Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucks on missing your goal. But on the brightside your bike is looking killer with that front end.

burnthesheep wrote:

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 328 W
2) 29.9 MPH
3) 10 milies
4) 152 lbs
5 - Bike) Felt DA2, Pro Missile Evo bar, Zipp 900 rear (with Vittoria Pista 23mm at 90 psi), Zipp 808 front (Conti SuperSonic 23mm at 90 psi), Rotor INspider with aero crown, upgrades from PremierBike Chain, SLF Motion RD Cage/pulleys, Hawk Racing BB, TriRig skewers and front brake, and 60T 1x Pyramid Cycle Design chainring.
5.5 - Kit) NoPinz made to measure Timewarp suit, Giro AeroHead Ultimate, Specialized Sub-6 shoes.
6) I set out to break 20 minutes. Official race time was 20:04, the Strava segment says 19:54. First ride on my wife's TT bike after I broke the R2C shifter on my Shiv TT.
7) https://www.strava.com/.../2738554415671829688

[inline screenshot-http://www.strava.com-2020.09.14-11_52_41.png]
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Sep 14, 20 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
1) 328 W
2) 29.9 MPH
3) 10 milies
4) 152 lbs
5 - Bike) Felt DA2, Pro Missile Evo bar, Zipp 900 rear (with Vittoria Pista 23mm at 90 psi), Zipp 808 front (Conti SuperSonic 23mm at 90 psi), Rotor INspider with aero crown, upgrades from PremierBike Chain, SLF Motion RD Cage/pulleys, Hawk Racing BB, TriRig skewers and front brake, and 60T 1x Pyramid Cycle Design chainring.
5.5 - Kit) NoPinz made to measure Timewarp suit, Giro AeroHead Ultimate, Specialized Sub-6 shoes.
6) I set out to break 20 minutes. Official race time was 20:04, the Strava segment says 19:54. First ride on my wife's TT bike after I broke the R2C shifter on my Shiv TT.

Smokin, shot some kudos your way.

Is the pavement that good for that front tire pressure? I see you're 152lb and ran 90psi in a 23mm tire. Most anywhere around here when I weight about 157 or so I'm at 85psi on a 23.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40k TT on Zwift this past Sunday. My second Zwift race - they haven't been "public" races, but rather limited to members/trainees of the training group I'm in (100-200 competitors). It was my first 40k TT ever, and I was pretty nervous about it as I couldn't imagine holding threshold or near threshold for that long. It ended up not being as painful as I had imagined, which probably means I could/should have gone harder.

1) 231 W
2) 23.7 mph
3) 40 km
4) 157 lbs
5) 2018 Felt B14 - completely stock except for handlebars and aerobars, but nothing special about them (and probably doesn't matter at all for an indoor trainer race)
6) I have always been a bit ambivalent about Zwift as a training platform, but I have actually really enjoyed the 2 races I've done on it. I definitely would not have felt comfortable doing TT effort on "open" roads outside.
Last edited by: tanzbodeli: Sep 14, 20 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
1) 328 W

2) 29.9 MPH
3) 10 milies
4) 152 lbs

Smokin, shot some kudos your way.

Is the pavement that good for that front tire pressure? I see you're 152lb and ran 90psi in a 23mm tire. Most anywhere around here when I weight about 157 or so I'm at 85psi on a 23.

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the course record for my first attempt. I forgot the hurt but it felt good to be in the box again. I would like to officially go sub-20. I think with some more aero magic and fitness, I can do sub 19:30 next year. If you're in the mid-west, I'd give it a look. https://www.usafmarathon.com/blue-streak-time-trial/

