Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Picking up the pieces.
Quote | Reply
This season has been all I'd hoped for. I turned 50, won my AG at the Patriot Half (4th overall), won my AG at IMLP, snagging a KQ in the process, and had set a goal of winning my AG at 70.3 Worlds at MT.

I was out for my last ride before shipping the P5 up to Canada and 5 miles when a car turned into my path, sent me flying, skidding, scraping along the pavement and it all ended. Broken ribs, broken hand, wicked road rash, snapped my Zipp disc and destroyed the P5.

Goodbye Worlds, goodbye Kona. Feels like going from one in a million to one of millions. Not sure where to start again. Anyone have this sort of thing happen? I know I'm lucky to be alive and I'll heal, but damn. DAMN.
Looking for smiles.
Last edited by: dalestephanos: Sep 1, 14 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [dalestephanos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll heal and you'll get a new bike out of it. What's the problem :)

Seriously, that really sucks, but it could have easily been much much worse. Any chance of being healed up in time for kona?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never won anything except the pity of my friends and family. I can only imagine how awesome it must feel to be awesome, and not just a legend in my own lunchtime!

I have had a lot of crashes (skiing and cycling) with 37 broken bones so far and more than my share of road rash as well. I've battled with insurance companies about bike replacements, so I feel your pain brother.

The glass is half empty or half full (or even twice as big as it needs to be if you're an engineer), so you can approach it two ways.

1. Grumble about your situation, miss Kona, get a new bike, heal, recover and spend the winter getting back ready for next year.
2. Look at the bright side (you're alive and not tooooo badly damaged) miss Kona, get a new bike, heal, recover and spend the winter getting back ready for next year.

I'd suggest that you make the most of your enforced break. Do all the stuff you need to do (organize new bike, take care of injuries and such) but also spend some of your new found free time, visiting friends and family etc. Hell, let your hair down, go out for a pizza and some beer.

Triathlon is a huge part of our lives, but believe it or not, and I'm sure not everyone reading this will agree, it's NOT the only thing in our lives. Your bike demands a huge amount of your time. Take what used to be bike time, and treat your friends to a surprise visit, or have them over for dinner :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
June 20th 2014, t-boned by a SUV. Lucky for me it was 2 weeks after I qualified for ITU World's long course. Still recovering, Some depression and now PT. Spent some time building a new bike and now I,'m wrapping my mind around the best way to get into the best shape and head to Motala Sweden next June. Hang in there it gets better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are many stories of huge comebacks from fellow STers

As examples, look at Jordan, Dev and this guy
He just won IMMT 50-55 and is doing Ultraman in Hawaii this year

You will come back stronger than ever. The gifted ones do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks.

But - make some lemonade out of those lemons:
Assuming you've already got everything for Kona booked - go anyway.
You will almost certainly have more "fun" not having to compete there.
Enjoy everything else about being there as best you can.

You're obviously a very talented triathlete, so (to paraphrase Ahnold),
You'll be back.

And on a shiny new bike to boot.

Heal quickly!

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Sep 1, 14 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fractured my elbow two weeks before eagleman this year. Was in the best shape of my life and was gunning for a kona spot. 3 months, 2 surgeries, 1 STAFF infection, and several doctor visits later, I go back to the doctor tomorrow for him to decide when he wants to take my screws and plate out of my arm (another surgery). Been the toughest 3 months of my life and unfortunately it's still not over. The first few weeks sucks. I had several emotional break downs as I couldn't go to work (was in too much pain and on all kinds of meds) and I couldn't keep my mind from wandering on what could have been. Yes it could be worse. But use this as more fuel to the fire. The reward will be that much sweeter. That's what I'm telling myself at least.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else has said. This totally sucks.

For me:
1. 2010 - 4 weeks prior to Kona, truck turned into me on the bike, I barely missed t-boning, over the bars, broken wrist and finger. I ended up racing Kona anyway.
2. 2011 - last long run in Kona, 2 weeks out from the race, tibal stress fracture, could only swim and bike on race day.
3. 2013 - IMCabo - stress fracture in mile 3 of the marathon and had to drop out. Built my training up to race at IMC that summer and 6 weeks prior, another bike crash, slipped out of sweaty aero bars, concussion, broken collarbone, surgery. Came back again and raced IMCOZ 2013 and won my age group and Kona qualified.

I agree with what someone said, if you are able, go to Kona anyway, volunteer, take in the race.

You will come back and will be stronger. It is lucky you are alive and not in much worse shape. Knowing that helped me. Set your next goal and get on with your healing. It definitely gets better. This isn't the last time in your life you will be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Just go. You won't "race" Kona like you had hoped, but participating and finishing is awesome. It's unlike any other race and race week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you know why God invented the Compu Trainer. Don't bike on open roads. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sage advice from someone who presumably has never stacked on rollers :)

IMO if u can't ride outside why ride at all...
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelorider wrote:
Now you know why God invented the Compu Trainer. Don't bike on open roads. Tim

If life was all treadmills and trainers, I would just play videogames. Way more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow....that totally sucks. I can't relate to the degree of what you were so close to, but have come back from my share if injuries.

Give yourself a few days to feel bad and have a pity party. You have earned that.....but then be done with it. Lay out a plan for next year and start executing.

