Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments and experience here. I definitely think there is room to play with running lower pressures. For now I've just stuck with the recommended tubed pressure based on various online sources (Aerocoach, Zipp, etc.), but do agree I could go lower. I ended up finishing a road race at about 35 psi a while back after flatting, losing air, and then getting a seal. While noticeable, it was still completely usable which definitely sold me on tubeless for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pretty slippery! What was your tire pressure? We are almost the exact same height and weight (5'9 and 150) and I rode 23.9(Garmin) at 230AP/236NP. I like to think that I'm in a good position with a good setup, but that's very fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 218
2) Average speed in MPH: 21.0
3) Distance: 12.4 miles
4) Rider weight: 196 lbs (5'11")
5) Describe bike and wheels: Orbea Ordu OME, 30mm deep alloy wheels w/bladed spokes, 2nd gen Conti Force (24c) tires front and rear, latex tubes, Profile Design Aeria Alloy cockpit, standard (non-aero) -17* stem, mechanical 2x drivetrain, 105 brakes, brake and derailleur cables in the wind, no bottle.
6) Misc Notes: Regular shorts and (snug) jersey, Giro Advantage helmet, short socks, hairy legs. Position exactly as refined as you'd expect from an overweight cycling dabbler with a power/weight ratio of ~2.5 watts/kilo. Out and back course with 180* turnaround, mostly a cross wind both ways, 118' of elevation gained/lost. Strava, Garmin, and Trainer Road all disagree on Normalized/Weighted Power (217, 220, & 232 respectively...which leaves me wondering how Strava came up with an NP that's lower than Ave Power).

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Nationals Oly

1) 259AP 272 NP
2) 25.9 MPH - 57:35 split (results)
3) 24.3 Miles (late start on garmin)
4) 5'8" 160lbs
5) 54 cm Felt B14, Flo 60/90 aluminum/carbon. clincher Conti GP5000 25mm, 90 PSI latex tubes. Tririg front brake and torpedo bottle, rest of the bike is stock. LG sleeved suit and P-09 helmet w/ visor.
6) Its been 5 years and 100w of FTP gained since I've been fitted, so I'm sure I'm due for a better position. Not nearly as low as most of these folks in front.
Last edited by: ADabs: Aug 13, 19 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 72 psi on the Jet+ front and 90 psi on the rear Zipp Clincher Disc (2006 or 07). I ran a similar set up through Best Bike Split a few years ago and came out to and average .220 for two races.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
72psi?? Were yours latex? I ran 100 on latex at AGs. Am I missing something? I was on canyon speedmax with two tririg omega brakes. HED jet+ disc and a 404 in front. You have a pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes running latex.

I went off of this chart for my new Jet+ front, using a 5000 in 23: https://store.hedcycling.com/tire-pressure/
The wider rims allow greater air volume thus the lower pressures. As an old style disc my disc is considerable more narrow so I am running more pressure, thus at 90 psi (Conti 5000 25) . I believe your Jet+disc has a maximum pressure of 90 psi (80 with tubeless). See that same page. I believe my wheels came with something warning of the 90 psi max. I don't know about the max for the 404 but if its Firecrest or later I think it is a 25mm external rim width just like the Jet+.

This was my first race on the Jet+, I was previously running a pre-firecrest 808 front at 100 psi. It is similar width as the disc, from the same era. I was running a Conti Supersonic 20 on that wheel where aero is at more of a premium on the the front wheel. I was 59:27 last year on the same course (it was a slower day across the board for my AG last year) using the Supersonic 20 on the 808 and Grand Prix TT 23 on the disc (closer to 100 psi).
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Atlantic City Olympic Distance Triathlon

1) 212 Average ~ 222 Normalized
2) 22.7 mph
3) 22.7 Miles
4) 5'11" 172 lbs
5) Parlee TTiR (non disc); Giant SLR tubeless; one piece sleeved tri suit; Rudy Boost 01 helmet

The pic isn't from AC, but nothing has changed since June
Last edited by: bulldog15: Aug 13, 19 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age Graded Virginia State Championships

1) 219/220 (AP/NP)
2) 26.5 mph
3) 21 miles
4) 5'6" 137lbs
5) 2011 Felt Da, OG Bonty D3 90mm & 321 disc running Corsa Speed 23 @80psi (latex tubes on both), NoPinz Speed Suit, POC Cerebel, Velotoze shoe covers and NoPinz Trip socks (more info on position/equipment https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6870513#p6870513)

