Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way!
Quote | Reply
I thought this group might enjoy seeing the effects of an abrupt decline in training. I'm 2.5 weeks out from hip replacement. My training has been getting poorer in the past 6 months as the hip made running slow , painful or impossible and occasionally made cycling not much fun either. Once I picked an OR date my motivation to suffer on the trainer in the winter has been poor. Nonetheless I managed to keep training with more upper body weight training. A typical week was 90 min str, 2 hours swimming and 4 hours indoor cycling, plus lots of dog walks. I know I could have / should have swam more, but but but.

Anyway, according to the Garmin, my pre op my resting HR was 42-43 bpm, HRV, 44 ms. After just 2 weeks of sitting around and not even walking much my resting HR goes to 51, HRV down to 35ms, and I gained 5 pounds! I'm very happy to be able to get back on the trainer just this week. I'm only able to spin at low effort up what was to my zone 2 level and I'm 20-30 watts lower based on my RPE and breathing. I'm planning 2 more weeks of steady trainer work and MIGHT ride outside in 2 more weeks. It'll depend on if I can get onto the bike without a step stool and if I keep having not much pain in the new hip.

so detraining is real. But I plan on being back in shape for the the summer.

Brian
ā€œEat and Drink, spin the legs and youā€™re going to effin push (today).ā€ A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m in the same boat. Did a kidney donation end Nov. ā€˜22. to give my dad some extra chapters in his book of life. Took training up after about 8 weeks after surgery, but man, still running behind in swim speed, bike wattage and running speed.
About 10-12 weeks ago I finally felt it came back in the direction of shape I had before the surgery but for the last 6-7 weeks my bike fitting / bike business got so busy Iā€™m back to be very, very out of shapeā€¦ā€¦

It is a bit frustrating but seeing my old man doing well makes up for a lot of it :-).

I need a few more weeks to get out of that extremely busy period and will get back into training mode, but had to give my Challenge Roth entry back. No way I could make that

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giving a kidney to your dad is the best reason I could imagine to be out of shape. Iā€™ll be cheering for your fitness.

Brian
ā€œEat and Drink, spin the legs and youā€™re going to effin push (today).ā€ A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
Giving a kidney to your dad is the best reason I could imagine to be out of shape. Iā€™ll be cheering for your fitness.

Oh, it is, thanks, but at 55 that ring around the belly seems to be growing by the day :-) šŸ˜‚

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great time to get some strength training in.
Seated calf raises
Upper body strength
Isometrics on the quads and hamstrings

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

As will I. Please keep us updated as to how you both are doing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

As will I. Please keep us updated as to how you both are doing.

Thanks, my dad actually is doing great. It was very emotional to see how color came back to his face immediately after the surgery went well. He started pissing for the next 12 hrs and lost 9 liters of fluid that was built up inside his body.
But now going to a almost a year and a half further he is doing great, have not been so good in the last decade. It was a easy call fir me to make and after six months of all sorts of tests it became apparent that our tissue match was like 98,9% similar.

So the chances that it would be successful were quite big.

Anyway, I just need to get back in training mode ;-).

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
I thought this group might enjoy seeing the effects of an abrupt decline in training. I'm 2.5 weeks out from hip replacement. My training has been getting poorer in the past 6 months as the hip made running slow , painful or impossible and occasionally made cycling not much fun either. Once I picked an OR date my motivation to suffer on the trainer in the winter has been poor. Nonetheless I managed to keep training with more upper body weight training. A typical week was 90 min str, 2 hours swimming and 4 hours indoor cycling, plus lots of dog walks. I know I could have / should have swam more, but but but.

Anyway, according to the Garmin, my pre op my resting HR was 42-43 bpm, HRV, 44 ms. After just 2 weeks of sitting around and not even walking much my resting HR goes to 51, HRV down to 35ms, and I gained 5 pounds! I'm very happy to be able to get back on the trainer just this week. I'm only able to spin at low effort up what was to my zone 2 level and I'm 20-30 watts lower based on my RPE and breathing. I'm planning 2 more weeks of steady trainer work and MIGHT ride outside in 2 more weeks. It'll depend on if I can get onto the bike without a step stool and if I keep having not much pain in the new hip.

so detraining is real. But I plan on being back in shape for the the summer.

Had surgery nearly 4 weeks ago & saw similar data.
HRV is below normal, HR is above normal, but thankfully I am back on the bike..!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a routine hernia repair go somewhat pear shaped a couple of years ago. I went in to surgery lean and mean, thinking I'd be training in a couple of weeks. I barely walked for 3 weeks post surgery. It was around 3-4 months before I could meaningfully exercise (and by meaningfully I mean do such challenging movements as laying flat on my back and raising one knee to vertical, or deadlifting just a barbell).

The detraining effect is shocking. Especially so after surgery when your body is working overtime to repair itself. Make sure you give yourself the time to heal properly.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I'm now almost 4 months out from hip surgery. Hip's doing well, I'm getting back to being more active. I don't keep track of most numbers so I can't tell you exactly how much detraining there was, but it was significant. The first time I got back on a bicycle I biked a kilometer and it got me totally winded. I'm now back to where I was presurgery, just with a lot less pain in my hip! so that part's nice.

The one quirk on my part - surgery just crushed my appetite. My wife brought me a very basic dinner post surgery, mostly just rice. I think I had 3 bites and said I couldn't eat anymore. 4 days in the hospital, I ate more than that but still way less than I usually would. So without trying I emerged thinner, yet detrained.

but the priority has been getting the hip healthy, and as i've been able to do more, the fitness/conditioning is coming back. but i'm definitely taking more of a long-haul approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting numbers, good luck with your hip replacement and recovery. I used the pending surgery to get in good bike miles to strengthen my hip for a faster recovery. Found the couple of months prior hard to walk but could still bike.

In my early 60s I had a resting hr of 48 and a measured VO2 in the upper 50s. Since in the last five years I have been on the medical train and canā€™t seem to get off. With both shoulders torn and needing repair, both hips replaced and prostrate repair surgery, I have either been in surgery or recovering from it. My numbers actually dropped during that time to an overnight resting hr of 32 and a calculated VO2 of upper 40s. I discovered in the pre op for my second shoulder surgery I was in atrial flutter (300 beats/minute) and needed a cardioversion followed by an ablation. Currently waiting on a more permanent fix with a pacemaker implant scheduled for April to provide better signal to the ventricles.

So in the meantime I am doing nothing but base miles to stay fit. Any hard stuff sends me into a low hr afib where you think you are going to dieā€¦.not a good feeling. My week is 8k yards of swimming, 30 miles of running and 125 miles biking. Hope to be back racing the end of this year to prepare for my new 70 age group come 2025.
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [Tobrien55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good luck to you as well. Your training week sounds pretty good to me.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that most Orthopedic Surgeons would be overwhelmed by what you are doing.
It often takes a year to recover from joint replacement.
I just saw an older man with a complete ankle replacement, it might take him more than a year.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Physiology after surgery, or OMG my numbers are all going the wrong way! [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a good son Jeroen.
Quote Reply