Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
The NEW Ironman Canada course = 112.3 miles. 6 hours, 40 minutes, ave watts: 168, ave hr 126.

Placed in the top 10 overall, the top 5, the top 3......

Avg speed approx 16.8

Another watts/10 = avg speed
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Went to do a personal 40k. Will miss regionals for family stuff. I'm OK with the result. Pretty sure this would have broken an hour on the regionals course, it's pan flat with only 4 turns or so. I was sad to miss hitting 24mph. That was the goal. I've never paced a full 40k before.

This is a secluded "coliseum" lap, but the turn at the bottom of the hill kills your momentum and you lose time every lap braking/coasting that corner. To add to it, it always has pine straw and pine cones littering it to avoid.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4053953956/overview

1) 40k: 234 AP 238NP, best 10mi during ride: 240AP

2) 40k: 1:03:49 @ 23.5mph, best 10mi during ride: 23.9mph
3) 40k
4) 160lb
5) 2008 Felt DA, 1x 54 11-25, HED Jet 9+, HED disc, GP5000 latex 23/25 combo, wax chain, generic UK skinsuit, Poc Cerebel helmet
6) Tough to pace route. Each lap is about a mile. Each lap your momentum at the bottom of the hill is broken by a sharp off camber turn. You lose about 15sec of power to brake every lap in that spot. Then, the return up the hill on the end of the lap has you down to about 15mph for about 45 seconds. Power wise, I'll take it. Pacing an hour with freewheeling and a slow hill section every lap is tough to pull out ALL the aerobic power.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position:

I have a video of my position on here somewhere. A slightly less aggressive version of the Huub style positions.

Another watts/10 = MPH
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Went to do a personal 40k. Will miss regionals for family stuff. I'm OK with the result. Pretty sure this would have broken an hour on the regionals course, it's pan flat with only 4 turns or so. I was sad to miss hitting 24mph. That was the goal. I've never paced a full 40k before.

This is a secluded "coliseum" lap, but the turn at the bottom of the hill kills your momentum and you lose time every lap braking/coasting that corner. To add to it, it always has pine straw and pine cones littering it to avoid.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4053953956/overview

1) 40k: 234 AP 238NP, best 10mi during ride: 240AP

2) 40k: 1:03:49 @ 23.5mph, best 10mi during ride: 23.9mph
3) 40k
4) 160lb
5) 2008 Felt DA, 1x 54 11-25, HED Jet 9+, HED disc, GP5000 latex 23/25 combo, wax chain, generic UK skinsuit, Poc Cerebel helmet
6) Tough to pace route. Each lap is about a mile. Each lap your momentum at the bottom of the hill is broken by a sharp off camber turn. You lose about 15sec of power to brake every lap in that spot. Then, the return up the hill on the end of the lap has you down to about 15mph for about 45 seconds. Power wise, I'll take it. Pacing an hour with freewheeling and a slow hill section every lap is tough to pull out ALL the aerobic power.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position:

I have a video of my position on here somewhere. A slightly less aggressive version of the Huub style positions.

Another watts/10 = MPH

I have a newer reply in here on a newer setup on my 2018 Trinity.

Guess watt….275w and 27.5mph including the u-turn. Pun intended.

So that has to be a CRR and CdA improvement given the higher speed kept the watts mph. I did not own the Notio yet for that old run so dont have a baseline for it.

But right now 275w and 27.5 mph on a flat out/back with uturn is where I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny, I'm wondering if someone else has stumbled on to this ?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
That's funny, I'm wondering if someone else has stumbled on to this ?

Yes indeed thanks to your posts

I had the same thing at 230 watts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the recent Waco 70.3:

1. 202 W/204 NP
2. 20.7 MPH
3. 56 miles
4. 145 lbs.
5. Cervelo P-Series Di2, 51 Speedshop cockpit, HED Vanquish 6 front & AeroCoach Disc w. 25c GP5000's & latex tubes
6. Bumpy Waco 70.3 course with a head wind the last 20 miles, and a "safe" bike fit/position

Picture: https://i.imgur.com/lb2hXl7.jpg
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Nov 22, 21 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMAZ

1. 109/194
2. 16MPH
3. 112 miles
4. 205 lbs.
5. 2018 Argon E-119 TRI, Hed JET 6+ Wheels
6. Bumpy Chip Seal, 19MPH Headwind Beeline.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oilman Tri, Conroe, TX (70.3 distance race format)
1. 276 Watts
2. 24.7mph
3. 56.93mi (course was slightly long)
4. 168lbs
5. Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2 with stock PA-2 alloy wheel set

https://strava.app.link/gZqoayTKolb
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Oilman Tri, Conroe, TX (70.3 distance race format)
1. 276 Watts
2. 24.7mph
3. 56.93mi (course was slightly long)
4. 168lbs
5. Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2 with stock PA-2 alloy wheel set

https://strava.app.link/gZqoayTKolb

Damnit you broke the 10w/mph trend. Get more aero!

