Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that's awesome. Can you get wider tires? That would seem like a harsh ride. Still love my Gen 2 speed concept. Gonna ride it as long as I can.

"It ain't the shoes."
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunno — these wheels are soooo narrow. The lack of comfort is the only thing having me consider a new bike that I can run tubeless etc. this thing is fast but beats you up!

littlefoot wrote:
Man, that's awesome. Can you get wider tires? That would seem like a harsh ride. Still love my Gen 2 speed concept. Gonna ride it as long as I can.

"It ain't the shoes."
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your setup is fine. Mine isn't that different - I'm on a first generation Speed Concept 7. I used to ride it with an old H3 on the front, but switched it for a Flo because I wanted a ride less harsh and with less rolling resistance than the 20mm tires on the H3. But I'm still on an old school Renn disc (23mm Conti GP4000s), and I'm not convinced I'm giving up much. I go about 24.8mph on 218 watts or so, and I don't see many modern super bikes that are running that efficiently. If your body position is good, you can go plenty fast on that Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
1) Average Watts: 255 NP: 256
2) Average speed 25.1 MPH
3) 21 miles, 200ft elevation gain, 49:03
4) 150 lbs
5) Bike: Old Skool original P3SL, no idea how old
Wheels: Front Old Skool H3, Rear generic disc
Tires: GP4k 20mm F/R, 100 PSI w/ latex tubes
Helmet: Grio Aerohead
Kit: Generic Skinsuit
6) Steady pace, botched the couple of corners and turn, wind steady crosswind at 6mph. Convince me my setup works and that I don't need to get a new era bike??

What was the road condition/surface? Also, any fit pics?

Road surface can matter a lot in the 25mph range with respect to the CRR watts. I have a flat training route that I'm often slower on that a more rolling training route simply due to the flatter route road surface being pretty bad.

Your only up front gain with the new era bike will be 10w CRR by getting modern width wheels/tires on the setup. Otherwise, nothing unless you update the bike fit at the same time. Sometimes, older bikes actually afford cheaper fit updates than newer stuff (on a per dollar basis). Of course some newer superbikes do it all fit wise out of the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
4) 150 lbs
6) Steady pace, botched the couple of corners and turn, wind steady crosswind at 6mph. Convince me my setup works and that I don't need to get a new era bike??

Alot depends on weather and road conditions, but I suspect if you reverse engineer a CDA from there you will see
a) there is room for improvement
b) equipment is a small part of it.

What I mean is that if a person is doing TTs, and say has a CDA of 0.25, he probably has room for improvement with little equipment change. Especially when the equipment may be older but still top of the line for it's vintage.

You want to learn to test if getting aero improvements is important to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road surface is medium to poor with rocks to dodge. I’d love to run 23/25 on latex if possible. I’ve had a fit and will see if I can drum up a picture. The only other thing is the saddle and the chafing, still dialing that in. Thanks all for the great advice!

burnthesheep wrote:
mjdwyer23 wrote:
4) 150 lbs

What was the road condition/surface? Also, any fit pics?

Road surface can matter a lot in the 25mph range with respect to the CRR watts. I have a flat training route that I'm often slower on that a more rolling training route simply due to the flatter route road surface being pretty bad.

Your only up front gain with the new era bike will be 10w CRR by getting modern width wheels/tires on the setup. Otherwise, nothing unless you update the bike fit at the same time. Sometimes, older bikes actually afford cheaper fit updates than newer stuff (on a per dollar basis). Of course some newer superbikes do it all fit wise out of the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1) 244 (253 NP) Average watts
2) 24.7 Average speed in MPH
3) 12.3 miles Distance
4) 179 pounds Rider weight
5) Trek Speed Concept, Zipp 808 with disc cover on back wheel Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes - quite windy day as a cross wind. Used it when I could but one open spot caused me to come out of aero for a couple hundred yards. Not a hilly course at all with only 300 feet of elevation up and down. Reasonable pavement surface too.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder 70.3

1) 245 AP/252 NP
2) 26.3 mph
3) 55.7 miles
4) 152 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Jet black 6 front and disc rear. Michelin power TT tires and latex tubes. 68 PSI.
6) Boulder so 5k feet = lower watts but good speed.

Mark Saroni
Last edited by: Mark S: Aug 11, 22 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Boulder so 5k feet = lower watts but good speed." Was it a downhill course or point to point?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
"Boulder so 5k feet = lower watts but good speed." Was it a downhill course or point to point?

Elevation. Thin air.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I see. I didn't consider that.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice position. You look good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
Boulder 70.3

1) 245 AP/252 NP
2) 26.3 mph
3) 55.7 miles
4) 152 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Jet black 6 front and disc rear. Michelin power TT tires and latex tubes. 68 PSI.

Congratulations on the ride and clearly a nicely dialed setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found a pair of 26c Turbo Cottons in the garage. Is 26 too wide for my 2005 vintage H3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts...
197 (207NP)

2) Average speed in MPH

3) Distance
22.35miles

4) Rider weight
172lbs

5) Describe bike and wheels
2012 Scott CR1 (road bike), 700cX25 Corsa Speed G2 w/latex tubes, PD aerobars, DIY rear disc covers, ISM saddle on RedShift Dual Position post, BTA bottle, Favero Assioma Duo pedal power meters, Aerohead lid, Zoot Tri-Suit

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
2weeks post Covid negative - I'm hoping this is the prime reason for me not getting anywhere near my Trainerroad FTP of 241w on such a flat course (110' over 22mi flat). Still good enough for 21 of 167 on the bike though so...

