Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ben! Well spotted. I've been struggling with finding the right BTA for a while. Tried the Torpedo but couldn't get it narrow enough – hence the Hydroblade. I'm running a 150x-17 stem (which PD don't make), do you know if the faceplate will attach to other brands? Excited about this solution if it works as it looks pretty sweet, always thought it was limited to an Aeria stem and hadn't heard about the faceplate.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbarley wrote:
I'm running a 150x-17 stem
Oof! That does complicate things. I remember in a thread somewhere that technically the faceplate can only be used on a PD stem. Of course PD will say that but it would take a bunch of experimentation or some accurate measurements to know if it would work on anything else. I have seen some people that have modified a Tririg Alpha X stem/bar to fit the PD bottle so it's certainly possible to mod stems to fit the bottle but I'm guessing it would require some 3d printing and an aero shaped stem to begin with.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For kicks, giggles, and self loathing, I decided to do a 40K TT on my road bike this morning:

1) Average watts: 271
2) Average speed in MPH: 24.8
3) Distance: 24.8 miles
4) Rider weight: 155 lbs.
5) Describe bike and wheels: SystemSix with HED Vanquish 6s (25mm GP5KTLs) - see picture below
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: I hit some rumble strips approaching a construction zone in the last .10 mile or so, which scrubbed enough speed (and dropped my chain to the small chainring) to thwart my sub-hour goal. Total time = 1:00:00. The mustache and sideburns didn't help either. Or the water bottles. Or headlight. Etc.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: none exist

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 205/208NP
2) Average speed in MPH 24.5
3) Distance 21.5
4) Rider weight 158
5) Describe bike and wheels Premier tactical
6) Misc notes, Hadn't ridden the TT in a long time. Just for fun. no aero helmet. First time I've ever gotten all the lights on this out and back
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to test myself on 10ish mile TT that is out and back. I had a stress fracture in late April and prior to that I did the loop average 285 watts over 26 minutes so I wanted to see where I was at after recovering from the fracture and biking some to build up some fitness. The 285 effort was after a good solid block of training and did it with road helmet, training, wheels, and jersey/shorts. For both efforts I also did a 60 minute zone 2 ride prior to it.

This time it was this.

1) Average watts: 268
2) Average speed in MPH. 26.2
3) Distance. 10.74 miles. 10.75 miles
4) Rider weight. 157
5) Describe bike and wheels. Canyon Speedmax CF, DT Swiss Di 1400 wheels with Conti Attack/Force and Latex tubes. Tririg Alpha One front end with Omega X brake. Same gear setup as first attempt(road helmet, jersey/shorts.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero. Overall it is what I expected for wattage. I just didn't have the consistent training. A car passed me and then immediately turned in front of me so I can to come to almost a complete stop, probably affected time a bit, but one could also look at it as I can a 10 second break, lol. With a sleeved kit, aero helmet, shaving the gorilla hair off my legs and arms would make a difference as well. I live in a very rural area so I really have no frame of reference on if this is fast or not, but was cool to see that AERO is king over watts, lol. Hopefully put together a good training block later summer or over the winter and test again.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. (No picture, sorry)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was supposed to have my first 70.3 in quite a while this June, but COVID had it's way. Instead I did my own race dubbed the COVID 70.3 just to see where my fitness was.

1) Average watts: 215 (Strava est. probably useless)
2) Average speed in MPH: 23.5
3) Distance: 56.06 miles
4) Rider weight: 145.8 (weighed immediately before)
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2014 Trek Madone 6.5 H2 fit. Profile Design T3+ aluminum clip-on aerobars. HED Jet 6+ with Conti 5ks & random butyl tubes.
6) Misc notes: Rode a 1.2 mile loop 46 times. Had a hard right hand turn I had to make at the bottom of the hill and right before the "uphill" so I lost speed there every lap. No complaints though. The total elevation gain was like 1,200 feet.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. Don't have any good ones.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5905139
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 271 w
2) 28.0 mph
3) 15.5 mi (25 km, 33:12)
4) 135 lbs
5) Canyon Speedmax CF, Reynolds 60 mm / Conti GP TT front, 3T disk / Vittoria Corsa tubular rear
6) Out and back, mostly flat with 1.5 mi 2% "climb". Light breeze, mostly side-wind. Official race with closed roads, was able to ride head down almost 100%, glancing forward only few times a minute. Short-tail helmet could be better. Anyway Mywindsock CdA estimate is all-time best of 0.195.