Otherwise good job

😔….there was 2500ft of elevation, that counts, right? Anyway, it was good for the OA win with. 4:19 time so I’ll take it. PLUS - it was the second ride on the trinity so I’ve still got some things to sort out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the o/a win!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMAZ

1. 142 AP / 151 NP (measured at dual crank)
2. 20.2 MPH
3. 112 miles
4. 225 lbs (all in self + bike/helmet/shoes + water/nutrition at start), body weight 195
5. 2016 Felt IA10, Tririg Alpha bars/Omega brakes, Flo 60/disc Al/carbon clinchers, Virklon one-piece Tri suit, cateye Aero helmet
6. Washboard roads and crazy headwind/tailwind on the Beeline…

Guess I have a decent CdA, calculated by BBS using my ride file as about 0.21, and Golden Cheetah’s Aerolab was also close at about 0.208, because this breaks from the 10w/mph idea. I had to burn a few matches powering through other athlete’s draft zones especially on the uphill to avoid any drafting, but still only 1.06 VI.

Last edited by: ia_triguy: Nov 24, 21 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ia_triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your body-only weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, edited to add body weight to the post (195 lbs). Wasn't able to lose the Covid-19-pounds to get back down to a race weight of 175, which would have helped.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Changpao [ In reply to ]
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Waco 70.3 too, although it was a pretty rough bike for me.

1. 188AP/197NP
2. 22.8 mph
3. 56 miles
4. 148lbs.
5. Cervelo P5-6, USE 30 deg j bend aerobar w/D2Z cups and 10deg wedge, Zipp 808FC/super9 disc w/25c GP5000's & latex tubes
6. SLF Motion Evo aero pulley system and ceramic BB. Ice friction chain. TriRig Styx skewers.
7. Made it 40 miles and then fell apart pretty bad, soon as the wind started to kick in
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Florida 70.3
7. pics below-- All suggestions for improvement in my fit or set-up are welcome. (Despite the first pic, I don't keep a bottle on the downtube except when I'm in the process of refilling the BTA.)

You have a ton of potential savings with your head position, helmet and elbows. A ton.

Do back of the napkin calculations of your CDA and you see you can realistically get significantly better.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Florida 70.3

1. average power: 190W
2. speed: 21.8 mph
3. distance: 56 miles
4. rider weight: 138 pounds
5. bike/ wheels: Cervelo P2, HED Jet 6+, CGP 5000, 23mm, latex tubes, 65 psi
6. miscellaneous: NP 201, decent course with one section of rough road and hills, 1,200 ft. total elevation gain, damn humid
7. pics below-- All suggestions for improvement in my fit or set-up are welcome. (Despite the first pic, I don't keep a bottle on the downtube except when I'm in the process of refilling the BTA.)

Your ap vs NP is a bit much for Florida. I live in a part of town some of my club TT's are 70 feet per mile elevation, so 700 feet for a 10mi TT. And I can get my ap and np within like 3 watts. Sometimes within one watt or on the money.

That could be a point for gains also getting the pacing better.

Next up, follow the suggestions of others on helmet and fit. Plenty to gain there with a nicer helmet, less stack, narrower arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprint tri from the fall.

1) AP 229, NP 241
2) 21.7mph
3) 13.81 miles, 668ft total ascent
4) 185 lbs the day before the race
5) Size XL Scott Plasma from ~2017 with stock alu rims
6) Misc - no excuses, this was only my second race on this bike and it felt awful. Still trying to figure out why I'm so slow, felt like I should have performed much better here given my training at the time.
7) No pictures of the fit on the bike at the time. I've since had a professional fit on the bike and bought some deeper carbon rims from a riding buddy. Looking forward to seeing how the fit translates to road riding once I can get outside a bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race was Flat sprint in Mid July. Just posting now as I was curious about my training vs racing setup.
1. 179 watts avg. Normalized 192
2. 22.2 mph
3. 14 miles
4. 175 pounds
5. Same bike, but used HED JET 6/9+ combo with continental 5k. No latex. Used Giro advantage 2 rather than aerohead. A little more pleased with my watts to speed ratio.
littlefoot wrote:
1) 242 watts
2) 22.7 mph
3) 8 miles
4) 178 pounds
5) Trek SC, FLO 30s front tire Conti 4k, rear continental 4 sport (I think), somewhat loose fitting jersey, Giro aerohead helmet. 2 bottle cages on down and seat tube. 1 bottle on down tube and one 1 BTA. I wanted to carry a spare bottle due to heat and humidity.
6) Local flat section where I live. About 8 miles. First 2.5 are rolling with good decent prior to the flat section.

