Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Possible Fraud?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever heard of a third party agent called Selco being used to buy/sell high end bikes? I encountered them after I answered an ad for a Wilier (not on this site) and I am suspicious of fraud. They only accept wire transfer for payment, which really took me by surprise and made me a little suspicious. I called Western Union and they said that any type of transaction using their services was probably fraudulent. That said, they also didn't seem the slightest bit interested in the details of the company. They just declared it fraud based on the fact that they wanted to use WU in the first place.

Here is a link to the site...http://www.selco.shop.ms/

I hate to walk away if it is legit, but I have some serious doubts.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [Duckie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duckie wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a third party agent called Selco being used to buy/sell high end bikes? I encountered them after I answered an ad for a Wilier (not on this site) and I am suspicious of fraud. They only accept wire transfer for payment, which really took me by surprise and made me a little suspicious. I called Western Union and they said that any type of transaction using their services was probably fraudulent. That said, they also didn't seem the slightest bit interested in the details of the company. They just declared it fraud based on the fact that they wanted to use WU in the first place.

You already answered your own question. Sheesh, I am working on teaching my 2 1/2 and my 5 year-old how to tune into and listen to their bullshit detector......I hope to god I am not answering phone calls from them in 20 years on the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only accepts western union....strike one
web site is a wordpress template that took all of 5 minutes to put together.....strike two

Whois lookup:

Domain Information
Query: shop.ms
Created: 11 Nov 2003 07:00 AST
Modified: 07 Oct 2010 19:52 AST
Expires: 11 Nov 2012 07:00 AST
Name Servers:
ns1.idnscan.net
ns6.idnscan.net

Registrar Information
Registrar Name: MNINET Registrar
Registration URL: https://secure.domains.mninet.ms
Address: Olveston Drive
Olveston
Montserrat

Registrant:
Name: Interdots International
Address:
c/o Marius T Strasser
P.O. Box 51
Nea Michaniona, GR-57004 GR
Email Address:
Phone Number: ++1-253-323-0927
Fax Number: ++1-253-323-0927 ext. ++1-253-323-0927

Looks like a greek company. Google searching Interdots International reveals quite a few sites indicating it's spam/phishing/fraud

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Last edited by: VO2Matt: May 19, 12 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I kind of figured. I didn't like the fact that the site didn't have any security certificates either. The price definitely fell into the too good to be true category which had me wondering if the bike was stolen. In retrospect, running a wire transfer fraud scam is even easier than selling stolen bikes online.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the input!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus the phone number country code is for Djibouti (little country on the eastern tip of Africa...by Somalia).

Just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have encountered the same "seller" on backpage.com
I asked to see the bike in person, I'll let you know what they come up with.
They said "Selco" is located in LA, my google-fu says unlikely.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [LOMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duckie wrote:
I called Western Union and they said that any type of transaction using their services was probably fraudulent. ... They just declared it fraud based on the fact that they wanted to use WU in the first place.

i find this interesting. they admit that their services are used fraudulently, but don't do anything. make me wonder the percent of their service being used for fraudulent vs legal activity. i don't think i could work for that company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The address on the bottom is in for a huge office building in DC but the businesses listed according to google don't include Safeco.
Also no phone number on website... and the grammer on that site sounds like that Nigerian guy who wants to email me a billion dollers.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [spb OMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does your spelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [JohninMadisonWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohninMadisonWI wrote:
So does your spelling.

Well played sir...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Let me know what comes of it. I told the seller what western union said, suggested we try a more secure transaction to protect us both (ha!) and (not suprisingly) never heard back from them again. The seller claims to be using this company as a third party agent, though initially they made it sound like a local shop. I doubt they are actually a seperate entity. I suspect it's all just a big scam.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duckie wrote:

selco has deal for you. You pay western union , we ship product. best product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should have told him that you were interested but all your funds are tied up in your uncle's off shore account and that if he sent you $500 to cover the transfer fees, you would reward him with $10000 for his trouble.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VO2Matt wrote:
you should have told him that you were interested but all your funds are tied up in your uncle's off shore account and that if he sent you $500 to cover the transfer fees, you would reward him with $10000 for his trouble.

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Fraud? [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant idea! I wish I had thought of that while they were still speaking to me.

Quote Reply