Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race
Quote | Reply
just been thinking about my running times in triathlons after a disappointing run at the Miami man on Sunday.

It seems that by distance my triathlon runs are slower than running PRs by the following %ages:
10k - ~2%
13.1 - 24% (typically but a whopping 33% on sunday)
26.2 - 39% IMFL '04 23% Lake Placid '05

so how do your runs compare? My half runs are always way below par...something to fix for next year.

interesting side note, Heather Fuhr told me she doesn't think she could run a marathon faster than she does in IM....i guess that shows how optimally tuned she is for the IM race

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [pbashfor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am:

1' for 10k - so 2.5% (37:50 - 38:50 a ALT)

7% for Half IM

22% for IM

Obviously, my IM marathon needs work. In reality my long distance biking needs work.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea for a thread. Have only done Oly and haven't done a 10K in years, so based Jack Daniel's VDOT pace estimating system,..

10K - 4.5% (triathlon slower than optimal 10K)

What do coaches or other "experts" believe this figure should be?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since running is "supposed" to be my strength, how to improve the ratio??

is it:
a) Improve bike so less fatigued for run?
b) Improve run?
c) Improve running off bike specificity?
or (this is for Frank...)
d) Get some power cranks and improve bike and run at the same time? ;)

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read the standard % for OD is 7% which may be ok for MOP but for guys near the FOP more like 1-2%.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) yes

B) no

C) not really

D) haa haa, no

E) improve your swim fitness, you will be less fatigued on the run. You may laugh, but I have seen lots of guys/gals pump up the volume on the swim and they run better. Myself included.

So, A and E. :-)

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, do you think the benefit of adding swim fitness improved race day run by:

a) being less tired getting out of the water on race day?

OR

b) the improved overall general fitness derived from the greater swim fitness?

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding swim volume will increase your aerobic capacity without pounding our joints (ie running). That is a benefit in my opinion.

So - a) - YES - being less tired coming out of the water and

b) - YES - as mentioned above AND

c) - getting out of the water in the front of the pack and not having to hammer through the field and play catch up the whole race. That wears on you more than people think.

If you have the leaders in sight after the swim, and you are a good runner, you have simplified your race considerably.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly.. I'm way faster on most of the distance off the bike than on an open race. Maybe it's because I always start too fast on open road races and usually blow up at half point.

Some times to compare:

5Km - 16'50 (off the bike) vs 16'14 (on the track WITH track shoes)

10Km - 33'40 (off the bike) vs 34'3x (open road race)

20Km - 1h17 (off the bike) vs 1h18 (open road race)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10K: 36:40 v. 37-something in a tri. (but the course was way short) More like 39 is typical so ... 6-7 % slower. Finished dozens of both races.

1/2: 1:21 v. 1:35 in my only HIM so ... 11-12 % slower.

Success to me would be 3 % slower in an oly and 5-6 % slower in HIM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, not to hijack this but what about HIM vs IM bike times? Is there any way to guess an IM bike time from HIM bike time?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot that goes into that - starting with how hard did you have to work on the swim? If everything is equal on the swim (fitness is solid) now you go to the next factors which is how well are you trained, and then nutrition and pacing. So IF ALL of that is equal, you still have the issue of Muscular Endurance - but I have seen guys 'double' their times and run fine off the bike, and I have seen some literature that says double the time and add 20-30 minutes. I have seen that double + 20-30 minutes to be pretty typical.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [TB in MT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're lucky. My 1/2 time is 1:30 even. At the last 1/2 Iron I did it was 2:18. There were other factors involved (mainly heat, hawai'i vs seattle). It's been a couple of years but I have whittled the differences down in the shorter races likely due to increased bike training. Maybe 2:00 on a 5k (20 tri vs 18 open road race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Miami Man last week too. I think you also might consider the bike course/effort when factoring running pace into the equation. We both know the 20 - 30 mph winds & heat took a toll on the legs during the bike. Example, I should have held 6:30 pace (based off prior performance) and I could only muster 7:37pace...

So I guess it depends on how hard you worked on the bike.

PS Miamiman.. That was an EPIC race... loved every minute of it... I've memories to keep me warm (current Ann Arbor Mi temp 23f).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"""""E) improve your swim fitness, you will be less fatigued on the run. You may laugh, but I have seen lots of guys/gals pump up the volume on the swim and they run better. Myself included"""""""

Don't let therascal see this thread. He'll go ballistic again. Here is a link to a thread debating that very subject.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#613110

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your run times will usually be slower for several reasons.

A non inclusive list would include peripheral fatigue, muscle tissue tramua, dehydration, lowered blood sugar if not properly eating, lack of running fatigue resistance, lack of cycling fitness.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 17, 05 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Tri running performance vs Open Road Race [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian - I just checked it out - he has an opinion on it all right! A strong one at that.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply