Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :(
Quote | Reply
Hey Folks,

Last Sunday I did my long run and my heel was killing me later in the day. Went to a podiatrist and was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis. I have been going to ART and it's helping. I didn't run at all last week to give it time to heal.

Today I ran for the first time, I biked 60 miles and then ran 3 miles. It felt moderate, but still uncomfortable. I am concerned that it could be pretty painful doing 13 miles. I have been running in Newton Gravity for about 1.5 half years, I have custom arthritics. Today while running in my Newtons I definitely felt like they could be part of the problem. I'm thinking of switching shoes to give a little more cushion and support

Any general recommendation when shoe shopping tomorrow?
- Cushioning? I would assume I want a lot? Correct?
- Heel to toe drop? I would guess I want a 10mm+? Correct?

This is so frustrating to be tackling a new injury and shoe change 2 weeks before a race. ugh!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: elag: Sep 7, 14 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [elag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain...I've been managing PF for about the last 11 months. It's been pretty good since early this spring, but I bit at the Newton deal on the Distance (?) at 6pm.com. I've only used them three times - each time I could feel the PF flare up during/immediately after my run (moderate distances, 5 mi or so). Normally run in a mix of shoes, recently Kinvara and Ghost. Just my experience. I do think that changing the shoes around did seem helpful during my PF recovery - just moving the pressure points around, I guess...
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [elag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skechers Go Run (incl. Rides Ultras and Mebs, you know designed for that Boston guy). There is zero guarantee, but they've fixed PF sort of magically with a few of my friends, and for me in 2011.

(and on edit, my standard disclaimer is to make sure you aren't over-striding - it's a common cause of PF)
Last edited by: Pacific John: Sep 7, 14 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran in Newtons for the past three years. I got PF two years ago and healed after using Superfeet insoles (black). Got the new style Newtons a few months ago and ran with the original insoles for a few weeks... PF. Put my Superfeet insoles back in... all good! PF usually develops slowly and takes a while to heal. Once you get it you know the early signs and can take steps to fix it. I'd definitely try some new shoes and / or insoles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High heel drop if you're striking on the heel, low drop if you're striking midfoot. But regardless, you just need to get inserts and roll your arch on a frozen water bottle.

But really though, inserts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Ghost has a great heel-drop and arch support for this previously-PF'd guy. I had good luck with it.

*KEY* - keep the calf/soleus stretched!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Stinson Tarmac , I had the same for months and it was gone after moving to the hokas , love em
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newton shoes where nothing but problems for me....that would be the first thing I would change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is your PF located? If you are a neutral runner, the Brooks Ghost is good for PF in the mid-foot and the Brooks Glycerin is good for PF in the heel. For stability, ASICS - Kayano and the GT-2000 are good for PF as well.

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Keep icing(post workout) and stretching calves(morning and night) everyday. If your shoes have been working for 1.5 years, why change them now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try kinesio tape. KT Tape. I periodically get sharp heel pain from a tight achilles/calf. I put some KT tape on the heel and it feels much better right away. Look on youtube under KT Tape heel pain. Or you could try to look up KT tape PF pain. There may be a taping method for PF. Won't fix the problem but may at least get you through the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in Newtons and Altra for races, but on recovery days I wear my Ghost so it takes some stress off my feet. The stretching and icing is a must and rolling your foot on a golf ball or a frozen water bottle helps too.

Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!!!!!

Some additional info...

When I hurt my foot last week, I went to the running store to get super comfy cushy shoes for WALKING around. The shoes I choose randomly where the ghosts! A bunch of you recommended these shoes, so that is lucky! I have found them to be very comfortable for every day walking around. Today I went for a run in them and they felt pretty good.

I have custom orthotics made by a running podiatrist. I have been using them for 3 years. Last week I went to the Podiatrist when I initially was injured. He TOLD me he added an additional layer of cushioning to my orthotics Today I was looking at the orthotics closely and notice he added some more support on the arch. I think its to much support and agitating my foot! Grrrrr

Since my injury I have been using the orthotics as much as I could during the day. But I kept finding that it agitated my foot, so I would swap to no shoes or swap to some beat up shoes without my orthotics. For whatever reason, my foot is MORE agitated with the orthotics. I think I also get relief walking bear foot. This seems to be the opposite of what everyone else says?

I just went for a run. I ran 3 miles with no orthotics, my foot felt pretty good. Then I ran 2 miles with the orthotics and my foot got more agitated as I ran. Then I ran 1 more miles with no orthotics. It seemed my foot was agitated by this point.

