Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please...Half or Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Please...I might be old school but to print or say Ironman 70.3 is to be disrespectful.

Saying you did Ironman means KONA. period.

Saying you did Ironman FL, WI, Choo....is fine

But to say you did Ironman Racine....and maybe add the 70.3 that most non-triathletes don't understand is bragging with out finishing...just like wearing clothing from a race you have not done.

Shame on you.

Just say you have done a Half-Ironman and be done with it. Be honest.

Maybe part of our numbers drop this year is because all the non-triathletes think all of us just do IM distance races all year long..go look it up and do the usual...no ____ way!

Just my 2-cents

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"our" numbers drop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
Please...I might be old school but to print or say Ironman 70.3 is to be disrespectful.

Saying you did Ironman means KONA. period.

Saying you did Ironman FL, WI, Choo....is fine

But to say you did Ironman Racine....and maybe add the 70.3 that most non-triathletes don't understand is bragging with out finishing...just like wearing clothing from a race you have not done.

Shame on you.

Maybe part of our numbers drop this year is because all the non-triathletes think all of us just do IM distance races all year long..go look it up and do the usual...no ____ way!

Just my 2-cents

Elitism from AMS. Are you really that tore up over it?
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No elitism. Just honesty. The current 'jargon' does not honor the distance: 140.6. Just an attempt to keep it real.

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current 'jargon' does not line your pocket or your race. The new jargon, if everyone uses it, might. Just be honest and keep it real.

Stindiana wrote:
No elitism. Just honesty. The current 'jargon' does not honor the distance: 140.6. Just an attempt to keep it real.

Quote | Reply
There are a lot of fat Ironmen out there. They do a lot more to dishonor the "distance" than any jargon. For example:

http://tosh.cc.com/.../05/fat-iron-man.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No other motive period. We do not nor would produce a 140.6 and as for our half..you missed the meaning of my comments.

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the Ironman web site actually refer to it as Ironman 70.3? I must be missing the point, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's called branding. WTC has given it's participants the right to embellish. Deal with it.

Btw, most non-triathletes don't give a shit. Mostly it's just triathletes who think doing an IM is a big deal. It really isn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

ironman is just a brand! say mid-distance triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [TSimone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSimone wrote:
Doesn't the Ironman web site actually refer to it as Ironman 70.3? I must be missing the point, too.

I think that is the point. I believe that the OP is concerned about the usurpation of the word "Ironman", first by the WTC and then by the masses (some of which don't know any better) to mean something that is not 140.6. A lot of people feel that way.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if someone asks how many I have done I have to list them all out and not say 'I've done x IM's' for fear that they will think I have done Kona multiple times?

Saying Ironman 70.3 is not disrespectful, it is just too many syllables. If the person you are talking to knows about triathlon you say, 'I did a half yesterday.' If the person doesn't know about triathlon you don't say anything because they don't know the difference between a walk around the block, a 5k, a half, a marathon (and for the love of god don't say half-mary and mary because that just pisses me off), an ironman, the TdF, and the Marathon des Sables.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Oct 24, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
TSimone wrote:

I think that is the point. I believe that the OP is concerned about the usurpation of the word "Ironman", first by the WTC and then by the masses (some of which don't know any better) to mean something that is not 140.6. A lot of people feel that way.

I would have thought that as well but most of his post seemed directed at individuals and not so much at WTC. Maybe that was intentional. I probably did miss the point though, as I generally need things explained to me in terms of duckies & bunnies...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have way too much time on your hands if this bothers you. 98% of the population have no clue as to what an Ironman really is anyways.... Get over it and spend your time worrying about something that matters dude. As far as people wearing logo shirts for races they have or have not done. So what! I have done many Ironmans and really don't worry about such small minded things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares. Half Ironman or Ironman is the correct term though

It's not if you did a Half Marathon or a Marathon or a Half Ironman or a Ironman it's DID YOU RACE IT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 is still an Ironman race, just a different distance. So technically whether you do 70.3 or the full distance, you still competed and completed an Ironman race.
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe mid distance - or standard, is Oly. Short is sprint, Long is 70.3 (HIM), Ultra is 140.6....please correct me if i'm wrong.

When I get around to doing a Challenge Race - I'm going to tell everyone, I did a Challenge. They might ask - like that stupid ice bucket crap? Maybe Felix needs a new branding strategy...

Or this Toughman thing - is their a Tdot tattoo yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
No other motive period.

Bullshit

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.5/10

Would have been 1.5...but it's Friday and it's easier to rile up the crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lighten up Francis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The medal says "Finisher MetLife Ironman 70.3 Cozumel". Date is on the back.

So I did an Ironman.

However, as I was I a relay, I only did the swim (for this one).

I usually tell people that I did a half Ironman or half Ironman-distance Triathlon.

And to the person who said that an Ironman is only important for Triathletes, I disagree. Non Triathletes are the ones who find it pretty amazing that we do full distance and half distance events. Hell, a lot of them are awed by us doing a Sprint.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Please...Half or Ironman? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
It's called branding. WTC has given it's participants the right to embellish. Deal with it.

Btw, most non-triathletes don't give a shit. Mostly it's just triathletes who think doing an IM is a big deal. It really isn't.

Sorry, maybe it's just my opinion, but I always thought the prevalent view was the opposite?

Non-triathletes don't care about your times or nutrition plan, but if you tell you did an IM it sounds like you did some super crazy out-of-this-world event and are fucked out of your mind. While to us triathletes, even though it is obviously still tough, it's just a longer race distance and we understand that with the right training and race day execution it's achievable by almost everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say the troll force is strong with this one, but it's really too transparent to say that on Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The masses do not make the difference between a half and a full unless you lay down the numbers. All they remember is Ironman. A coworker did a half, and he was always mentioning it was a half. People just kept saying Ironman regardless. Not that it matters anyway. Are we trying to impress the average joe or being all we can be?

Prev Next