The following is what the race director sent me when I asked "there's 0.8M on the backside of the flightline that is rougher. It's paved for sure but there's some patches that have ripped up. We typically drop cones in this section to help you navigate it. For what it's worth, I have raced on my road tires with no issues and many others have as well. Outside of that slightly rough section, the other 9 miles are butter smooth with many of the miles having been repaved in the past year." The eastern and northern sides of the box were smooth, the southern and most of the western legs, were average with typical freeze/thaw cracks, but relatively smooth. The rough 1 mile section had me hoping a couple times as I blasted through the cones but thankfully I didn't have any issues.
Also I didn't have a scientific approach to the pressure, I hadn't seen the rough patch since it's in a protected area of the base but I was a bit worried about the tires until I saw a few folks rolling around on Corsa Speeds.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous that you have what seems to be a bi-monthly TT series, on good roads no less

That's a rocking speed, too, though to be expected from a former pro :)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Sucks on missing your goal. But on the brightside your bike is looking killer with that front end.

burnthesheep wrote:

Thanks!

My back pocket excuse is the course. A hill and braking corner every mile for 25mi.

Good for the mind though. 40k is just different. Embrace the suck for an hour.

But that cockpit is awesome. Just pulls you in.

My current favorite “pr†is hitting 24.5mph on a 4mi loop by the house that is 80 feet per mile elevation gain. So, 320ft in 4mi. And 45mph downhill. Yeah, the hi rise arm cups help with that!

The ability is there, need to drive outta town for flats and hammer out a 10er or 40k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at using this course to do some aero testing with golden cheetah and their aero analyzer using the Chung method. It's a ~3.67 mile loop on the access road of i10 interstate. Pretty flat, smooth a U-Turn at each end that can be taken in aero or on the hoods with zero braking. Trainingpeaks says it 248 feet of elevation gain after the correction for the 90k I did. It was a strong effort alternating 10k at ~IM watts and 10k at ~70.3 watts. Not all out but definitely strong. I originally just wanted to ride a flattish course and then realized it was exactly what I had been looking for to do testing on but didn't think it before I went to ride. I uploaded the file into golden cheetah and think the data should be good. I just wasn't 100% careful with staying in aero the entire time or thinking about when reaching for food, etc. I'm going to go back out this weekend and do some equipment testing to see how well it works.

1) 231 AP/234 NP
2) 25.6 mph (2:11:32 split)
3) 90K/56 miles
4) 148
5) 2017 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. Fully loaded with front hydration system and two water bottles (about 100oz total). Also had saddlebag on the back and full pockets. Wheels were HED Jet Black 60 front and 80 rear. Silca latex tubes. Tire pressure of 62 front/63 rear. Just put in a Kogel ceramic bottom bracket and ceramic pulley wheels a week ago. Not oversized. Bike and chain were cleaned recently and chain was lubed with Rock n Roll Gold.
6) Main changes for an actual race will be removing one round bottle on the downtube to replace with aero bottle. Take off the saddlebag. Put on disc wheel. Use an aero helmet. Totally clean chain and then lube with UFO drip or something similar. Also would shave arms and take off gloves.
7) Strave ride-
https://www.strava.com/.../2740225325149091942

Mark Saroni
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
1) Average power: 272W, Normalized power: 278W. Inscyd test from June reported FTP at 296W (VLaMax 0.67 so have work to do on that end)
2) Average speed in kph/mph: 41.9kph/26.2mph
3) Distance in km/m: 28.4km/17.8mi
4) Rider weight in kg/lbs: 66.3kg/147-148lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept size S, long/low stem, Revolver mono arm rest, Elite bottle on downtube, Flo 60/90 carbon/alu, Favero Assioma Duo pedals, 165mm Shimano cranks, 54/38 Rotor aero front chainrings with a 11-26 SRAM cassette and KCNC oversized pulley, wearing Giro aerohead and high aero socks
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: 4 lap course, had to cross 2 bridges every lap (both of them about 3% incline and 300m long). Very windy and rain from lap 2 on. Paced it way too gently, could have gone another lap.. Lap 2 and 3 should have been quicker. Lap 4 would've been 42.5km/h average but lost 8" due to a student driver that stalled on a roundabout on the industrial property where we were doing the TT. Good thing it was just for fun between athletes coached by the same coach.

