Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar V800 with Don Fink Iron Fit - ZONES
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I am looking at putting together training targets on the V800 for the Don Fink Iron Fit Competitive/Intermediate programs and am having some difficulty. The Fink approach bases sessions on zonal training for HR which is perfect other than it defines the zones slightly differently to Polar. As an example, Iron Fit gives the following as zonal range

Zone 1 - 65%-74%
Zone 2 - 75%-85%
Zone 3 - 86%-89%
Zone 4 90%-95

Polar define zones as

Zone 1 - 60%-70%
Zone 2 - 70%-80%
Zone 3 - 80%-90%
Zone 4 - 90%-100%

The ideal solution would be to alter the V800 based zones to the % as per Don Fink (Although this would need to be manually defined BPM rather than % HR) but im not sure this can be done. Has anybody had the same problem and if so, what did you do. The aim is to create HR based Training targets (via intervals) that will just sit on my watch and correspond to the Fink approach to traing, so the second question is, have you managed to achieve this.

An example session from Fink would be:

Run-30. Min Z2 (@20min, insert 5min Z4).

Using the Fink HR Zones I would be running at between 75%-85% then 90%-95% compared with 70%-80% then 90%-100%. Not huge differences but the programs have a huge emphasis on avoiding over/under training with targets so Id be interested if other people had looked at this.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 with Don Fink Iron Fit - ZONES [bagggers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can manually change all the values with the v800...pretty easy to do, don't think you change the % for zones but never tried.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 with Don Fink Iron Fit - ZONES [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
You can manually change all the values with the v800...pretty easy to do, don't think you change the % for zones but never tried.

Thanks mate. Any idea how. I cant see the woods for the trees. I can alter Max HR and anearobic and aerobic threshold but nothing else unless im looking in the wrong place. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to setting in polar flow(website), choose settings, and edit sport profile...you can then alter your HR setting for each activity...it's a nice feature as my HR for running and cycling zones are different. Any issues, drop me a line.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 with Don Fink Iron Fit - ZONES [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely fantastic mate thats awesome, thanks so much. Next question if you dont mind. I am planning to use the v800 for HIM training and the plan will be something like run 60 mins in zone 2 then at the 40 min point move to zone 4 for 10 mins. Is it possible to set up a training target for the session that is based on time and HR zone i.e it beeps at 40 mins and tells me zone 4 for whatever period.. Sorry if these are basic im new to the 800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it is through phase training...I'm also new to Polar for some of the features and don't use this one too often.

I suggest you look at http://forum.polar.fi as well. There a few using phase training, also, Chris from Polar is on this forum and will probably chime in to help.

There is a forum just on the v800 including features/improvement suggestions, etc...the phase training requires the website as well and you will be able to do it as requested.
Quote Reply