7) No quality photos unfortunately, another frame from a zoomed video

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone wants to see what a mid-pack mountain bike rider does:

1) Average watts 144
2) Average speed in MPH 11 mph
3) Distance 13.4
4) Rider weight 143 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels Cannondale Scalpel-Si Carbon 3
6) Misc notes, no aero, one of the harder off road triathlons I've done
7) Optional: No Pics...sorry

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/5361985869

I was pretty taxed after this ride. There is a lot of uphill in the beginning, then some flow but after the climb I was trying to get my HR down into a reasonable range for me.

Even with an FTP of 210 I regularly get into the 300's so the VI is quite high at 1.17
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average power: 272W, Normalized power: 278W. Inscyd test from June reported FTP at 296W (VLaMax 0.67 so have work to do on that end)
2) Average speed in kph/mph: 41.9kph/26.2mph
3) Distance in km/m: 28.4km/17.8mi
4) Rider weight in kg/lbs: 66.3kg/147-148lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept size S, long/low stem, Revolver mono arm rest, Elite bottle on downtube, Flo 60/90 carbon/alu, Favero Assioma Duo pedals, 165mm Shimano cranks, 54/38 Rotor aero front chainrings with a 11-26 SRAM cassette and KCNC oversized pulley, wearing Giro aerohead and high aero socks
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: 4 lap course, had to cross 2 bridges every lap (both of them about 3% incline and 300m long). Very windy and rain from lap 2 on. Paced it way too gently, could have gone another lap.. Lap 2 and 3 should have been quicker. Lap 4 would've been 42.5km/h average but lost 8" due to a student driver that stalled on a roundabout on the industrial property where we were doing the TT. Good thing it was just for fun between athletes coached by the same coach.

Lap 1: 41,9km/h 265W avg. HR 154BPM
Lap 2: 41,7km/h 267W avg. HR 159BPM
Lap 3: 42,1km/h 272W avg. HR 160BPM
Lap 4: 41,9km/h 282W avg. HR 162BPM
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m feeling kinda self conscious to post these now after seeing the values you all are posting! Looks like 230 watts ought to be faster or my position isn’t so good

1) Average watts 230 / NP 242
2) Average speed in MPH 21.4
3) Distance 24.35 / 1350ft climbing, rolling hills
4) Rider weight 189lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Felt DA and zipp 808/HED jet 60 (it was a bit drizzly and I wanted an aluminum brake track)
6) Misc notes - course had a bunch of winding turns, but nothing to majorly break momentum. Most of the course was protected by big trees, minimal wind

Last edited by: odpaul7: Aug 25, 20 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odpaul7 wrote:
I’m feeling kinda self conscious to post these now after seeing the values you all are posting! Looks like 230 watts ought to be faster or my position isn’t so good