Lap 1: 41,9km/h 265W avg. HR 154BPM
Lap 2: 41,7km/h 267W avg. HR 159BPM
Lap 3: 42,1km/h 272W avg. HR 160BPM
Lap 4: 41,9km/h 282W avg. HR 162BPM

That is a pretty high VLaMax. Are you a cyclist primarily? I haven't been testing for long but even some of the untrained athletes or cyclists I've tested haven't been that high. Definitely none of the triathletes that primarily race Ironman/70.3

Mark Saroni
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started training all 3 sports at the end of 2016, I didn't have a background in any of them. I did competitive combat sports from when I was 6 until I was 18. I did my first 3' step test end of 2018, which started at 120W and went up 40W every 3'. My anaerobic threshold was determined to be around 265W but I managed to almost finish the 360W step so I'd say I'm quite anaerobic, always have been more of a sprinter type.

I almost never do intervals shorter than 5', and not on full rest so I'd say I don't do much that would stimulate this. But indeed it is high, I was told I'm similar to Sagan with regards to VLaMax.

Trying to lower my VLaMax now to unlock more of my "potential", low carb intake/sober rides at low intensity, more sweet sport work,.. So far my power at FatMax and Tempo HR have gone up 15-20W since May so that's already good :)
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Sep 14, 20 22:22
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense then. I have a guy with similar background in kickboxing. Very big anaerobic capacity. Difference is he doesn't train super consistently so it's not surprising that his is similar to you. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff and each year in the sport will help as you add layer after layer of aerobic conditioning. Keep up the steady work.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 227 Avg. 231 NP
2) Average speed in MPH: 25mph
3) Distance 24.8
4) Rider weight: 157lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels:
Canyon Speedmax CF, DT swiss ARC 1400(80R60F).
Tires: 25mm Attack on back 23MM GP4000sII front both had latex 93PSI.
Helmet: Rudy Wingspan,
Tririg Alpha One and Tririg front brake.
HUUB Anemoi+ Kit.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Cold ass day. Bear Lake Brawl, Idaho/Utah. Tailwind on the way out and headwind on the way back. Backed off on the way out knowing it was going to be shorter time and then planned on putting in more power on the way home into the headwind. Not sure it happened that way, lol. I wore gloves on the bike and that was clutch I could shift, saw some without and they mentioned it was tough. I am happy with the effort. I really don't have any comparison on fast or slow to other people just that for me that was a good bike split and ran well, for me, off the bike. Was so glad to be done so cold and windy!
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 176 Avg. 188 NP
2) Average speed in MPH: 20.9 mph
3) Distance 56 miles (1200' elevation gain for whole ride)
4) Rider weight: 140 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2011 cannondale slice, hed jet 6, vittoria corsa g+ 25c w/ latex, castelli all out suit, specialized evade helmet.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: part of a DIY race that, due to lake hours, had to start at noon. Bike ride started at 1pm, and it was 85-90 degrees. i think that heat sapped some energy from me, was really hoping to snag 21 or 21.5 on the speed but fell short. i don't shave and have decently hairy legs. maybe that costs me 5-10w. So that's my excuse lol.
7) No pic from the day but position and bike can be seen here: shameless plug for fit input...https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...)_P6775352/#p6775352
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win! "Cold ass day" is definitely an understatement. Did the half and have never been that cold on a bike. And the swim was really rough. But so grateful to be able to race this year, all in all it was really fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 341AP 342 NP
2) Average speed in KPH: 51.5
3) Distance: 10km (0:11:39)
4) Rider weight: 143 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2020 Specialized Shiv TT, Roval CLX64 & Roval 321 Disc, Specialized Turbo Cotton w/ Latex
6) Misc notes: Jakroo skinsuit is hot garbage. Have gone faster on same course on less power wearing better gear.
7) None.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
1) Average watts: 341AP 342 NP
2) Average speed in KPH: 51.5
3) Distance: 10km (0:11:39)
4) Rider weight: 143 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2020 Specialized Shiv TT, Roval CLX64 & Roval 321 Disc, Specialized Turbo Cotton w/ Latex
6) Misc notes: Jakroo skinsuit is hot garbage. Have gone faster on same course on less power wearing better gear.
7) None.

