Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not 100% sure what my CDA is set at in Best Bike Split. My coach runs the sims for me since I don't have premium. I think when I had a free trial my CDA was around 0.32. I know I have positional gains to make for sure. I am not exactly the smallest or most flexible person. I've just been working on the engine since I started a couple years ago.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2019 Augusta 70.3, September 29th

1) Average watts

Strava Data: 261w (estimated).

I don’t have a power meter.

2) Average speed in MPH

Strava: 22.64mph

Race: 22.64mph

3) Distance

Strava: 55.72mi

Race: 56mi

4) Rider weight

185lbs

5) Describe bike and wheels

2006 Trek Madone 5.0 with clip on Profile Design aerobars. Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS wheelset. GP5000 tires 700c x 25, butyl tubes.

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero

Race time: 2:28:11

Total 70.3 : 4:48:40

Did a taper week leading to race with not much activity. Week before taper mileage was 500mi at 21.2mph. Week prior to that was 400mi at 21.0mph.

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

This was the most aero pic I had from the photographers. I get lower and more aero at certain points. Also, a picture of the bike.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Oct 1, 19 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 203, NP - 216
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.6 mph
3) Distance - 28 mi
4) Rider weight - 179 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Specialized Shiv, Flo 90 front, Flo disc rear
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - Pretty good ride for me but they didn’t have the aid station set up at mi 14 like they said. Took too many calories and run suffered.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Nice result!

Congrats on the PR

If you don’t mind me asking what sort of workouts were those 400 week and 500weeks?

What about swim workouts?

Run?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Nice result!

Congrats on the PR

If you don’t mind me asking what sort of workouts were those 400 week and 500weeks?

What about swim workouts?

Run?

Thanks!

For the 500mi week I did about 14 bike sessions twice per day with a goal of averaging 35.7mi and 21.0mph.

https://www.strava.com/...es&year_offset=0

The 400mi week was similar. I didn't really run train much and hadn't swam at all since Boulder 140.6 on June 9. Maybe I swam once shortly after that, but it has been a few months. I think I can get down to below 4:30 with mainly cycling training. I'm a natural swimmer and runner. I am working on my run more now though as I have come to enjoy running again and have no injuries.

My main course on the 400mi and 500mi weeks had a U turn every 2mi - if it was more of a circle I would have been faster. I did lots of repeats there as it is moderately safe day and night.

The most run oriented thing I do at times is intervals on the treadmill. Usually 10x at 11.4mph 30 sec on off, 2.5 grade. I did an increased amount of run training up to the 5th Avenue mile in early Sept, but only got a 5:30 mile there this year. Last year I got a 5:19 mile on 5th Avenue, but only 5:59 at Augusta. So I've become a better triathlete, but didn't fare as well on the 1mi. I only have 167mi logged as outdoor miles on Strava this year, which includes 53mi in race miles (Haines City 70.3, Boulder 140.6, 5th Ave mile, and Augusta 70.3)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Oct 1, 19 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Cascais, Portugal.
1) Average watts - 209W
2) Average speed - 23.4 mph
3) 56 miles
4) 83 kg
5) Giant Trinity Pro Zipp 808 front, Zipp Super 9 Disc rear.
6) Excuses - 40kph wind, gusting 60kph, raced a 70.3 7 days prior (IM 70.3 Weymouth)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you're not small and you're right that there is a lot of gains to be had there.

First, flexibility helps, but it is not a limiter outside of maybe from a vision standpoint (which is uber important). You look like you'd get some serious gains merely by rotating around a bit. Right now you're basically in an okay road bike position.

What saddle are you running?

How tall are you?

What size frame is that?

I would shoot some good video and start a critique my fit thread. Like Ben said, "great power!" If you were to pair that with some easy aero gains, then you could see a serious increase in avg speed or maintain what you have but expend less energy doing it.