I wanted to test my TT time as I have been preparing for a sprint tri in 2 weeks. I am going on a week vacation and wanted to do a hard ride today as I leave tomorrow morning. Going to focus on running this next week.

*I'd like some feedback on my watts and speed. I like to test with training setup (except for the helmet) so I can see more gains come race day. I have Conti 5k tires on Hed Jet 6/9 combo. Will wear a tighter race jersey (DeSoto skin cooler) on race day. The race will be a flat 16 miles and I'm hoping to hold similar speed for the race. Are my watts and speed pretty decent, or lots of room to improve?

I feel like I can improve my head position for race day. I was riding on rough shoulder and wanted to be on lookout for cars as I was trying to ride in road when I could. Much smoother there. I'll also be removing my 2 bottle cages and bottle and will only run BTA.

Currently my tubes are butyl. Not sure I want to try and swap out for latex as I don't think I can get the tires off! Haha. Those suckers are a tight freaking fit.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 Indian Wells - 8th AG + 70.3 Worlds slot!

1. 215W average/221W normalized.
2. 23.4mph
3. 55.8mi, 700ft. gain (according to Garmin)
4. ~160lbs
5. Cervelo P5D - Zipp rear disc and Enve 5.6 front wheel, both with 25mm GP5000TL's.

7th fastest bike split in my AG (2:22:24) and only 17 seconds back from top 5. Pretty hard effort and 95% in aero position, which created some low back issues on the run.
Last edited by: Tortuga497: Jan 6, 22 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tortuga497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krusnoman Duathlon (6k run + 28k bike +6k run)

1) 217 W
2) 19.2 mph
3) 17.3 miles
4) 150 lbs
5) Cannondale Slice (2016), Vision Metron 81 (tubular), Tires: Veloflex Pro Tour Race (23mm front, 25mm rear), Helmet: Abus Gamechanger
6) hilly course with +-400m (~1300ft), NP 230 W, VI=1,06, IF=0,96
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [marcrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMTX

1. average power: 172W
2. speed: 20.0 mph
3. distance: 112 miles
4. rider weight: 136 pounds
5. bike/ wheels: Cervelo P2, HED Jet 6+, Pirelli Pzero TT, 25 mm, latex tubes, 85 psi
6. miscellaneous: NP 178, soul-crushing wind, 1,200 ft. total elevation gain, hot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
IMTX

1. average power: 172W
2. speed: 20.0 mph
3. distance: 112 miles
4. rider weight: 136 pounds
5. bike/ wheels: Cervelo P2, HED Jet 6+, Pirelli Pzero TT, 25 mm, latex tubes, 85 psi
6. miscellaneous: NP 178, soul-crushing wind, 1,200 ft. total elevation gain, hot

Finally broke 60 min in 40k TT*!

1. average power: 258 (thought I needed 270+, still would like that number :))
2. speed 24.88
3. distance: 39.90km (yea just 100m short)
4. rider weight: 164
5. bike / wheels: 2012 felt b16, carbon speed 60/90 conti 4000, giro advantage 2 helmet with shield
6. misc: arm falls asleep after 40 min, think I need better ski bends and arm cups. i think my single piece tri suit helps alot too, but not UCI TT legal since shoulders need to be covered.

pic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is still a thing. I never thought I'd do this but here goes. I dont have any great pics of my position but can probably screen shot if someone willing to look/critique.

I assume if I get my watts up, I'd be faster. Not exactly sure how to do that. (more riding?, more sub threshold?, higher cadence?)

Steelhead 70.3

1. Average watts: 191 (NP 203)
2. Speed: 22.8
3. Distance: 56 miles
4. Weight: 170 lbs
5. Bike/wheels: Cervelo P2, Hed Jet 6+ with rear aerojacket, 25 mm Conti 5000, latex, 85-90 psi
6 Misc: 9-14 mph wind (head and cross mostly), 1500 ft gain, some rough roads and tight turns, cool temps, average cadence 82
Last edited by: curdog16: Jul 1, 22 10:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next