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Not yet, but I'm hoping something pops up on the web from the this race and I'll edit to attach. Playing on my Kickr last night, I'm sure I can tuck head/neck into my shoulders more but would need to train it to not be uncomfortable. My aero clip-on position could also probably be repositioned to eliminate the 1.5-2 inches between my hands when tucked - although this may be another trained position as bringing my elbows together to help achieve this will probably pull on my shoulders more too.

Speaking of post Covid - my experience has been high heart rate for my output. Not so much that my "max" heart rate is higher than pre-Covid, but my performance at threshold is low. Like the bike example above: 197avg. bike watts when my pre-Covid FTP was 241 (power meters calibrated to each other). My running pace is a full minute per mile slower too. Ugg, so frustrating. Researching, this sounds fairly common (low output for RPE/HR).

I'm super open to input. THANKS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average Watts: 252 out/252 back
2) Average speed 42.5kph out/40.9 back. (26.4/25.4 mph). Tail wind/Hed wind as per chart below
3) 15km weekly TT, rolling hills
4) 180 lbs
5) Bike: 2017 Argon E117
Wheels: Front Hed Jet 6, rear disc cover on HED Ardennes
Tires: GP5k 23mm F 25mm R, 80 PSI w/ latex tubes
Kit: Castelli
6) First TT in three years. Power forgot to attend but that's what you get for spending 0 time near threshold all summer.

photo credit Robert D'Angelo.
This is about as low as the 60yo body wants to get, maybe need to get a bit longer

CDA of 0.223 calculated from onboard aerometer and confirmed with Chung method
Green is altitude. Red is virtual altitude calculated with Chung method with CDA 0.223. I resync the lines after the turn around

Overlaying more signals
Orange is "rolling CDA" around the white .223 average
Blue is the wind rolling around the white average wind for the lap (about 1kmh tail wind out, 1km head wind back)
Grey is power.
I can overlay other signal like yaw, speed.....about 50 or so of them (it can get crowded :-))

Last edited by: marcag: Aug 19, 22 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! What device is that? One of your own?
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 19, 22 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Nice! What device is that? One of your own?

My own, affectionately known as the Gizmo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
Boulder 70.3

1) 245 AP/252 NP
2) 26.3 mph
3) 55.7 miles
4) 152 lbs

What is the size of your tires?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are 25mm as stated on the sidewall but measure closer to 27/28m when mounted and inflated.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Kalmar Ironman

1) Average watts
170 AP, 178 NP
2) Average speed in MPH
20,8 MPH (33,5kph)
3) Distance
112 (180km)
4) Rider weight
165 lbs (75kg)
5) Describe bike and wheels
Planet X exocet 2 with 60mm front and rear disc. Scott road helmet and Castelli free tri suit
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
I felt very strong during the Ă–land part, (first 120km) but lost a lot of power and speed the last 60km. The road conditions aren't as good the last part and the lack of longer sessions in TT-position showed itself. Held 175w AP/34,4 kph (which was according to plan) the first 120km and then 161w/31,8kph the rest.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Different race same setup except the tri suit.

https://acprestation.se/
Last edited by: Cerpan: Aug 22, 22 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  1. Power: 315W AP, 319W NP - 4.8W/kg
  2. Average speed: 46.3km/h, 28.94mph
  3. Distance: 13.3km, 8.3mi
  4. Rider length-weight: 170cm, 5'6.5" - 66.3kg, 147.3lbs
  5. Bike: 2015 Trek Speed Concept 7.5, UCI illegal fork, bars and fin, Revolver Ergo Mono Aero arm cup, C-bear ceramic BB, Rotor Aldhu 24 with 54/38 aero chain ring, Favero Assioma Duo pedals, KMC X11-SL gold chain, SRAM PG1170 11-26 cassette, KCNC oversized pulley system, Flo 60/90 with EZDisc cover, 23mm GP5000 clinchers with Vittoria Latex tubes at 6.7-6.8bar/95-97PSI. Wearing Sockeloen UCI illegal height aero socks, Pearl Izumi Team Octane tight and short sleeved tri suit.
  6. Misc, something to whine about: No complaints, never managed to hold this much power for this duration in the TT position. A couple of months ago doing 2x10' at
    290-295W with 2' easy in between would completely blow up my quads so very happy I had such good legs. Perhaps a good sleeved skinsuit like the Nopinz Flow suit and a bit higher hands would still help with some gains, but according to best bike split
    I'm sub 0.19 CdA (0.1863) so..

Not a super fast course, bit of a Kermesse/typical Belgian crit course with 2 speed bumps on the longest straight:

1. Picture:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Copenhagen

1) Average watts 189 / 194 NP
2) Average speed in MPH 21.88
3) Distance 178.86 km (Wahoo, official IM course on race day)
4) Rider weight 68kg
5) Describe bike and wheels Cube Aerium C:68, 90mm front / disc rear / 25mm GP5000 tubeless
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: BTA tank, Chrono CX on downtube, 2 bidons BTS, 3d-printed tool box between aero bottle and seat tube
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. Maybe later
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great result

What CRR did you use in BBS ?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

I believe I just took the one from bicycle rolling resistance for these tires with 7 bar of pressure. I used 0,00309.
Quote Reply

Prev Next