That comes out to be a CdA ~0.17x. I mean the Jakroo may be garbage, but that's still quite fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Crystal River FL Sprint Aquabike today:

1) Average watts 172, 173 NP
2) Average speed in MPH 22.5
3) Distance 15.1 miles
4) Rider weight 158 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2018 Trek SC, Bontrager 6xxx wheels, Conti 5000 25mm, Silca latex tubes, Kiwami kit, Giro Aerohead helmet.
6) Simple, flat, out and back with a sharp turn around, road surface is excellent. No wind today. Swam very hard prior - to good effect.
7) Pics to follow when they go online.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 250w AP, 255w NP
2) Average speed: 26.5mph, 42.6kph
3) Distance: 56mi (~2:08:01), 1230ft of climbing/descending, 80% great road condition, 20% crap
4) Rider weight: 168lbs, 76kg
5) Describe bike and wheels: Tririg Omni. Alpha one bars w/ 17.5 degrees tilt. Princeton Carbonworks Wake 6560 wheels w/ Michelin Power Time Trial tires (23mm front, 25mm rear) and Silca latex tubes. Velotec tri suit. Giro Aerohead. Giro Empire ACC w/ elastic laces.
6) Misc notes: Very windy course led to some wild yaw angles. Estimates for BBS are: 28.5% at 0 to +-5°, 42.5% at 5° to +-10°, 28.5% at 10° to +-15°. Rode in a pack of 4 for most of the race. Led as little as possible aside from 2 surges where I took the front. Wasn't going to be worth it to ride harder and try to break away alone. Looks like it was a low power day for everyone out there though. Very hot day put a big focus on hydration. BBS estimates a .2233 CdA in aero position with an average CdA of .2422 for the whole race.
7)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 30, 20 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 252w AP, 252w NP
2) Average speed: 25.6mph
3) Distance: 40k (25mi, not 24.89mi) @ 58:22, 250ft, each lap was 8mi, of that 8mi 5mi good pavement 3mi bumpy, air density 1.1874 so not fastest time of year but not winter yet
4) Rider weight: 158lbs, 72kg
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2008 Felt DA, HED Jet 9+ 23mm GP5000, HED disc 25mm GP5000, Silca latex, BP 3.3 suit, Poc Cerebel, Giro laceups no covers, 1x with 54t and 12-25
6) I simply could not keep my HR up and the power where I wanted it for the hour. This was a "just do it to say I could" kind of ride. I missed the regional TT race so just wanted to do SOMETHING. Just went out before lunch after a snack and rode it.

Freaking mail delivery person and hard stops at the intersections cost me some ticks on the clock.

I feel good finally breaking an hour for 40k. I knew I could. Now, just need to get the hour power more dialed. With 5 to 7bpm on the table the whole ride, that's easily 15w. Ughhh.

Pictures are on ST if you search for Felt DA and my username. Pic of bike is in the Strava post.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4133394585/
Last edited by: burnthesheep: Oct 8, 20 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 221
2) Average speed in MPH 24.6
3) Distance 17.5mi
4) Rider weight 160
5) Describe bike and wheels Premier tactical
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
Hadn't been on the TT bike in a while, so I did a quick out and back Sunday. light tail wind then head wind. Wanted to go harder but the back was not loving it. Gotta get back on the tt more.

