Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Point to point to point race transition advice
Quote | Reply
Hey STers,

So doing the Ironman 70.3 NC in two weeks. I’ve never done a point to point to point race before and would love some insight/advice/tips specific to this kind of race format or if you have done this race before anything I should prepare/plan for.

Thanks in advance.

Bilal
Quote Reply
Re: Point to point to point race transition advice [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I’ve never done that particular race, but we had separate transition areas in Rotterdam a few weeks ago. I would say be sure to leave yourself extra time, and double and triple check to make sure you’re not forgetting anything as you set up your stuff. In our case, the transition areas were not close to each other… We rode our bikes to T2 to drop our shoes, then took the bikes (I actually took mine on the athlete boat shuttle) to drop them off in T1. Remember to familiarize yourself with the in and out, and location of your stuff, in both transition areas. I’m normally fastidious about this, but because there were so many more logistics on race day I ended up getting a little turned around in T2. In Rotterdam, we had to put all of our swim things into a drawstring bag in T1 that they then collected and brought to the finish area after the race. You want to make really sure it’s easy for you to stuff your things in there, if your race has a similar setup. I hung my bag, open, on my brake hoods. Good luck, have a great time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done a number of them... each is unique.

lots use a bus back to the swim venue

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. Park in the garage by the finish line, take the shuttle to the start, drive home after the race. Everything that you brought to the start will be brought back to you at the finish line village.

The drive to the start to check in your bike is a bit of a drive from the finish line, but that's the only negative about it. Plenty of free parking at T1.

Quote | Reply
I've done this race a few times. The above strategy works fine if you're by yourself.

Better idea is to have a bit of help if possible. On Saturday I have my wife drop me at T1, take the bus to the swim start, and she takes the truck to the finish line and waits for me there once I'm through T1. There are a ton of restaurants and stuff to do while she waits for me to breeze through T2 and then hit the finish line. Also eliminates need for morning clothes bag and having to track it down after the race. She can also get my bike assuming I let her touch it.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same. You'll need to separate your run and bike stuff obviously. You'll drop your run stuff on Friday when you check in. (might be a good idea to have something weather resistant for rain/dew, etc) Then head over to T1, drop your bike and you're done. When you come out Sat morning you can bring your bike shoes, helmet, pump, etc and return the stuff you don't want to your car. (assuming you have help)

The mandatory athlete meeting will go over this in detail. Only other thing I'd add is that I go get my packet on Thursday so I can go ahead and sort my gear, get the stickers on, and Friday is then pretty simple. Just gives you some time to process it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are shuttling to the swim start think about using some "disposable" clothing like a stocking cap or sweatshirt if it will be cold out and some cheap flip flops if you don't like walking around barefoot. Even if they offer transfer bags, this can be easier. Actually blowing $15 on stuff to wear for the last half hour before the start then throw away can make the last hour before many triathlons less hectic and more comfortable.
Quote Reply