4) Rider weight 189lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Felt DA and zipp 808/HED jet 60 (it was a bit drizzly and I wanted an aluminum brake track)
6) Misc notes - course had a bunch of winding turns, but nothing to majorly break momentum. Most of the course was protected by big trees, minimal wind
That is a decent amount of climbing for a TT so that'll certainly scrub some speed, but I agree your speed seems a bit low based on that one picture. While there are a few gear choices that would likely provide instant improvements (helmet and sleeved kit), that wouldn't fully explain everything. What are you reading power from?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 221 / NP 226
2) Average speed in MPH 25.1
3) Distance 52.75 / 650ft climbing, almost flat with rolling hills
4) Rider weight 145lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight and Citec 8000cx Ultra 63mm front, 80mm back
6) Misc notes - pretty windy, good tarmack quality
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regional 10k TT race
1) Average watts: 391W (6,02W/kg = PB)
2) Average speed: 28.6mph / 46,0km/h
3) Distance: 10km
4) Rider weight: 143lbs / 65kg.
5) Describe bike and wheels: Cervélo P5D, Xentis Mark3 & Blade, Michelin Power TT 25mm, Bioracer TT suit, Giro Aerohead helmet, Castelli gloves & shoe covers
6) Misc notes: Out and back. Rolling hills, technical turns, 110m of elevation gain. Partly poor road surface.

Last edited by: JHeiro: Aug 31, 20 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [JHeiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JHeiro wrote:
Regional 10k TT race
1) Average watts: 391W (6,02W/kg = PB)
2) Average speed: 28.6mph / 46,0km/h
3) Distance: 10km
4) Rider weight: 143lbs / 65kg.
5) Describe bike and wheels: Cervélo P5D, Xentis Mark3 & Blade, Michelin Power TT 25mm, Bioracer TT suit, Giro Aerohead helmet, Castelli gloves & shoe covers
6) Misc notes: Out and back. Rolling hills, technical turns, 110m of elevation gain. Partly poor road surface.

That's an impressive amount of power, especially at that mass. I presume you won this thing, given how heavier riders would suffer even more?

Also, what region is this? Obviously in Europe (comma for decimal)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
That's an impressive amount of power, especially at that mass. I presume you won this thing, given how heavier riders would suffer even more?

Correct. South-Western Finland, city of Turku to be exact.
Won the race by 53s. Being a smallish rider and having good bike-handling skills are huge advantages on this course (I'm a cyclist, not a triathlete).
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [JHeiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JHeiro wrote:
echappist wrote:

Correct. South-Western Finland, city of Turku to be exact.
Won the race by 53s. Being a smallish rider and having good bike-handling skills are huge advantages on this course (I'm a cyclist, not a triathlete).

damn, that's a zinger :p

I'm a cyclist too (former road racer). Could never corner well on my TT bike though.

I'd imagine you'd have a pretty good shout at winning the Finnish national TT? Have to profess my ignorance re: Finnish cycling; only one I've heard of is Lotta Lepistö, and even then, I almost confused her with Lotte Kopecky.
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 31, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 172 / NP 179
2) Average speed 20.6 MPH
3) Distance 56.1 miles / 3018ft elevation gain
4) Rider weight 130lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept and HED Jet Black Plus, 60mm front & back
6) Misc notes - Course was a solo 70.3 time trial. All rolling hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
odpaul7 wrote:

4) Rider weight 189lbs

That is a decent amount of climbing for a TT so that'll certainly scrub some speed, but I agree your speed seems a bit low based on that one picture. While there are a few gear choices that would likely provide instant improvements (helmet and sleeved kit), that wouldn't fully explain everything. What are you reading power from?

I’m using favero Assioma (duo) pedals. There were only two spots I had to slow significantly—pulled a U at the turnaround and a sharp right after an 800m downhill. But I can’t think of much that’d slow me down significantly more

I don’t think my position is awful but it’s not nearly as slick as most of the fellas here!

Jheiro, solid work man that’s impressive. What was your length of effort? How do you do extended to 20/40k?

Last edited by: odpaul7: Aug 31, 20 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

damn, that's a zinger :p

I'm a cyclist too (former road racer). Could never corner well on my TT bike though.

I'd imagine you'd have a pretty good shout at winning the Finnish national TT? Have to profess my ignorance re: Finnish cycling; only one I've heard of is Lotta Lepistö, and even then, I almost confused her with Lotte Kopecky.

Thanks. The level of competition in Finland has actually improved in the last couple of years. My performance would probably be good for a Top-10 finish in the Nationals ITT, maybe even Top-5 if the course was hilly and technical. No chance of a podium finish though, as there are several young and strong Pro-Conti level guys around, and I'm no match for the as a 43-year-old veteran. I don't really race so much anymore and skipped the Nationals this year due to work commitments.