FWIW, you have convinced me to finish my last few bike workouts inside this week as I head to IMWI. I had been going back and forth on this, but your story convinced me. No need to tempt fate now....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, that sucks. My condolances. I know you are probably tired of hearing this and it won't make you feel better now, BUT you could be dead, in a comma or in a wheelchair wondering if your dick will ever work again and who is changing your next diaper.

Heal up, train hard over the winter and I will see you at the Patriot in June 2015 .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much fun was setting those goals, living that committed lifestyle, being that dialed in, etc.?

If you're like most of us, then VERY fun. While some sacrifice is involved, we wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, you were robbed of the icing on this year's racing cake. However, you have the ability (thank goodness), to do it all again next year. That is very fortunate, Kona, MT, or not.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal up...then get your ass back to training...I am in your same age group and will see you at the Patriot half next year, and while you will crush me I have decided to not lose to you by more than 30 minutes...the loser buys a cold one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early April I was struck from behind while riding, resulted in a concussion, stress fracture to my knee, and torn labrum. Next Thursday I hear from the doctor whether I can start running and riding outside again. Swimming is out of the question for months as I understand it.

Like you, I won the lottery and survived what could have killed me.

You've been robbed of some incredible things, and deserve to be pissed.

As for being one of millions, rather than one in a million, I think I understand that. Coming out of the hospital, going back to where it happened, hearing about the crash on the news, I was struck by how indifference of it all. Other than being where I was at the time, I had nothing to do with the event that nearly killed me. A few days later, the story was no longer in the news, the bruising started to come down. In the scheme of things what happened to me didn't stop the world spinning, didn't change much outside the circle of my family and work, didn't really matter.

This stuff is going on all the time in the world and it doesn't take long to find people who are suffering more through no fault of their own than oneself. It's almost like vertigo to sense how commonplace tragedy and suffering are, and how valuable joy and happiness must be in a world of chaos. So take heart in being one of billions---bad happenings and pain are inevitable---welcome to the club.

Measuring what you lost is the task of the insurance clerk and the judge. Turning what happened into a reservoir of new strength and compassion is your work. Be pissed, then transition to what's next.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about this. Is this your one and only Kona? I ask because i had a bad wreck (self induced) on my last ride before leaving for Kona once - went anyway, went slow, but it was an awesome experience. Interestingly, being injured and having absolutely no pressure meant that I was sort of a participating spectator and it was fun!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery . . .

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 2, 14 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Really sorry this happened. At least you mostly OK...and alive. Could have been worse, for sure.

This type of of story further confirms why I've been on my trainer only the last 2 weeks. Too paranoid some asshole will hit me and destroy what amounts to years of hard work leading up to my race Sunday.

I'd go to Kona and go slow if it was me.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry for your loss. Your loss of dreams, plans and health. As many say, it could have been worse. You are alive. Take strength in your family. They love you with broken ribs. They don't care about Kona (well, probably not as much as you do). They care about you. Don't let this take away hope.

Many here have commented on inattentive drivers as a problem for bicyclist safety. As you may now have a little extra time to reflect on things - consider this. Are drivers themselves the problem? Or the automobile centric, stroad (a word constructed by Chuck Marohn, founder of StrongTowns) infrastructure of todays America. Yes, stroads. Those asphalt surfaces you and I drive on daily to get to the store, school or work. Stroads are designed for speed, not safety.

Until I find non-stroad like pieces of asphalt to ride, I, too, am mostly on my trainer/rollers.

I wish you a full recovery.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked up your time at IMLP and I thought "holy hell that SOB is fast!". You aren't "one of millions" if you won your AG at IMLP or came in 4th overall at your 70.3 distance races. Those achievements stand on there own.
Quote Reply
Re: Picking up the pieces. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
I looked up your time at IMLP and I thought "holy hell that SOB is fast!". You aren't "one of millions" if you won your AG at IMLP or came in 4th overall at your 70.3 distance races. Those achievements stand on there own.

Damn, I made the mistake of looking too. Probably the reason he didn't get hit from behind like I did is he was just moving too $#ING fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get better soon, get a new bike, new wheels, new motivation... to make this year pale in comparison to next year, both before and after the accident.

Fuckin' A man. Fuckin' A. :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ndhoffma [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched your race progress during IMLP. Still impressed with what a great race you had that day in our age group AND overall.

That being said...1986 I qualified for Kona and a bit later broke my Tibia badly in a pick up football game(one where my foot was bent unnaturally when the shoe came off. Doctor says "no more running, maybe ever, and 11 weeks no weight whatsoever on it". My legs are still not symmetrical.

Ended up taking 14 years off of almost all endurance sports but became a good golfer to get some exercise. Got challenged by my old boss to run a marathon before I turned 40. I returned very cautiously.
10 marathon finishes, countless triathlons, 7 IM finishes and some pretty damn good run times in some races(for a guy that wasn't supposed to be able to run safely again).

Maybe more importantly, I've been involved heavily in charity functions ever since my broken leg. I'd like to think that my community involvement has helped to improve healthcare, and saved lives, in our area for the better.

Good luck and move forward. Kona awaits
Quote Reply

Prev Next