Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The white Looks are supposed to be following here in the next week or two at the most I'm told. They look nice based on what I saw at the Interbike tradeshow.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Have you taken the P4 out for a ride? Can you report on the ride quality, stiffness, etc..?

Do you have any hydration suggestions with the P4? I just can't see that bike as a feasible option for IM racing. Can you really see refilling the custom bottle while hammering at 25 mph? The bottle is too small and placed too low on the frame IMO. I know it's fast, but I think we should consider how much time you will lose if you are not properly hydrated.

Only option I see is an aero bottle between the aerobars and a hydrotail -- still not optimal. I think the P3 will continue to dominate the 70.3/IM market. Short TTs and sprints/olys are what the P4 is really designed for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. They're both ugly as fuck. Makes me glad I don't own one.

"Paulo knows where to find me."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The P4 is what happens when function dictates design. This is what works- what is believed to be fastest. For many people who say they want the most aerodynamic frame and that is their primary agenda- this is it...
Throw the Zipp bars on that thing and it would "look" wicked fast. Yeah, I know, it is fastest in the wind tunnel, these bars are more ergodynamic, more adjustibilty, blah, blah, blah. Zipp bars (or more S-bends for that matter) simply look faster and sexier. So, if you want to portray speed and sex appeal in a photo, you gotta go with the Zipps.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With aid station at every 10miles in a ironman... there is only need for one or two bottle really.. so the p4 aero bottle and put another one if you want on the aerobar horizontal between your arms......that bottle can be exchange at every aid station. So really, if someone as a problem with hydratation on a p4 during a ironman, i would recommend him to get a good coach and learn the art of nutrition during a ironman.

look at many of the pro racing with one bottle only....they are a good exemple of how to do it......

Personaly, i see the p4 as the ideal ironman bike...... 2000cal in the aero bottle, and gatorade or water bottle between my arms as i go to aid station...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. However, I've been curious about the spare - where does it go if you're using the P4's aero bottle for nutrition and a horizontal bar-bottle for hydration? A saddle-banana (is that what we're calling it now)?
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [dk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just tape it with tape under the saddle, if you use clincher like me, you can easily put two tube under the seat very tight and clean with 2 co2 cartridges and tire lever and you are all set.... you should be able to tape them together under the seat and behind the seat post so it s SUPER clean...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And the more angular and alluring look of the 596:

The P4- Form follows function:

Tom, how far in front of the BB is the saddle on the LOOK? Also, the LOOK also accepts the 5mm post, right - the R5 (as opposed to the R32 post shown, which has 32mm of setback/setforward).

Also, how does the seatpost binder on the P4 work? Can you show a closeup? It's clearly different than than the p3c // p2c.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo has to be kidding spec'ing the P4 with those crappy vision bars. Anyone who is going to slap down $4800 for a frameset or $6800 for a bike isn't going to have that crap for their cockpit. They should spec the bike with the Zipp Vuka or the 3T ventus. I'm going with the 3T myself as I'm pretty sure Vroomen White didn't get their 20% drag reduction over the P3 using Vision bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [Greg@SDXTrainin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cant wait to see the gel dispenser on the the P5

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, there is actually a bicycle that the P4 is better looking than, and who has arms long enough to reach that water bottle?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cervelo has to be kidding spec'ing the P4 with those crappy vision bars. Anyone who is going to slap down $4800 for a frameset or $6800 for a bike isn't going to have that crap for their cockpit. They should spec the bike with the Zipp Vuka or the 3T ventus. I'm going with the 3T myself as I'm pretty sure Vroomen White didn't get their 20% drag reduction over the P3 using Vision bars.
Yeah, those things are totally crap. They've only won, what 2, 3 world time trial championships? Total garbage. Burn them! BURN THEM!!!!

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Last edited by: pito00: Nov 12, 08 23:01
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as others have said the look is ugly as fuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always shoot bikes in 53x11... 54x11 is even better... 56x11 even better...pedals at 3 and 9... the LOOK was done a disservice. Go to the box for 2 minutes and feel the shame.

Scott

Scott Murison

http://www.wildrock.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, funny, but true. It really is a good thing that there is not a Felt, a Trek TTX, a Scott Plasma 2, or just about any other popular Tri bike next to the P4, it might just turn everyone off. Also, until this bike proves itself in real race conditions lets not say that it is the fastest bike out there. Talk is cheap, lets prove it first..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

by 3t ventus, i hope you mean 3t brezza, since speccing a ventus would mean that a large proportion of people would have to throw the aerobars in the garbage as it wouldn't allow them to fit to the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's official-- two of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. There is no reason why a bike can't be "the fastest ever" and more aesthetically pleasing than those two bikes. In a few years, you'll see-- both Cervelo and Look will have "faster" bikes that won't be so u-g-l-y. Luckily for me, I'm slow enough that I'm allowed to still care about aesthetics. If I ever reach my physical potential and can't get any faster on the fastest attractive bike, then maybe I'll change my tune about aesthetics mattering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be curious to see both bikes set up with the same geometry. Same size (or close) frame, with the same drop, reach, and all that jazz.
The look just looks faster, but I think its partly due to the way its set up.
Any chance that you can make this happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [jascott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's official-- two of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. .

Agreed, 100%

http://bryanlh.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please post a picture of a bike that looks good to you. I'm not trying to argue, but the two bikes posted look very different from each other, yet you rank them #1 and #2 in historical ugliness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's official-- two of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. There is no reason why a bike can't be "the fastest ever" and more aesthetically pleasing than those two bikes. In a few years, you'll see-- both Cervelo and Look will have "faster" bikes that won't be so u-g-l-y. Luckily for me, I'm slow enough that I'm allowed to still care about aesthetics. If I ever reach my physical potential and can't get any faster on the fastest attractive bike, then maybe I'll change my tune about aesthetics mattering.
Another vote for potentially two of the ugliest bikes ever, side by side.
While they may be undisputed marvels of engineering and the most efficient tools of the trade, they just don't have the classic lines of many other rides.

I think the Cervelo S3 is a fantastic looking bike, as was the 2008 P3C. I think Look's 2008 line up was pretty nice too. Honestly, I think it would be very hard for me to think of 2 bikes as ugly as the P4 and the 596 even though they look so different. Like others, I respect the engineering though. If you own either of these bikes, feel free to laugh as you pass me. I'm cool with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [MI_James] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don' t really like "tradition", so in my eyes, the 596 is one the best looking bikes I've ever seen. I love the broken top tube, I love the front end, and the huge stays. It looks as though its doing 30 mph standing still.

The P4 on the other hand looks like a square brick, from the side. Its all about "ugly". The P4 may be slightly faster, maybe, for some of us, all depends on your position. I'm sure that bike can be slower for some of us depending on your position on said bike.

Remember, I love the Zipp 2001 frames, one of the fastest ever produced and looks like its going 30 mph standing still.

I don't want a bike that looks like every other bike in transition. I like to be different. I'd bet that most of the frames out there, for my position, wouldn't gain me more then a few seconds aerodynamically when compared to each other. Now on the other hand, with the new ZED cranks, huge bottom bracket, and the elastomer in the seat post, the 596 may just be faster then anything I've ever had. That and the fact that I love the looks of the 596.............I bought one!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The P4 may be slightly faster, maybe, for some of us, all depends on your position.
Your position would have nothing to do with it - either it is more aero, or it isn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Shoot: Cervelo P4 and Look 596. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's still remember, no one anywhere has won anything on it yet, so it is not the fastest thing there is, it is only marketing still......
Quote Reply

Prev Next