I can usually do 5,7-5,8W/kg on a 10k TT. Haven't really ridden any long TTs this year. Had one 25km in which I did 357W (5,46W/kg), and a 70k TT (on a road bike) with 327W (5,03W/kg).

There's one really promising young Finnish cyclist called Jaakko Hänninen, who's currently riding for AG2R La Mondiale. He'll be on their Vuelta squad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 269, NP = 270
2) Average speed 42.1 kph / 26.3 mph
3) Race distance 21.4 km, 4 laps of local car race circuit (mostly woody), with a 500m long section of 3 small hills in succession. Did have some wind impact on some straights.
4) Rider height 1.79m, weight 73 kg / 182 lbs
5) Cervelo P5-3 w Tririg Omegas, Tririg Alpha One, Aerocoach 1st gen Aeox 100/Disc with Vittoria Corsa Speeds 2.0, Nopinz suit, Aerocoach shoe covers, Giro Aerohead
6) Misc notes - 15W less than last year, felt slow. Almost missed my start time so couldn't even bring down the visor. The picture is snapped on the hills, so I'm looking forward at that time, on the straight sections tried turtling and looked lower, but that creates a gap between rear of the helmet and shoulders. Probably would need a different helmet, don't know which one as my head is pretty large so difficult to hide from the wind. CdA around 0.21, can't bring it down :(

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Last edited by: mrlobber: Sep 1, 20 2:38
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job. You mean 83 kg. I had to go back on the scale to verify if I didn't suddenly gain 10 kg ;-).

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Good job. You mean 83 kg. I had to go back on the scale to verify if I didn't suddenly gain 10 kg ;-).

Louis :-)

Sorry, no :) 73 kg, 162 lbs, did the wrong conversion to those weird units :p

Still doesn't help with CdA though :))

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) avg 233/234 NP
2) Avg 24.4 mph
3) 14.2 miles with 120 meters of altitude
4) 70 kg
5) Cervelo P3, 55/90 mm Rebel Carbon wheels with 25 mm GP 5000 with latex tubes
6) alot of corners 20x 90 degree turns And kinda windy
Last edited by: Buchreitz: Sep 2, 20 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Buchreitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The NEW Ironman Canada course = 112.3 miles. 6 hours, 40 minutes, ave watts: 168, ave hr 126.

Placed in the top 10 overall, the top 5, the top 3......

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to do a personal 40k. Will miss regionals for family stuff. I'm OK with the result. Pretty sure this would have broken an hour on the regionals course, it's pan flat with only 4 turns or so. I was sad to miss hitting 24mph. That was the goal. I've never paced a full 40k before.

This is a secluded "coliseum" lap, but the turn at the bottom of the hill kills your momentum and you lose time every lap braking/coasting that corner. To add to it, it always has pine straw and pine cones littering it to avoid.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4053953956/overview

1) 40k: 234 AP 238NP, best 10mi during ride: 240AP

2) 40k: 1:03:49 @ 23.5mph, best 10mi during ride: 23.9mph
3) 40k
4) 160lb
5) 2008 Felt DA, 1x 54 11-25, HED Jet 9+, HED disc, GP5000 latex 23/25 combo, wax chain, generic UK skinsuit, Poc Cerebel helmet
6) Tough to pace route. Each lap is about a mile. Each lap your momentum at the bottom of the hill is broken by a sharp off camber turn. You lose about 15sec of power to brake every lap in that spot. Then, the return up the hill on the end of the lap has you down to about 15mph for about 45 seconds. Power wise, I'll take it. Pacing an hour with freewheeling and a slow hill section every lap is tough to pull out ALL the aerobic power.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position:

I have a video of my position on here somewhere. A slightly less aggressive version of the Huub style positions.

Quote Reply

Prev Next