Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post discectomy restoration of motor loss
Quote | Reply
Hi, 6 days following a discectomy of L5S1. Had herniation causing foot drop and numbness in left leg/foot. Post surgery much less pain and able to walk (did a couple hours of walking yesterday) but my gait is off as my foot drop still there (due to motor loss) and foot numbness still there. I read that it takes a long time to get that back but has anyone got any experience with (I) the time it took; (ii) any supplements or nutrients that might help during the process; and (iii) any particular exercises to work through? I know I MUST take it slow and not start anything until I get the OK from my PT and surgeon but any input is welcomed! I am 51 yr old male who wants to get back to at least 1/2 IM. thanks!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Post discectomy restoration of motor loss [dadmarcus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the big take away is everyone is different. I had the same procedure in 2006 and still have nerve issues. I'm different. Do take it easy. Do strengthen your core and posterior chain when able. Do come back very slowly as necessary. I'm 37.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the procedure done the first time 27 years ago at L4/L5 and L5/S1. My entire foot was numb for almost 2 months b/f the neuro did anything proactive and percutaneous discectomy was still a very new realm for neuro. Maybe half my foot drop was gone 2 weeks after the procedure. I still have a section on the back of my heel to maybe 2 inches down and then to the heel pad I assume will never come back. The horrible clutz foot is gone though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may consider reading Doidge's recent book about neuroplasticity - the chapter on laser therapy may be especially relevant in your recovery.

http://www.amazon.com/...ticity/dp/067002550X

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please follow the advice of your doctors. Each persons issues can be very different. Nerve injuries can take a long time to heal, it depends on the exact mechanism, timing, etc. Have you had an EMG test? This test can be helpful in evaluating the severity and timing/chronicity of the nerve damage, and may give useful information about nerve regeneration. Best of luck in your recovery.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, your doctor will know best. I went through something similar a couple years back. Severe foot drop and numbness from L4/L5 herniated disc. On the plus side, we acted quickly. I was operated on within a week of the initial symptoms. All the research I read at the time suggested that the amount of function you would get back heavily correlated with the severity of the injury and the time before resolving, so my doctor was optimistic I would get function back quickly. Unfortunately, it was slower than I hoped. Immediately post surgery, things were better but I definitely had an impairment and walking was a little awkward. Over the course of 6 months, things continued to improve, although I still have some minor impairment if you know what to look for (can't raise my big toe for example). I actually found that cycling helped quite a bit as it forced some range of motion in my foot. I also got some good advice from a local area cyclist friend who is a PT and worked on various range of motion exercises, and some strength exercises with bands. Most of the research suggested that whatever function you get at 6 months post surgery is about it, but I found that over the following year I continued to improve although at a more modest pace.

Good luck with your recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a severe L4/L5 blow out coupled with spinal stenosis when I was 21. I was paralyzed from the thigh or so down for a week on both sides. It took me a couple weeks before I was able to walk with crutches and braces for the foot drop. It took months after that before I was able to walk with no aids. I am now 8+ years post op and am relatively competitive in all races I do. I still have deficits on one side in my anterior tibialis and some of the smaller muscles in my foot/calf but I don't notice it 99.9% of the time.

My recommendation is to take it extremely slow in terms of activity and DO NOT skimp on your PT. As much as you are cleared to do...do it...and maybe sneak a few more when you're feeling good :)

As another poster noted, make a concerted effort to strengthen your core and posterior chain. Read up on foundation training as well...it is all about how evolution to bipedal homosapiens has led most of us to have really weak posterior chains and the right exercises can help correct a lot of our evolved deficits. Sounds out there but the movements have helped me greatly so I am a firm believer.

It's a long road and you'll be frustrated as hell but maintain a positive attitude and celebrate the small victories. Good luck!
Last edited by: badgertri: Apr 27, 15 18:45
Quote Reply