TriRugby wrote:
I am not 100% sure what my CDA is set at in Best Bike Split. My coach runs the sims for me since I don't have premium. I think when I had a free trial my CDA was around 0.32. I know I have positional gains to make for sure. I am not exactly the smallest or most flexible person. I've just been working on the engine since I started a couple years ago.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 2, 19 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Almere 70.3.
1) Average watts - 196/200 AP/NP
2) Average speed - 35.1 kph /21.8 mph
3) 92 km / 57 miles
4) 79 kg / 174 lbs
5) Cervelo P2, GP4000S, some chinese wheels it came with when I bought it
6) Excuses - favourable wind conditions, smooth roads: no excuses
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1) Average watts - 160/172NP
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.1mph
3) Distance 56mi, Augusta 70.3
4) Rider weight 160lb
5) Describe bike and wheels - Premier Tactical

I can’t really complain. I’ll probably try and get a bike fit over the winter and see if I can improve position since I haven’t done that yet. But this is my first 70.3 in 16 months and 13 months from being run over. I was really happy with how everything went

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harvest Moon Duathlon

1) AP 241 - NP 244
2) Average speed in MPH - 26.3 mph
3) Distance - 53.7 mi
4) Rider weight - 147 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Orbea Ordu OMP, 3T Ventus II bar, Reynolds Aero 65/Roval 321 disc, Conti 5k 23mm front, Conti SS 23mm rear, latex tubes, 1x 56t:11-32 gearing, Giro Aerohead helmet, Bioracer trisuit
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - Great race for me. Racing at 5500’ altitude makes the speed a bit easier. Still had a good half marathon run off the bike, so pacing seemed to be pretty spot on.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a sprint triathlon this past weekend. Weather was in the 70's and no wind. The course was flat with good concrete, two loops.

1) 161W average; 165W normalized
2) Average speed: 23.6 MPH
3) 13.2 miles
4) I weigh around 135 lbs; 5'8"
5) Trek Speed Concept, HED Jet 6+ front wheel; Flo disc in the rear. Conti GP5K tires with latex tubes. Giro Aerohead helmet.
6) I'm no powerhouse but managed a good speed / power output. However, must confess that I utilized a rider in front of me going around the same pace for maybe 1/3 of the race. Legal drafting distance was 3 bike lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trifest for MS - Bentonville, AR
1) Don't have a watts meter, but I love playing along
2) 23.3 mph
3) 15.8 miles
4) 170 lbs
5) 2006 Kestrel Talon, HED Trispoke front, HED disk rear
6) This was a pretty good data point. It was a three loop course that had a lot of winding and curved roads but the hills were gradual and short.
7) Here is the photo my wife got of me. Notice, I am smiling.

P.S. Nice race kit TriRugby. You must be BSC.
Last edited by: curtish26: Oct 22, 19 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 168 AP, 181 NP
2) 22.4 mph
3) 58.78 miles (IMNC 70.3)
4) 178 lbs
5) Specialized Shiv, Flo 90 front, Flo disc rear

Team Zoot
Last edited by: jeepguy2358: Oct 22, 19 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM AZ 70.3

1) Average watts: 208 AP/ 213 NP
2) Average speed in MPH: 23.8 mph
3) Distance: 56.04
4) Rider weight: 133
5) Describe bike and wheels: QR PRSIX/QR 50MM wheels/Aero Jacket/Corsa Speed G+ tubular/Latex tubes
6) Great race for me - 1st AG 25-20, 3rd overall - fastest AG bike, would love to get in a wind tunnel to tweak my position a bit - anyone want to critique the position? open to feedback!

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [georgevhoffmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [georgevhoffmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig front brake and while some other helmets would likely be faster, hard to know without the wind tunnel lime you said. Start with the brake though! Easy savings and super convenient to work with as well!

Seems like you're doing a lot right with that power to speed ratio though! Nice work.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Oct 23, 19 19:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train indoor a lot with zwift, i own only TT bikes for outdoor rids so (and for other reasons) i only use TT bike on Zwift. I always see huge avg speed in my rides os i 've always thought tht zwift is a little bit too generous with speed.

I know that when i'm outside i don't have an extreme aeroposition (i ony rce in 70.3 and IM) and mine is not a 10.000$ bike but it always seem to me that zwift speed is not 'real'.

Yesterday i ve zwifted for 3hours in a flat route:

221 avgPower (226 NP)
38.5 KMH avg Speed

when i ride outdoor with my TT i'm pretty sure that i can't go over 37kmh with that power.

sometimes in this thread i see avg speed like yours and zwift speeds become more realistic.

For the ones who zwift: do u think zwift speed is too high compared to real life speed for the same power ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't change anything other than maybe your lid. As Ben said above, it's tough to know without testing which might be best and then you further muddy those waters by the speeds/yaw you might see on race day. That being said, the Aerohead is your best roll of the dice as your going to get without testing.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, it so depends. I'd roll close to 27mph at that number on a flat course with moderate wind. Others will be faster still, but then you'll have some that will be much slower.