Pretty happy with the effort as it was my best time on this course and while I knew that I wouldn't be at my best due to losing almost the entire month of June to an illness, I was still disappointed to walk away with bronze. Nevertheless, I dig the speed to power ratio I have going and just need to get the watts back up.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good gawd man, put on some damn cloth :p

jest aside, well done

jeffp wrote:
jeffp wrote:
19k TT

11.7x miles
23:39
29.8mph
335w
167lbs

p3/aduro/h3/jet+disk/conti ss's/aerohead

went out too hot while trying to dial it back(357 first 5 min including start) probably should not have SUP'd for an hour and hiked for 2 hours at devils lake yesterday.

tailwind out-downhill/headwind-uphill return(I hate that) 32mph/27.9mph didn't think I would break 24 today due to wind but it worked out(PR for that course for me by 23sec

I did this one again today, just over 11 months since heart surgery. Legs are severely undertrained. first attempt at going fast in 14 months and it was not successful....new normal. aduro was replaced by enve set up, rest was same
11.7x miles
26:05
27.2mph
254w
171lbs

apparently 285w was way too hot to start and power faded entire ride.
I hate my spec sub 6 shoes(44 and black:) and will have to sell them as they are canted the wrong way and I cannot wedge them enough to stop feet from going to sleep in 10 min time., and obvious 80 power frop
great weather and conditions

well done

LAI wrote:
Age Graded Virginia State Championships

1) 219/220 (AP/NP)
2) 26.5 mph
3) 21 miles
4) 5'6" 137lbs
5) 2011 Felt Da, OG Bonty D3 90mm & 321 disc running Corsa Speed 23 @80psi (latex tubes on both), NoPinz Speed Suit, POC Cerebel, Velotoze shoe covers and NoPinz Trip socks (more info on position/equipment https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6870513#p6870513)

Pretty happy with the effort as it was my best time on this course and while I knew that I wouldn't be at my best due to losing almost the entire month of June to an illness, I was still disappointed to walk away with bronze. Nevertheless, I dig the speed to power ratio I have going and just need to get the watts back up.

damn, that's slippery
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 14, 19 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
good gawd man, put on some damn cloth :p

jest aside, well done

Leave the pool and ride the trainer in my speedo. Be lucky you didn't see the rest. ;)
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 14, 19 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Weekend and another race (last of the season)

1. 209/209 (AP/NP)
2. 26.56mph
3. 40K (56:03)
4. 5'6" 137 lbs
5. 2011 Felt Da, OG Bonty D3 90mm & 321 disc running Corsa Speed 23 @80psi (latex tubes on both), NoPinz Speed Suit, POC Cerebel, Velotoze shoe covers and NoPinz Trip socks (more info on position/equipment https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6870513#p6870513)
6. Power was not what I was hoping for (missed my target by ~6 watts), but speed was more than acceptable.
7. Photo courtesy of Ted Morgan Photography

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. 182ap / 193np
2. 20.5mph
3. 22.7 miles
4. 5'6" / 125
5. Guru CR 401 / 2 piece castelli tri gear /bontrager xxx aero wave cell helmet / bontrager aelous comp wheels / 1 water bottle in handlebars

This was a literal first triathlon and first time racing a tt / tri bike. No photo of position. I felt like a left a lot on the table in terms of position / set up. Did I? If so, where is the low hanging fruit and how much of it is out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [2tri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that was your first Tri by far the low hanging fruit is experience and training. I knocked 3:40 off my time (31k course) the second time I did it a month later on the same bike. But yes, at your weight and power output I'm guessing you have room to improve. How did you stack up against the field?

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
188/59x (73 run / 12 swim). I don’t feel like I rode to the same level as the other legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [2tri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 210w Avg, 218w NP
2) 36,5km/h 22,7mph
3) 180km Ironman Sweden
4) 97kg 214lbs, 190cm
5) 2018 Canyon Speedmax CF, Unaas 80 team wheels, conti force/attack, conti race light tubes,
6) very windy conditions with lots of headwind, tailwind and crosswinds. Nice asphalt. My first full IM and very happy with the speed but i should/could push a lot more power, my FTP is above 330...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [carrag340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 344 AP
2) 29.2 mph (50:57)
3) 24.8 miles
4) 71 kg
5) 2014 Trek SC , Hed 3 / Hed Jet Plus Disc, Corsa Speed
6) Finished first two years after finishing last. ~2:20 faster this year. Went out too hard. 20 watts lower for the second half into mostly headwind. Road bike power hasnt changed in the last few years, but Im closer to road power on the tt bike after getting fit at acme. The power meter from two years back reads very high. I've switched back to the Selector over the Aerohead. Picture is close to current race position.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [carrag340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Calgary

