned by UCI anyways
7)
Last edited by: synthetic: May 15, 23 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. 203W
2. 23.68mph (38.12 kph)
3. 50m TT
4. 58kgs (127 lbs)
5. P3, TriRig cockpit, FFWD deep section front and rear disc
6. None, nailed it. (Could lower front end a bit but set up in long course triathlon mode)

Last edited by: sst69: May 15, 23 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Gulf Coast 70.3 2023
1) 239 AP / 241 NP
2) 24.9 mph (2:14:00 Official Split)
3) 55.6 miles
4) 6'0" 155 lbs
5) Specialized Shiv Disc Tri with yoeleo 60/88mm wheels. Michelin Power Cup clincher tires w/ silca latex tubes at 90psi. Jakroo tri suit and giro aerohead.
6) Super fast course, about 25 miles was excellent roads and super flat. Had a few weird turn sections that slowed down the time a little. I swim slow so have a minor benefit of getting some draft as I fly by people. Had a guy shout as I passed "Damn dude you are aero as fuck" which helped raise the ego.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Had a guy shout as I passed "Damn dude you are aero as fuck" .

Your typical STer would have shouted, "WTF is that bottle on the seat tube" :-)

Did you estimate your CDA ?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oly
1) 200 AP / 204 NP
2) 22.2 mph
3) 28 miles
4) Weight of everything (me, bike pc, repair kit, bike and nutrition) 99kg
5) Speed Concept, Rim brake, Conti 5000 with silca latex tubes at 90psi, P-09 aero helmet, Castelli tri sleeves suit
6) Crappy country roads lol (I should have listen to silca calc and go lower)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: May 16, 23 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about this one from Frederik Funk at Challenge Samorin

1) 312 W
2) 29.3 mph (47.2 km/h)
3) 87.5 km
4) 75 kg
5) Cube Aerium C:68, Vision 3 spoke front wheel, Vision disc wheel
6) Fastest bike split

This translates to CdA=0.19, which is quite surprising.
Or else powermeter reading low...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro races, especially with high density of field, tend to have high speed and relatively big groups at very close to 12m, which both help a bit (even while riding at legal distances).

I certainly do notice a big difference riding alone or with a pack (in the order of 0.02 cda), and that's at 40km/h, not 45+

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, interesting to know. Riding in long groups and with media motorbikes as was the case is probably the reason for that low CdA value.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Tulsa

1) AP/NP: 152/163
2) Average speed in MPH: 21.0
3) Distance: 112 mi
4) Rider weight: 144lbs/65.3 kg
5) Describe bike and wheels: Diamondback Serios, 60mm front + wheelbuilder disk cover rear
6) Misc notes: fit and tested by Jim at Ero, aerocoach extensions/arm rests, bottle in jersey, official split was 5:21:08, moving time was 5:18:35

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you mind explain bottle in the jersey?
Quote Reply

Prev Next