Fab4mas wrote:
221 avgPower (226 NP)
38.5 KMH avg Speed

For the ones who zwift: do u think zwift speed is too high compared to real life speed for the same power ?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georgevhoffmann wrote:
IM AZ 70.3
1) Average watts: 208 AP/ 213 NP
2) Average speed in MPH: 23.8 mph
3) Distance: 56.04
4) Rider weight: 133

What shoes are those? They look nice. Your position looks really good and I think that is good power for someone your size and likely short history with cycling. There's probably a half dozen small things you can do that will each net zero to three watts (helmet, brake, etc.), but seems like you have the most important stuff covered. Congrats on a nice race.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

TriRig front brake and while some other helmets would likely be faster, hard to know without the wind tunnel lime you said. Start with the brake though! Easy savings and super convenient to work with as well!

Seems like you're doing a lot right with that power to speed ratio though! Nice work.

LAI wrote:

I wouldn't change anything other than maybe your lid. As Ben said above, it's tough to know without testing which might be best and then you further muddy those waters by the speeds/yaw you might see on race day. That being said, the Aerohead is your best roll of the dice as your going to get without testing.

ericlambi wrote:

What shoes are those? They look nice. Your position looks really good and I think that is good power for someone your size and likely short history with cycling. There's probably a half dozen small things you can do that will each net zero to three watts (helmet, brake, etc.), but seems like you have the most important stuff covered. Congrats on a nice race.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Will definitely be adding the Trigrig front brake, Tririg skewers, testing some other helmets, and possibly adding a lower friction chain. Hoping to save 10-15 watts. And of course, I'll be working to upgrade my engine :).

The shoes are the Fizik Men's Transiro Powerstrap R4s - which I have loved so far!
Last edited by: georgevhoffmann: Oct 28, 19 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually is not a lot windy in my country...and i usually ride in something like a very big loop (so the wind help is usually balanced).

so the numbers i've posted are pretty free from external factors (i also have good street so i'm in aero position for about 99% of total ride time, no traffic light, no jams, no traffic).

but 220 for 43 kmh (27 mph) seems impossible without tail wind...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy does over 27mph on 220:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6627687#p6627687

And my last Time Trial was 26.56 on less than 220:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7009116#p7009116

Now, I'm not sure about Grill's effort, but mine was on a circular course that has crosswinds, headwind, and tail. I also have a few more links if you like, but the reality is that some people are pretty slippery and while I possess a low CdA there are quite a few other folks out there that make my numbers look pedestrian. Grill is just one example.

Fab4mas wrote:

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 28, 19 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

LAI wrote:
This guy does over 27mph on 220:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6627687#p6627687

And my last Time Trial was 26.56 on less than 220:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7009116#p7009116

Now, I'm not sure about Grill's effort, but mine was on a circular course that has crosswinds, headwind, and tail. I also have a few more links if you like, but the reality is that some people are pretty slippery and while I possess a low CdA there are quite a few other folks out there that make my numbers look pedestrian. Grill is just one example.

Fab4mas wrote:

cool. i'm pretty sure my position on bike is not so good....but for IM and 70.3 i can't be too extreme.

i'm also 70 kg but i suppose that there are a lot of little things i can improve.

But i do'nt think anymore that zwift is wrong with its speeds...it only consider a very well positioned rider .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything in this topic without a Strava link to the data isn't super helpful, unless you paste over some of the data.

Actually, at least 1/2 of the posts in this topic are worthless without more data. If you don't post a course profile or a total elevation, or something..........or a map or give us something to go on.................then knowing xxx watts and xxmph on certain equipment is worthless.

It's not to claim the poster didn't do it. It's just to say that's the data you need to make any kind of helpful assertions about the ride.

I get having a topic where people can "play ball", but it's not helpful to see things like: 220, 28mph, 40k TT.............well..........ok. Elevation? Route? Wind? Point 2 point or loop?

Sure, there's British TT guys doing 30mph on sub-300w. But, it's on dual carriageways with cars wind passing by on way way way non-UCI legal positions. Like not even close. Or sometimes point to point.

I thought the idea was to have good conversation about things that worked out and things that didn't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next