1) Average watts 248w, NP 250w
2) Average speed 40.9km/h
3) Distance 87km. Short course.
4) Rider weight 169lbs / 77kg, 5'11.
5) 2014 Argon-18 e-116, Roka tri-suit, P-09, Flo 60/90 carbon + aluminium. Conti 5000.
6) Flat course, out and back. Cold and rainy. Finished in 2:07, 6th best overall bike time. Ended up 8th overall, 4th in age group (35-39).

Strava
Last edited by: mstewarttri: Aug 19, 19 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Avg power: 224 watts, N. power 243 watts
2) 33.3 kph
3) 180 km (IM Mont Tremblant) - time was 5:21:23
4) 208 lbs (94 kg)
5) 2019 Felt IA 10, HED Jet Black 9 front and back, XLab aero bottle and BTA bottle, 2 bottle behind seat
6) I have no excuses, I'm just slow? Tried tilting the aero bars to bring my hands up and close off my frontal area, and in doing so, drop my elbows and thus, body, but only tried this 4 weeks out from the race, and felt too tough on my back to adapt in a short time period, so went back to neutral position and will work in more aggressive and aero position over winter.
7) Here's some race pics from IMMT: https://www.finisherpix.com/...3_048735#2973_048735
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [DZ_Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're on with what you need to do with your front end. Though if you could stand taking a spacer or two out that might help as well. I think at your size (height mostly), its going to be hard to get the same CDA numbers we see with a lot of these smaller guys (or TT guys). I'm coming to that realization now as I work out my splits and feel like I should be going faster.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 141W, NP 152W
2) 19.1 mph, 5:45:26 (per Garmin, which includes 2:30 stopped at special needs for bottles/pee).
3) IMMT, Garmin measured 110.2
4) 136 lbs, 5'9"
5) 2011 Cannondale slice, Hed Jet+ 6, GP4000sii 23c, latex tubes, castelli free sanremo suit, bontrager ballista helmet...and hairy legs. PM is a favero assioma one sided.
6) not much to complain about. wind picked up a touch on 2nd lap but wasn't bad at all. garmin had 5206' of climbing. what a great course. my position is pretty upright, but not trying to KQ or anything and found the spacers comfortable. might try to get lower next year.
7) attached, i think...

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 138 Watts ap / 172 np
2) 18.0 mph (6:11:17)
3) 111.60
4) 161.2 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2 with HED 5 Front and HED 9 Rear with Aerojacket Disc Cover. GP 4000 23 front 25 rear. Latex Tubes. Garmin Vector 2 dual sided power meter pedals. Giro Selector helmet with deeper Finn from 2012. Double bottle cages behind the saddle. Zipp Vuka aerobar extensions. 160mm praxis crankset.
6) Ironman Lake Placid 2019. This is my first Ironman

Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 22, 19 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
181ap/201np (measured via Pioneer which was always 10% less than Wahoo)
16.8mph (6:41:30)
111 miles (Pioneer autopaused on a couple climbs for a second or two)
185lbs
QR PR3, Flo 60’s, Tririg Alpha One/Omegas/Delta/Styx, GP5k, latex, aerohead, OwnWay suit, reflective vest...?

Norseman. Just under 10k ft of climbing. Various injuries meant I was undertrained and overweight. It was hard.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Aug 23, 19 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.5 Kilowatts of posts!

Been following this thread for years and a lot of great info/data and pics!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just scanned last few pages, you guys are burning like 7-10 watts per mph?! No wonder a woman won that cross Europe endurance race....

Here is my last Oly aquabike (Mountain Man, Flagstaff, AZ)
1. 90watts average
2. 16.8 mph (5.4 watts/mph!)
3. weight 133 lbs
4. 24.5miles at 6000 feet with 2200feet elev gain, some cross winds over a 5 mile section, straight out and back, sunny, 70F
5. QR CD01 with 50mm deep chinese carbon tubular front, old style zipp carbon tubular disc rear, 1x10 rotor 155mm cranks, 100 mile bars from the 80’s, desoto suit and kiwami top, POC cerebel helmet, diy prism shades, diy carbon shoes

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Last edited by: DrTriKat: Aug 22, 19 22:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next