Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake.
Quote | Reply

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the available resources of course, this does look like something that can be cleaned up by this weekend.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm sure they could clean that up pretty quickly. I would be more concerned with the chance that someone determines the hillside is unstable and/or unsafe.
I think that depends a lot on the rain that they get over the next few days...
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point. Even the clean-up is a little risky. I guess you kind of figure that whatever is coming down has likely come down in the aftershocks. At least I would hope so...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But as someone mentioned, can they make it so the hillside won't continue to give way. That would be the part of the clean-up that would take the longest. Based on what I see here, I can't see how they could use this part of the road for the race. The left side of the road does not look stable at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't say that. It looks fine to me. I am sure the race will go on without a hitch. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They shouldn't hold the race. Too risky and the available resources shouldn't be used solely to get the area ready for Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, remember, it probably isn't fair to armchair quarterback the call on whether the race goes or not. The Big Island has some experience in dealing with earthquakes and adverse weather. It is part of their environment. I'd suggest it's best tot leave the call to them.

Also, I do have a high degree of faith in WTC's judgement on this affair. If they say the race is a go, then I'd suggest it is a go with no additional risks above and beyond the reasonable and customary risks associated with the event.

I wonder if this made the water murky?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure an injection of $$$ and an excuse for a party may be just what the locals need by Saturday. As far as it being a misuse of resources to get the road ready for the race; there is really only one road of any significance on the Big Island, that's the Queen K. The sooner it's put back in tip-top shape the better for triathletes and Islander's alike.

One more quick ride and the bike goes in the box for the plane ride tomorrow. I'm going to go practice my bunny hopping skills.

Anytthing needed over there or that I should pack from home as a late arrival?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on Kauai during all the flooding. I've never seen roads fixed so fast. So don't worry too much they'll probably have it fixed in no time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I wonder if this made the water murky?

Tom,

I thought I would mention I had a friend (a slowtwitch favorite Linsey Pickell, now Linsey Corbin, she just got married) out swimming during the earthquake and she kept thinking how cloudy the water looked to her. She thought the water was really rough, but as is usual for her, she just kept plugging away thinking she needed to be prepared for the worse on race day. She was actually in the water from 6:45 until about 7:30 (earthquake was at 7:07) and didn't realize until getting back near the pier that anything weird had happened. Then she saw all the firetrucks and ambulances and found out there had been an earthquake when she was out there, I guess that explains the murky water, right? :) Pretty crazy stuff, just glad no one got hurt!

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [MGordon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa. That is second only to the SCUBA divers at Phi Phi island in Thailand that were down when the tsunami actually passed over them.

Incredible stuff. I'm pleased to hear it sounds like your friend and everyone else is OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there is any possibility only the pros will do the whole course. The AGers would do some modified loop version...just speculation. IMHO this looks pretty bad, and resources should go towards helping the islanders get back to normal living. If the Queen K is the most imporant portion of the island's infrastruture to get the economy back on track, then fix the Queen K. If there are other priorities, then those should be addressed.

We already know where IM falls on the priority list with the island and how it forced WTC to change the date due to a cruise. I am pretty sure the IM is not on the forefront of the minds of the disaster relief services organizations' minds, nor should it be.

I hope there is a race, but I would not be surprised to see some major modifications to the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a similar note, what would it feel like to be on a bike riding when an earthquake struck. I'm pretty sure you would have some road rash, but I'm trying to imaginge what it would feel like.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize its the Queen K and all, but if safety continues to be an issue, what about changing the route?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops, yeah not sure what I was thinking sorry all. I am quite certain everything will be sorted out by this weekend no problem at all.
:)
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously spoken by someone who hasn't worked their butt off year and year out to finally get a shot at this race. So for you just make a statement for them to just not hold the race is alittle insulting. It is a dream for some of us to get to the race. I leave tommorow.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Konatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck. Have a good race. Perhaps the Island Gods having released some of their frustrations you will have a kinder, gentler Kona this year. Best of luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Konatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you serious?
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of Queen K, Highway 19, up toward Hawi post earthquake. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bring an extra tire and not expect to see any sharks swimming below........but do they know that we aren't dinner in murly soup??????

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man. Sorry about the post above. Alittle edgy about the whole situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck out there. I really hope you get the opportunity to race. However, don't be like those tourists in Phuket following the tsunami who showed up and said, "We are going to have a great vacation; tsunami be damned..." The people who live there have to get their lives together, so keep that in perspective; its your hobby, but it is their lives. It is understandable to be on edge, but we should all be thankful we have a roof over our heads and get to do this race for fun. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next