I have been using KT tape. It seems to relieve the pain a tad... and it's comfy

I'm so frustrated right now. I have two weeks until my race and I have so many different options that may or may not be helping...
- My pain is mostly in my arch, less on my heel now. Where do you guys feel the pain?
- Maybe I should dump my orthotics and just use the provided inserts by the Ghosts? This seems to be the most comfortable and least irratating
- Maybe I should try some super feet?
- My pain is during the run? Which seems different then what I have been reading others saying. Do you guys get pain during the run or just after? My reading says most people find relief from pain while they run.

ugh!
Last edited by: elag: Sep 8, 14 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 YEARS with PF kept me from running. I'd try every six months or so...and it returned hard immediately.

I did everything short of surgery to fix. Night splints, massage, active release, injections, stretching, taping, strengthening...everything.

One run in a pair of Hoka Bondi3s and I was cured. Started running this past April and haven't had any foot pain. Was doing 12 mile runs within two weeks, after 6 years off.
Last edited by: Ashburn: Sep 8, 14 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashburn, I read stuff like your post and it makes me want to run out and buy 4 pairs haha.

Why did you choose the Bondi over other pairs?

Thanks for your input!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question but did you take the insoles out of your shoes and replace them with your orthotics or did you just put your orthotics in without taking the stock insoles from the shoe out? Also, get a feetures plantar sleeve or the straussberg sock and roll your foot on a golf ball. I've told a lot of people the golf ball trick and they've said it produces results. I don't know how bad your PF is, but I'd definitely do anything if I was 2 weeks out from a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, when I put in the orthotics, I took the insoles out :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elag wrote:
Ashburn, I read stuff like your post and it makes me want to run out and buy 4 pairs haha.

Why did you choose the Bondi over other pairs?

Thanks for your input!

Eric

That was the heaviest, cushiest one. Figured go all-in for starters and see how it went.

I now have a pair of the new lighter Clifton and they're working good so far, too.

But I still do long runs in the Bondi since they're so cushy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was like you when I had PF. I bought custom orthotics and was advised to wear shoes all the time.

Doing both made it far worse. Took me months to realize that for me barefoot at home was best, and that too much arch support in shoes made it worse.

It still took a while to solve. I used the Strasbourg sock a lot. The thing I found most helpful was massaging the side of my heel up to the ankle bone.

I still get twinges from time to time and really can't wear anything with much in the way of arch support.

Good luck with finding a solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too started having PF problems since started running again a few months ago and it is frustrating to say the least. I will try some of the recommendations here including KT (never tried this) and maybe the Hoka One One. I just need to decide between the Clifton or the Huaka. I do run some trails from time to time and I wonder if the Clifton is also a good shoes for that? Thanks!
Last edited by: kayumanggi65: Sep 12, 14 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late to the party but a broken collarbone left me running Chicago on 9 weeks of real training and I completely destroyed my left foot arch on race day. I had been wearing Brooks Beast (heavy motion control) for six months prior to the collarbone incident after finding them better than about 7 other brands but ultimately decided after that race that maybe bulky cushioning isn't better.

I now run on the PureCadence 2's and have had amazing improvement with them. I've also eliminated my heel strike that was always a huge problem for me on the motion control shoes which had a larger drop to the toe box. Between modifying my stride and using KT like it was religion, I was back to full runs within around 4 months and zero pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the bondi 3. I went to them and they didn't make me faster, but all the injuries went away. Old shoe was a saucony ride 5, which I liked, but they beat me up. For a triathlete, I'm considerably short for my weight and in my first 70.3, I can't tell you how grateful I was for that extra padding.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your 70.3 is right around the corner, anything you can do to keep the inflammation down the better.

When you sleep, keep your foot dorsiflexed (if your physician hasn't recommended already), this is your foot pulled toward you, not pointed. This will keep that tendon stretched during the night when it is not under load. Rig something up yourself or use the strassberg sock. And like what others say, ice. Could try anti-flammitory foods too like tart red cherry juice concentrate (concentrated is key, not just juice).

Another aspect, is that after your race, focus on recovery and heal that PF and then really dial in on your form to see if you can alleviate any stressors there. Bobby McGee (Olympic run coach) is the bomb for that. Watch this video interview with him, free advice and jam-packed content. If you can make subtle changes and train your body to be more efficient you are going to have a killer 2015 season.

Good luck on the 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [QueenCity1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hoka Bondi 3 totally saved me when I had PF. Had not run for 8 weeks and was getting nowhere. Was able to immediately start running again gradually once I got the Bondi's.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis- shoe recommendation? Two weeks to my 1st 70.3 :( [shawrx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also suffered from PF this season after I increased the miles too quickly leading up to the Cleveland Half Marathon in May. I took out the SuperFeet Orange Soles that I had bought with my Ghost 6's and had a little more relief. I put the inserts that came in the shoes back in. The arch of the SuperFeet sole was bothering the arch of my foot.

Could the SuperFeet have caused the PF or can I go back to them?
Quote Reply

Prev Next