Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here!
Quote | Reply
I'll go first: going into the porta pottie at the start of the second lap to relieve some GI issues and spilling most of my Salt Stick Tablets on the throne and soiled floor. Knowing there would be no "run" without them, I picked them off them off of the floor and the toilet seat area and putting them back into the pill flask. Extra electrolytes! That and that alone cost me my Kona spot and victory over Potts. Sponsors are unhappy.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is beyond disgusting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ewwwww
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking this belongs in the Dirty Secrets thread

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
That is beyond disgusting

X1000

Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not often the OP wins the thread, but here we are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I'll go first: going into the porta pottie at the start of the second lap to relieve some GI issues and spilling most of my Salt Stick Tablets on the throne and soiled floor. Knowing there would be no "run" without them, I picked them off them off of the floor and the toilet seat area and putting them back into the pill flask. Extra electrolytes! That and that alone cost me my Kona spot and victory over Potts. Sponsors are unhappy.

Please now tell us all that you did not use those tablets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Andy Potts immediately coming out of the crapper right before the race start and decided that was a great time to shake his hand. Sorry, Potts. :(

He was also the first guy I saw going like 500 kph in aero on the return descent from that first big climb. Very inspirational. Looked absolutely bat-shit crazy. Definitely set the standard for what's possible if you have big enough balls.

And was I the only person that thought I smelled weed during the run?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 25, 16 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I met Andy Potts immediately coming out of the crapper right before the race start and decided that was a great time to shake his hand. Sorry, Potts. :(

He was also the first guy I saw going like 500 kph in aero on the return descent from that first big climb. Very inspirational. Looked absolutely bat-shit crazy. Definitely set the standard for what's possible if you have big enough balls.

Well it obviously didn't slow Potts down at all. I thought I was riding that course like a boss until I saw his 4:30 split.

Totally smelled weed on the run course, also on the out and back after Pemberton right...er...dude?
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... But he loses all his bike handling skills by training indoors

/pink

Seriously though, he was screaming down. I think he's honed this skill in all those Alcatraz races!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the lot

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a chance the lack of moisture in the salt tablets would provide a too inhospitable environment for any potential germs to thrive. Then again, it is just like licking the floor of the honey bucket.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Smelled weed several times on the run, especially on the way out to Green Lake. More obnoxious were all of the non-racers using the run course. Next time I would appreciate something more like this when passing those on the path.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I smelled it a few times. I laughed. Walking around the village the day before the race saw several people partaking in BC bud.

I got two flats going up to the Nordic center. My race was over early in the day. Thanks to whoever gave me CO2, tube and lever. To the people that said they didn't have anything but it was clearly fastened to your bike, don't lie. Just say you don't want to stop. I'd respect that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a plant called "skunk cabbage" that smells like weed. That is what you were smelling on the run, however there is none in the village, that was probably weed! haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whistler war story, eh?

Went to bed early Saturday night with mild lower back pain. I never get back pain. Didn't think much of it. Woke up middle of the night with pretty bad back pain. Still was not concerned. I thought I'd wake up in the morning and it'd all be fine.

Woke up in the AM. Severe back pain and my core would not support my weight. I'd give out and I had to hold onto furniture just to get around the room to get ready and get out. Hobbled to the shuttle. Sat down somehow using the seat in front as leverage. Got up somehow doing the same.

Could not stand around waiting for start so found a place to sit down. Plan was to swim then get on the bike and see what happens.

Swam the slowest split of my life BY FAR. Could not rotate properly or use the core to keep the legs up.

Bike was okay but I was in pain last 1/3rd or so.

Run started and it was like a dagger in my lower back with every step... first 2 miles or so. Then it got better and I ran okay. Until I blew up and had to walk.

So how often does that happen? Never. First time. On race morning? The back was fine just 48 hours later.

Just like I got PF 3 weeks before early season race this year and could not run for a month.
Or how I got into Vineman last year finally, and crashed the bike a month out.
Or how I have to have coffee race morning. No coffee shops open 5 AM. So I made coffee at home. Grinder turned for 1s, stopped, and smelled like burned electricals. So no coffee and as a consequence I stopped by port-a-potties three times in that race. Did I mention we've had that grinder for years and use it every morning?
Or another race a few years back I got a 8/10 sidestitch pain 1/2 mile into the run so severe it compelled me to walk. Never did I get one before or since.

Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your IMC (Whistler) war/sob stories here! [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to laugh at a volunteer warning me about a bear up ahead, while I was midway through lap 2 of the run. And yet no one was doing anything about the bear or redirecting runners, etc.

Oh well, I figured - if the bear wants a snack, not much I can do to stop him at this point except hope he chases a Pokemon Go player instead. See - there are good things about all the non-racers on the path :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert...were you able to finish the race despite your pain?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes finished. Collected my gear and went to the hotel immediately, left everything in its post-race gross state on the floor still in IM bags, showered, and spent the next 13 hours in bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two days before the race I decided to "go aero" and use my vintage (2004) Profile Design BTA aero drink bottle. You know, the one fastened to your aero bars by elastics. At about mile 30 on the downhill into Pemberton, one of those elastics disappeared, leaving me with....one.

From that mile on, every time I hit a significant bump in the road, the bottle would swing out a little bit, hit the aerobars, and give me a Gatorage Glaze. Uncomfortable, but not really an issue. That is if you are going faster than about 6 miles per hour. Of course I was not going 6 mph UP the Pemberton Climb. The local bees, and I believe, horseflies, decided to make me their sugar source for the next 20 minutes. Thankfully, none of the little buggers took it upon themselves to bite me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar situation. I've got one of those Garmin mounts that got recalled for the center piece popping out. Mine seemed more than fine, so I never bothered with it. When crossing over the rumple strip to the left side of the right lanes on the first trip back to Whistler, the bike vibrated so hard that my garmin 510 popped out of the mount and flew up and hit me hard in the face/helmet/sunglasses. I use that elastic leash string thing just in case (lost a powertap computer once) and the garmin swung out and down, banging into the headtube over and over again. Was definitely a suboptimal feature of my ride that day. I'm pretty sure that a bike computer swinging wildly from the bars is not very aero.

I kept trying to wedge it back in, but every big bump would pop it out again. Finally, some sugary stuff got on it, made it sticky, and it held for the last 30 miles or so. I might superglue the backing plate back in to see if it stays. The bolts for that mount are sweat-rusted shut, so I can't send it back without hack sawing some things apart.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Aug 3, 16 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicely done. gotta love a mid-race hack in which two wrongs make a right.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply