Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Polar V800
Quote | Reply
Received an email from Polar today about a new watch called the V800. A search of the interwebs and the Slowtwitch database of omniscient knowledge came up blank....

Anyone know anything?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have any info on it until launch date Monday 1/6.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guesses?

Nice to see a bluetooth Optic HR tri watch with same features as 910xt...if so, I'd buy it tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two guesses:

Ability to monitor HR underwater (ala the old 725)

Internal GPS, no separate pod.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, they waited until after Christmas! I have a feeling this would have made the top of my list.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Two guesses:
HR underwater is already working with RCX5.

I think that no pods are mandatory these days if you want to be successful...
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true, unfortunately my old 725 bit the dust before the RCX5 was released so I went with the RS800CX

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's bulkier than the RCX5 so it almost has to have integrated GPS. I wonder why the foot-pod in the video? For instant pace? There's also something about "wear 24/7" so I'm thinking it possibly has an accelerometer in it to provide the functionality of the Polar Loop. If these things are true along with underwater HR, I'll be buying one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
POLAR V800
chosen by champions

Apparently, a lot of 'champions' have already 'chosen' it.
All we know right now is basically what it looks like, and that it will give you HR, pace and distance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Two guesses:

Internal GPS, no separate pod.

Inside the source code of the page we get this: "Meet the world's smartest training device with integrated GPS – a superior companion especially for triathletes who want to achieve their best and beyond. "
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My assumption is that Dcrainmaker has a lot more info and is held back from commenting until the official reveal tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm predicting bike power on the watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question will be if it will allow Ant+ or just their system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were top of the heap for a long time, but seem to have lagged in developing new and exciting technology. I had a Polar watch about 25 years ago when almost none of the other local runners had one.

If it doesn't make me faster, why would I buy it? ;)

On the other hand, I still use their Fit Test for giggles about once a week, as I have an RCX5.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Jan 5, 14 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
The question will be if it will allow Ant+ or just their system.

Looking at the video one can see the Bluetooth foot pod.
This opens up direct iPhone & iPad upload.

So WIND is most likely gone.

That leaves BTLE & ANT+

I can't see polar supporting ANT+.
This excludes all PM users.

Let's wait and see.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No ANT+ would be a deal killer for me. I wouldn't mind getting a slimmer replacement for my Garmin 310XT, but if it won't record my power data, forget it.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Exactly...if they can't do that, they have still exluded quite a large population base...maybe a cross like Striiiive that will get multiple signals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated, there is ZERO chance of ant+ compatibility. Either their own WIND system or possibly Bluetooth Low Energy. The BLE would be a big step forward for them and quite a deviation from past behaviors. While not abundant, there are some BLE power meters out there made by third parties.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
As stated, there is ZERO chance of ant+ compatibility. Either their own WIND system or possibly Bluetooth Low Energy. The BLE would be a big step forward for them and quite a deviation from past behaviors. While not abundant, there are some BLE power meters out there made by third parties.

Yeah, I would be pretty surprised if it DID have ANT+. On the other hand, if they continue to ignore ANT+, I think Polar will become more and more marginalized in the tri market for "do it all" devices like the 310/910 and the Suunto Ambit series, which all support that standard.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Found this on a German site (translated with google translate):

Based on the Polar typical basic functions such as chest strap based heart rate monitor ( Polar h7 chest strap) , velocity measurement (via built-in GPS receiver or Polar Bluetooth smart stride sensor ) , speed, and cadence with a new combi wheel sensor , the V800 offers two main new features: Firstly, the Bluetooth smart based transmission technology which is compatible with many smartphones and on the other hand , the known from the Polar loop Activity Tracking technology. Plotting the V800 during the day on the wrist, this evaluates the movements of the wearer and can therefore assess the activity and stress level of the wearer. For the latter is polar for the first time a barometric altitude sensor, which not only in sports record the altitude data , but also in the Activity Tracking as walls or climbing stairs are drawn in detecting the movement to rate. Also , most of the athletes has a smartphone mostly for the music anyway , so it will ultimately be exciting when training with this as Polar will implement the smartphone integration. So it would certainly be useful to be able to remotely control the phone into the back pocket with buttons on the V800 . So you could drive the next song , affect the volume level , take on a Telefonanuf , reading an SMS on the clock display , or many other things possibly more ...

Here are the main features at a glance :

Polar V800 SmartWatch with integrated highly sensitive GPS receiver
Bluetooth compatible smart
integrated Lithium-Ion battery and barometric altitude sensor
institutional gierter activity meter which can detect the Alltagsbelasstungen
Compatible with Flow app for iOS (from iPhone 4s ) and Android ( 4.3) for transmitting data to the web service flow
SmartWatch features
Compatible with FlowSync for Mac / PC via proprietary USB charging cable for data transfer to the web service flow
Hybrid Heart Rate Monitor Polar h7 with simultaneous Bluetooth Smart and 5 kHz transmission while swimming or cardio equipment in the gym
Compatible with Polar Bluetooth smart stride sensor and Bluetooth smart speed & cadence sensor ( combined sensor )
Five key operation ( two on the left and three on the right side )

####

So, as predicted, no ANT+

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ANT+ will be dead in about 5 years. BTLE will replace it as it is a far superior technology.

ANT+ was developed by Garmin to sell more of their products which IMHO have suffered some major quality issues in the last few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree re Ant+...but I guess those of us with a quarq or SRM will just run a separate computer just for the bike...in that case, might as well just get a running watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
ANT+ will be dead in about 5 years. BTLE will replace it as it is a far superior technology.

ANT+ was developed by Garmin to sell more of their products which IMHO have suffered some major quality issues in the last few years.

You may very well be right, but the fact is there are a lot of ANT+ components out there, especially power meters. I have little desire to purchase what will likely be a pretty expensive device, yet have to download my power from a separate device because it won't talk to my Quarq power meter. And, if I want my heart rate associated with my power, now I'm probably wearing two heart rate straps to boot, since my Garmin 510 requires an ANT+ heart rate strap. No ANT+, no deal for me. I'll wait for a 910 replacement or just stick with my 310 for racing.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Polar does not have rights to Ant+ and never will. It would be counter productive to Garmin to liscensce Polar to use Ant+. It will never happen. How hard is that to understand? Like another poster said Bluetooth technology is taking over and Polar has that. Soon you will see Garmin , quark , power pedals , power tap and rest of things that read watts going to Bluetooth. Bluetooth is the future now.

Prev Next