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 313 avg, 315 NP
2. 27.9 mph
3. 56.9 (2:02:26)
4. 162 lbs
5. Scott Plasma, Zipp 808/Super-9 combo
6. Flat, double-looped course with little wind. It was pretty hot/humid, so I was constantly sweating and ended up not being able to keep up on electrolytes for the run.
7. Not sure how to upload pictures, but I need a fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FL Polytechnic TT Series #9

1) Average watts: 305W
2) Average speed in MPH: 26.5mph
3) Distance: 8 mi / 50ft gain | 18:09 - tied prior Merckx course record but finished 2nd by 7s on the day
4) Rider weight: 68kg

5) Describe bike and wheels: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1 w/Zipp 404 FC front, 303 FC rear; 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR 2.0 w/latex tubes, TriRig Styx, ENVE SES 40cm bars with griptape on the tops. 52/36 x 11/28 gearing. Velotec LS skinsuit + Kask aero road helmet. Kept the aero bottle on because it's still annoyingly hot in FL and the start queue was slow.

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Merckx rules, so 404 was the max depth permitted (I only own the front). No overshoes or TT-specific helmets permitted either. The course is quite flat with a few very mild rises and is essentially a hotdog loop with two wide U-turns at either end. The pavement is good for nearly all of it, and there's minimal traffic. It was breezy, but not overly windy.

It's my third shot at the course and first on the road bike after cracking the basebar on my P5 earlier this month (still need to fix). I spent the last week or so testing TT efforts on the road bike and was pleasantly surprised at how aero things were turning out on benchmark/known courses. I really struggle with pacing this specific event evenly. I generally go by feel, which consistently translates to a nice flat line at 180bpm HR, with an uptick towards the last couple of minutes as I empty the tank. As rough splits, 6mins at 330W to the first turn (at which point I've ramped to steady state HR), 9mins at 280W to the other end (the meat of the course -- still holding that HR/exertion) then 2.5mins at 340W as I get to the line. This is a pattern that has appeared every time so far.

I know I'm capable of averaging at least 10W higher over the whole effort. Thinking I may need to go out a bit easier, and then gun it for the end a bit sooner using the last turn as a brief respite instead of a starting point for the last push.

Aero socks may have closed most/all of the gap to the win, but mine haven't arrived yet, so stuck with bare legs as that's supposed to be fastest otherwise.

I did 17:58 with a fully TriRig'd P5 (w/ 808/Super9 + Aerohead) on the same watts back in July (and 17:48 w/overshoes in August) so clearly I have a lot of work to do refining the other TT position... thinking I got lucky with how well this last minute change to the road bike turned out. Goal was the CR and I (sort of) did that, so I'm happy and learned plenty for next time.

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: Photo from warmup, so sunglasses are dangling and I have yet to remove the saddlebag.

Last edited by: carbenfire: Oct 25, 20 22:05
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
56 mile race on Zwift as part of a 70.3 virtual race.

1) 187 W
2) 20.5 mph
3) 56 miles
4) 158 lbs
5) 2018 Felt B14 - completely stock except for handlebars and aerobars, but nothing special about them (and probably doesn't matter at all for an indoor trainer race)
6) I'm more of a "short course" triathlete and have only ridden 50+ miles twice ever before - both this summer and at an easy pace, so had no real expectations about my performance, but was relatively pleased with my results.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 274W (0.87 IF)
2) 26.98mph
3) 55.9 miles
4) 70kg
5) Boardman ATT custom build with Enve 8.9s. New Trimtex tri-suit since last time ;-)
6) Same course as my last post, near enough (net elevation gain this time). Weather conditions were good, albeit cold here in November (UK). This ride was part of a solo 70.3 'sub 4hr' project I was doing, so I held back quite a lot in order to run well. According to BBS my CdA was .21 which seems pretty accurate seeing as it's inline with what I found out through CFD. Ultimately I'd like to do a standalone 90km again soon and see if I can crack 2hrs (should only need about 300W) :-)

Last edited by: sbarley: Nov 14, 20 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did u make that model ? And what software for cfd did you use?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply

Prev Next