Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polishing a bike frame
Quote | Reply
What do you use to polish your bike frame?

The book, "Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" says that instead of buying a car wax or special bike cleaner, you can just use Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

Then, one page later it says "If you use CITRUS-BASED cleaners for chains, cogs, and chainrings, minimize their contact with your bike's paint."

Wouldn't Lemon Pledge be, um, citrus-based?

Anyway, I'd love to use up my Lemon Pledge polish (it's actually an Orange Pledge in my case) but now not so sure.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Polishing a bike frame [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finish Line Bike Wash is the deal. You won't regret it. It cleans and polishes your bike in one step.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD-40

_______
t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard lotsa folks use Pledge.

I spend the extra $0.50 or whatever and use Pedro's Bike Lust. Comes in a pump spray bottle, gets yer whole bike clean and shiny. Helps keep future dirt and grime from sticking too. Strong enough for a mtb, but made for road geeks ;-)

Citrus-based cleaners vs. the nominal amount of lemon (or orange) fragrance they put in Pledge, are 2 totally different extremes in concentration levels. I doubt that the "lemon scent #5" or whatever they use would cause any problems at the very low % it is in the product.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there anything to use on chrome parts? such as the cranks, etc.?

(not planning on putting it in the actual moving parts, duh!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Pledge on my bikes for six years and counting, no signs of paint problems.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply